Questions about fuel filter & triple clamp bearings

discussions specific to the 907IE
beemerboy
year: 0

Questions about fuel filter & triple clamp bearings

Post by beemerboy »

Greetings,

I was out in the garage a few minutes ago (sipping wine and fondling my 907) and was wondering about a critical component to all fuel injected bikes especially the 907; the fuel filter.

I recall being told when I first got my bike that I should change the fuel filter once a year. Well, I'm 17 months and counting since a new one was installed but I don't like the unsettled feeling I have. I was told that if the filter gets clogged or clogged up it will drain the battery as you ride. How often do you change your filter and how difficult is the task?

Next question. Lubricating the bearings in the triple clamp. My bike has only 7800 miles thus far but it was stored in a harsh, humid climate for several years. Is this something I should investigate? I have no reason to believe there's a problem but with winter coming on it seems like a smart thing to check out between riding seasons.

Your thoughts?
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
pencilbeam
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by pencilbeam »

I may have a differnt perspective than you since my Paso has 89,000 miles. I say if it aint broke don't fix it. My bike runs like new. I have slowly replaced every easily servicable component over the last 5 years. If your bike runs great and the battery holds a charge you should be o.k. I've replaced my share of steering head bearings so I know what that feels like. If the bike only has 7,600 miles on it and the handlebars move from side to side without any flat spots or play you should also be fine. There's a lot to go wrong if you mess with it unnecessarily. I know guys that feel they need to tear their bikes apart all the time based on some fear or another...Just ride it and have fun.

Just don't wash it with a pressure washer!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Questions about fuel filter & triple clamp bearings

Post by Finnpaso »

beemerboy wrote:Greetings,

I recall being told when I first got my bike that I should change the fuel filter once a year. Well, I'm 17 months and counting since a new one was installed but I don't like the unsettled feeling I have. I was told that if the filter gets clogged or clogged up it will drain the battery as you ride. How often do you change your filter and how difficult is the task?
Glogged fuel filter is MOST COMMMON problem in all injected bikes! One fuel injection guru told that to me.... I change that filter normally every 20 000kms. I give now good advice: put normal rubber pipe(what can handle fuel) to inside tank to filter place and connect new filter to outside tank, where its very easy to change, when needeed. There is no matter, in what part of line that filter is, only to supply side and before injectors. I put mine just up from clutch cover and tight it with Panduits to frame. Function very well and no need to use anymore strong words, like "PERKELE", when chancing filter !!! :funny: :funny: :funny:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

pencilbeam wrote:I may have a differnt perspective than you since my Paso has 89,000 miles. I say if it aint broke don't fix it. My bike runs like new. I have slowly replaced every easily servicable component over the last 5 years. I've replaced my share of steering head bearings so I know what that feels like. If the bike only has 7,600 miles on it and the handlebars move from side to side without any flat spots or play you should also be fine. There's a lot to go wrong if you mess with it unnecessarily. I know guys that feel they need to tear their bikes apart all the time based on some fear or another...Just ride it and have fun.

Just don't wash it with a pressure washer!
Good stuff, Pencil. I'm encouraged to read that you're on a high mileage Paso. My bike was stored for almost four years by its previous owner and he didn't prepare it for long term storage. I've replaced many "wear & tear" items and the 907 has rewarded me with superior performance and I've gotten lots of compliments.

My father instilled in me the importance of preventive maintenance. He was a nut about working on his cars and anticipating trouble but I realize one can go over board on such things so I try not to be obssessive about it. I don't mind it if my bike's break down, I just don't want it to be out on the open road hence my question about the fuel filter.

Based on what I've read in the almost two years I've been a member of this board it would seem I'm blessed with a dependable Ducati. I want to keep it that way! :thumbup:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
beemerboy

Re: Questions about fuel filter & triple clamp bearings

Post by beemerboy »

Finnpaso wrote:I give now good advice: put normal rubber pipe(what can handle fuel) to inside tank to filter place and connect new filter to outside tank, where its very easy to change, when needeed. There is no matter, in what part of line that filter is, only to supply side and before injectors. I put mine just up from clutch cover and tight it with Panduits to frame. Function very well and no need to use anymore strong words, like "PERKELE", when chancing filter !!! :funny: :funny: :funny:
Hi Finn,

I own BMW's and lots of owners have done the same thing you have. Any chance of you taking a few photos and doing a brief tech write up on how you moved your fuel filter outside the fuel tank??
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Sorry, but i dont have time to take fotos, no matter i have digicamera, but its very easy job. Do, as i told and "viola" filter is there in just right place! That mod dont need any fotos, cause its very simple job. Hardest is to put hands to inside tank and take old parts away.... Surely have to take all that fuel meter sender, etc flange away first, also hole fuel filling system, is it "petcoc", or something.... There are some plastic small pletes down under pump, what U have to push inside to take pump away. Its good, to check same time that pump filter, if there is shit! Btw, use some rubber gloves, cause without them, your fingers start to flood blood. I hope, You have very small hands.. that help alot! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium