Regulator replacement

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
meireles
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Regulator replacement

Post by meireles »

Hi there

My 906 has some regulator problems (it is damaged)
Somehow when I turned on something electrical with motor running it would stall (just for a moment, and then work again normally)
Thinking it was due to some faulty wiring I replaced the cables leading to the battery that were rusty under the plastic hose.
Having charged the battery, in the first try-out after the cable replacement the bike just died a couple of hours after a short ride...
Since the bike died far from my home it's in a garage and they have tried the Honda regulators (CB250/400N) and say they don't work.
I've asked around and found a shop that has some regulators but they asked me if the one fitted has two or three steps (fases?) and warning light.
If you had this problem with what did you replace the original regulator?
Thanks,
Meireles
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: Regulator replacement

Post by jcslocum »

You have a 2 phase alternator (2 yellow wires) so the regulator should be a 2 wire also. You can use a 3 phase regulator in an emergency by only using 2 of the wires.

You must clean and have them solder the wiring to the new regulator. Do not use plud/push together connectors. Inspect the wiring from the alternator for melting and burned wire insulation.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Meireles,
you can also purchase on-line the Electrex RR-51, probably the best one for our bikes.
www.electrexworld.co.uk
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

I replaced the rectifier when my Energis unit went pop. I used one from a Kawasaki ZX600, no warning light but Kawasaki electrics are amongst the best. My 906 has a three phase generator (three wires from the engine) and the power output something like 350W is about the same as the Kawasaki unit. Never had trouble again.
jomo

Post by jomo »

I have just gone to a 2 wire setup when my alternator died for the third time. So that was an alternator rewind and a new regulator. This is getting very expensive after 3 alternator failures and 2 regulator failures. Now the upgrade (I hope). Don't com to me for advice for another year or two. I'm sick of it!
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250