Late model clutch swaps

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
fester

Late model clutch swaps

Post by fester »

Guys just wondering if anyone has ever looked into whether the later model (900SS etc) clutch assembly can be installed into the 906 engine. Apart from operating on the opposite side there appears to be a blank on the left that looks very similar to the clutch slave of the later bikes, at least without looking at tehm side by side.

Was wondering if it was a matter of getting the slave, pushrod, drum, clutch pack and later cover off a later model.

I am assuming it is not possible given I have s not seen any info on it yet.

Fester
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Later 906 modells had same clutch package, as ab. 90-97 900SS, so those fits to Your 906. First 906 came with samekind system, as 750 Paso have, (slave sylinder in right side). And very many plate systems have been used in those later modell clutches... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
fester

Post by fester »

My engine is a 1989 906 so I am still unsure. The cases look very similar from a parts catalogue I saw and there is a blanking plate of some sort on the left.

So...is it possible to fit all the later bits in and get the newer style slave etc.

Not sure by your response Antti, please clarify.
mago

Post by mago »

Hello,
if you are talking about the clutch disks... you can use anyone you want.. i think that the motor base.. it the same for all modern ducati (well monsters for sure...:-) ) with clucht line on left and discs on right.

Now i have a syntherized surflex that is good, but you have to clean it with gasoline (you have to unmount it every 5000 km).. or it start slipping on starting.

hope this help!

bye!
mago
fester

Post by fester »

thanks Mago but the motor I'm talking of has the clutch slave built into the cover. Not on the left like later bikes.

Therefore what I was proposing was can I use the slave, pushrod, clutch basket, drum and cover from teh later bikes and convert it to left hand slave not right hand in cover.

Can't find a definative answer as to why not but by some parts listings and some parts photos on Ebay the case on right hand side looks the same and there appears to be a blank of some sort on teh left that matches the shape of the slave fairly closely.

Unfortunately don't have a later motor that I can compare to properly.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

fester dear, U CAN use ALLKIND clutch plates, what are designed to Ducatis with normal 12 teeth basket!!! No matter, what Yearmodell Your bike is.... ONLY YOU HAVE TO KNOW, HOW MANY, WHATKIND plates AND WHAT IS RIGHT ORDER of those plates TO YOUR BIKE! They have used many versions after 1990....
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
ved
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by ved »

hi finnpaso,

i guess, fester want to know if it´s possibel to switch the complete clutch from the early to the newer one.

I have no answer but it´s a really good question. :confused:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

If so, then question is very intresting! I look to my 750 Paso left side and its totally different compared to my 907IE, but i CANT say anything ab. 906 left side covers, cause i dont have 906. That can be done, but Why to do it, if normal system in right side function, like should??? :confused: I think, he didnt mention anything, that normal slave in right side dont function normally :confused: So, why to try do something very strange???? To that older style "right side slave" its important to keep places around slave sylinder clean(like also "left side slave" system), so whats this??? Seems to me quite strange to try change system, what function quite well in 750 Paso and "older modell" 906.... Btw, i have never had any problems with that older system in my 750 Paso, but some with that new style in my 907IE !!! :evil:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Antti is right :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .
Do you have something not well working in your clutch system?
If it's all OK don't waste your time and money :D :D :D :D
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
wilbur
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by wilbur »

I understand what fester is asking but I don't have an answer for him.

He is not concerned about the clutch plates and their function.

He wants to use a later model clutch slave that is NOT built into the clutch cover AND mounts on the left side of the engine, similar to all newer Ducatis. Perhaps machining the left side cover for the slave cylinder then installing the rod that goes across the motor and installing a newer style clutch drum and pressure plate.

If you look at a Paso left side cover it has that round raised boss area. I think that is what fester is refering to as the location for the slave cylinder.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Surely! BUT WHY ???? :confused: If he have some problem with normal system, it can be also fixed, so why to try do something, what can go totally wrong and then its very expensive to change new left cover of engine.... I am still asking, WHY? :roll:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
foxterrier

Post by foxterrier »

Heh, Antti is right: why to fix something that works fine :cool:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Fox, Did U already make rest of that front fairing, what i made to You by fiberglass? :thumbup:

Btw Sauna is now ON and some spirit already in head, so things start to be very simple and clear very soon! :funny: :funny: :funny:

..and that Your 906 seems to be VERY naked now!!!! :laugh: is it going also to Fin Sauna with U ????
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Antti,
when you're going in your sauna and drink some spirit your smiles :funny: increases :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: .
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Surely and allways !!!! We drink here in Finland cold Koskenkorva direct from bottle in hot (about +100C) sauna... That Koskenkorva is not so bad stuff, its only 38% alcohol, clear spirit.... Or if we want to take little better one, then we choose Finlandia Vodka. I think everybody knows it, cause its world wide known pure spirit without anything shit inside bottle! :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: As U can see, i can still write quite well after plenty of Koskenkorva... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...i have trained long time.... :evil:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey