Battery question

discussions specific to the 907IE
Kurt
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Battery question

Post by Kurt »

OK, next question on my new 907.

This bike is very clean, with a couple of notable exceptions. One has to do with the battery that came in it (but I am replacing with an Odyssey PC535 after reading this forum). Anyway, the battery had corrosion on the negative terminal, and when I took it out to charge it, noticed that it had a pretty short breather tube (tube on same side as neg terminal). Once I had the bike on the lift, I found that the breather had been breathing heavily on the lower part of the shock which was covered in battery goo, not a pretty sight. The plastic adjusting knob at the bottom of the shock is 40% corroded away and won't rotate. Oh, well, *sigh of resignation* I should go for a different shock anyway.

So my question is, does this sound like there are any implications for the charging system? I'm going to find and clean all the grounds as advised in another thread, and will check the charge rates once I get it going.

Thanks again, that's it for now, more later, no doubt! HaHa
- Kurt
andrew_b
year: 1993

Re: Battery question

Post by andrew_b »

Ouch, too bad about the shock! :shock:

It's probably not the (on board) charging system that is at fault - if anything the 350W alternator is under-rated and tends to undercharge. More likely is that because of the undercharging, like most of us, the previous owner left the bike on a trickle-charger and perhaps it wasn't well suited to the battery. The other thing is that when you get home from a ride it doesn't hurt to pull the seat off to let the heat from the donk dissipate - it gets pretty cosy under all that plastic without any air movement. Personally I would definitely lengthen the tube also!
:thumbup:
Cheers
Andrew
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for the tips! Now that I recall, somewhere along the line, the previous owner mentioned using a battery tender of some kind. Judging by the amount of glop on the shock -- and a closer look today revealed that the spring has been notched, by battery acid no doubt -- I'd say he kept the battery on a low simmer, and maybe the owner before that, too. :mad:

So the "old" battery is now a shop battery, and I am installing the Odyssey sealed battery -- no tube at all. Got the Odyssey from Battery Mart in Virginia, less that 48 hours after ordering on line, standard ground shipping, good service.

Just installed the new air filter element and NGK plugs as recommended, put tank back on. Next, oil & filter change, ride a bit, decide what to do about the shock. More news as it happens ...
- Kurt
Laddie907
year: 1991

Post by Laddie907 »

bummer about the shockie.

suggest you read the blurb from the manufacturer:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/odyssey101.htm#cca
you must avoid trickle chargers with this style of battery - they need a 6 Amp charge (minimum).

I'd also query the manufacturer about how "hot" it is necessary to protect from before the metal jacket is required. It gets hot in there next to the rear header...

it will be interesting to see how the trickle discharge to the clock is handled by the battery.
I find with a standard lead-acid battery it drops from 12.7V to (say) 11.6V in a few weeks.
My guess is the Odyssey will handle it better...
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Many thanks, Laddie907.

Charging info noted!

I phoned the distributor Batterymart, spoke to Stan in customer service, who told me that the PC535 does not come in full metal jacket, and he noted the operating temp up to 140F/60C.

Looks like there's and inch or more of space between the top of the battery and the bottom of the Corbin seat, allowing for some airflow.

How about ventilating the battery box, like boring holes in the sides and rear to help hot air escape? Anybody done that?

Any suggestions welcome
- Kurt
Shelboss
year: 1991

Post by Shelboss »

I have posted about charging in the past, I use a float charger on all my batteries unless they are severly drained. The float charger is 1.5 amps, but turns off when the battery is fully charged and turnes back on when the clock drains it below a certain level again. I also had an overcharging problem that would cause acid to spill. An AGM battery does not have this problem, it has no spill tube and no fillers. You may want to check your charging voltage at highway speeds, I think over 14 volts is too high. May want to think about another type voltage regulator if that is the case.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Shelboss wrote:I have posted about charging in the past, I use a float charger on all my batteries unless they are severly drained. The float charger is 1.5 amps, but turns off when the battery is fully charged and turnes back on when the clock drains it below a certain level again. I also had an overcharging problem that would cause acid to spill. An AGM battery does not have this problem, it has no spill tube and no fillers. You may want to check your charging voltage at highway speeds, I think over 14 volts is too high. May want to think about another type voltage regulator if that is the case.
More info -- great -- thanks.

The 907 I bought was advertised as "voltage regulator updated with late model unit" -- is that good? Now that I have a sealed battery, that takes care of spill. I checked the charging voltage, at idle = 12.5v, and at 3000rpm = 13.6v. I'm thinking of fitting one of the LCD voltmeters that DesmoTimes sells, just to keep an eye on it. I have disconnected the clock. I'd rather lose track of time when riding! ;)
- Kurt
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Your voltages seems to be ok. Its very good idea to hook somekind GOOD voltmeter to Ducati and see, what will be voltages in higher rpm also, what is not so simple to check in home... :thumbup: I am looking some similar voltmeter to my bike(ST2) from EU markets. If someone know, let me know..... :thumbup: Forget to say, that here are another topics about charching voltages/problems in these sites... :smoke:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium