907 starter motor

discussions specific to the 907IE
Daryl

907 starter motor

Post by Daryl »

Ive recently discovered that my starter motor is not working on my 907. I have voltage at the starter motor when the start button is pressed. I'm wondering how hard is it to remove the starter motor. I have a workshop manual and believe you may have to take off the left hand side, side cover. What is involved, do I have to drain oil etc. first and any things to be aware of. Does everything on the side cover need to be removed or can some of these be left and just fold back the cover.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

You will need to drain the oil and cooling system. YEs the cover need to be removed so that you can get the bolts for the starter out. Remember to look behind the clutch slave for that elusive bolt.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Starter have 3 connection screws and one of them can reach ONLY by taking left cover off. Some have done that with oils on by turning bike to right side, but ill go for taking oils also away... Be carefull, when pull that cover, it can be "glued" to case. If so, then use soft hammer with carefull hands around cover. When rebuild, then use only some silicone gasket material(Ducati dealer have one quite cheaply), no need to use anymore those awfull paper gaskets, but check also Pick-up clearances, when rebuild, especially, if U have changed gasket material... :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

If you search in topics, some of us posted about checking and changing brushers without removing starter... quite an easyer work to do! :thumbup:
My suggestion about this, is to mark the ecxat position of anything you take away, in order to reinstall easily!
I think it'll be almost the same job I've done in my 750, so that's the work:
You''ll need to work on your knees or stretched down your bike, so get a clean and clear floor ready! :cool:
remove the oil pipes close to the bottom of the starter;
unscrew the nipple of the red wire from the starter relay:
unscrew both the screws in the bottom cover (be careful!
they hold the entire starter packed!);
remove the cover (pay attention to the washers you can find under this!);
pull away the brushes plate (slow! one of the brushes is hanged to the starter steel body!)
If the brushers are finished you can change them with an original spare part, still the same of newer ducatis, or a nippodenso spare part (but I never happened to meet a ND dealer in Italy!);
Keep on:
pull this brush away from the plate;
pull carefully the steel body away it might be "glued" to the alloy top, but a smooth knocking will help you;
unscrew the brush from the body and take a great care not to damage all the plastic washers inside;
The rotor and the alloy top remain installed on the engine.
Reassemble everything with the new brushes and take good care not to spin springs uncorrectly! they must go right inside the brush site, an incorrect positioning might send the springs touching against the brus site itself and make the starter unworking soon :thumbdown:
Make a clockmaker job in putting the plate in the ecxact position without damaging anything (someone happen to BLAST in this moment.... if you need, do it with a very LOW voice... :mad: );
reinstall the body and the plate in the starter;
complete the job reinstalling everything.
Before connecting tho the red wire, try handling a flying wire... some small sparks are a smaller risk than a blown electrical plant!
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

I think, Daryl was talking/asking only "how to take starter away", nothing else...
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Finnpaso wrote:I think, Daryl was talking/asking only "how to take starter away", nothing else...
It's so, but if he can fix the starter without taking apart it...
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Timbo

Starter

Post by Timbo »

Daryl
I replaced the bushes in my starter, cost about £38.00 a right pain to get at it and take it out.The way to do it is as described in previous posts.
Ducatis dont you just luv em !!!!!
Cheers
Timbo
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Daryl "dear", cau You give us MORE details, what is YOUR real problem???? :confused: I mean, that is there any need to take starter away, or no???? If problem is only brushes, then You can change them without taking starter away, but..... Seems, that You find already problem from inside of Your starter and thats why U asked, how to take it away??? :confused:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. Because of Xmas I haven't had a chance to look at the bike yet. (Happy Xmas to all). Some more info is that when I go to start the bike I get a click sound only, which is the starter solenoid coming in, just replaced about 2 months ago as well as regulator. I have 14V at starter motor so therefore assume starter motor is faulty. No noise at starter motor at all. At this stage not sure if it is the brushes, have no theories. The bike was able to be push started to get it home. From the sound of responses I maybe able to pull starter apart without removing from bike. Just trying to work out what would be the best option try to pull apart without removing or remove from bike. :confused:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Before You do anything MORE, CHECK Your battery condition in battery shop(they load it and see, is it already piece of shit)!!!

Batteries are such, that when they went to end of they life, they give easily still VOLTAGE to Your multimeter, BUT NO CURRENT ANYMORE(POWER). If battery is out of charge, it can have still Voltage, but not current. U dont know battery condition measuring Voltage. It MUST have LOADED and then You can see, stay that Voltage, or no....

AND check ALL CONNECTORS in that starter circuit....

DONT OPEN LEFT SIDE COVER YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Thanks Antti, I've measured the voltage while starting and that is about 14V. Ive also checked all conections, tonight I'll parallel up a car battery and give it a go to check and see if it is the battery.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Daryl wrote:Thanks Antti, I've measured the voltage while starting and that is about 14V. Ive also checked all conections, tonight I'll parallel up a car battery and give it a go to check and see if it is the battery.
Take care jumping the bike with the car, because you could burn the regulator.

So, even if it would be better put a good battery on the bike, if you want try, anyway let the car's engine switched off.

Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

There is not ANY problems to connect another(like from car)battery parallel with mc battery, IF You are SURE about + and - poles and U use enough big starting cables between batteries. But be carefull, if Your mc battery is in its box, cause its easy to shortcut starting cable + wire close mc battery to frame. Be sure, that starting cables are very well connected, before U try to start mc with start button. When bike starts, wait little, that enigine runs smooth and then You can dissconnect starting cables and car battery. If regulator is ok, then it can handle easily that time both batteries. I have done that way very many times Paso starting, when battery have been out of bike longer time and NEVER ANY problems. I keep car battery in its place all car wire connected, but engine off. I only put those starting cables between batteries and start mc, then disconnect wires and "viola", its done again... :thumbup:

Doublecheck Your POLES, when connecting cables !!!!!!! (or "big shit happens") :funny:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

Doublecheck Your POLES, when connecting cables !!!!!!! (or "big shit happens")
:D yes! big sparkling shit :funny: :funny: :funny:
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Well, I've finally had a chance to connect a car battery (after building kids cubby house for xmas) with the same result, only clicking at the starter solenoid. So I believe my next best option will be to try and dismantle starter motor from rear of starter while starter is still connected to the bike. Will inform of outcome. :confused: