Oilcooler on 907IE

discussions specific to the 907IE
Kasman

Oilcooler on 907IE

Post by Kasman »

Does anybody know if this is done before or already discussed in the past.
I red something about the cooling problem - well I have experienced it. Not that dramatic but the temp is going to much up/down. Especialy for EFI engines.
Its best if this is kept stable at aprox. 80 degrees. Normally the thermostatic regulator should do the job but the radiator with this little nonsens fan can't handle it.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

I have never had any "cooling problems" in my water cooleed 907 and ST4S. ST have quite accurate digital temp meter and normally it shows about 74C, when driving normally in roads, but surely much hotter, when hot weather and driving in cities and then fan do its job very well, it let temp go to 105 and puts then fan on, and immediatelly it starts to lower temperature. BUT i have addeed 2 small extra fans to full covered 907 with swithc in handlebar, thati can put those fans EARLIER on, when coming to city, that helps little to keep temperatures "enough low" in those hottest cases. Temperature is very good, when driving bigger roads nomal speed caused by wind to radiator, but if hot weather and low speed cities, then temp surely want go up. Btw, i have planned bypass fan switch also to my ST. Maybe i do that this winter.... Anyway ECU controll engine temp and put normal fan on/off.

I didnt understand, what U mean by "oilcooler in 907" :confused: That bike DONT need such!

U should test Your termostat surely.... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Kasman

Oilcooler on 907IE

Post by Kasman »

This is what I mean - you tweaked you Ducati 907IE by changing the original fan for two and you did add a switch for controlling the temp.
Still the temp did fluctuate to much - you want to know why?
Because the heat transfer in the engine not only takes place by your water but also by your oil.
If you want a more standy temp and still leave the ecu in control use a oilcooler.
The water only transfers the heat of the cilinders outside the engine and the oil transfers the heat to the rest of the engine and the cil. heads.
If there is a way to put a little oilcooler on it will help - believe me.
I know italian thinking about engines - I have tuned and raced Alfa Romeo's mostly classic ones.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Re: Oilcooler on 907IE

Post by Finnpaso »

Kasman wrote:still leave the ecu in control use a oilcooler.

:confused: ECU controls Water tem/fan, not oilcooler...

I did it that way, that there is still that original fan with ECU "control" and added 2 small fans more, what i can put on, by switch in handlebar. In ST there is no space for extra fans, so that need "bypass switch" over that ECU controlled normal fan. I think, it can be made by using +12V feed via diode to fan, but havent look yet closer that ST wiring system. That original fan is MUCH more effective, than those small ones, what i added to 907.

I think, that oil cooler is not "worth to do" to 907(what can handle much easier those temperatues, than 900SS, what REALLY need oil cooler, if driven in hot climates...) But U have some problems in Your bike, if Your temperature changes lot.... I havent seen such in my 907, no matter do i use those extra fans, or no. But if U drive all time in very hot climate(i dont know), then must think this more. But i have never heard, that somebody put oil cooler to 907. I have read, that just thats why, is easy to put bigger bore to water cooleed 906/907, than to 900SS, what start to get too hot(rear sylinder!!!), when added with big bore kit. Those my extra fans dont help so much, they are light ones with low current, cause that 907 electrical system dont let put lot more current consumption to system. (especially, cause i have added doubble headlights). I put on those fans little earlier, that normal fan, if i know, that soon engine start to rise up temperature caused by city traffic, never in normal roads, cause no need... its stable in road use!

Surely this is connected also to viscosity of oil: I have used some years 15W-50 oil (Shell Advance Ultra fully synthetic), what seems to function much better, than 10W-40, what i use earlier. Those new fully synthetic oils can handle very easily those 907 temperatures and never heard, that Ducati 906/907 engines have such temperature problems... That 15W-50 is better for gearbox, Now not so bad connection noises from box, when i use this oil. Very many have changed to 15W-50 oil here in Finland in they Ducatis and we dont have so much those very hight temperature days in summertime, normally its between 20C and 32C.
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium