Tail light not lighting up.

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jomalley
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Tail light not lighting up.

Post by jomalley »

I just got an 88 Paso 750 back from the guy I sold it to 10 years ago, and it's great to have her back.

I noticed today that activating the front brake does not light up the brake light, and the tail light is not on as the running/license plate light.
The rear brake lights up the brake light just fine.

My question: Does the microswitch on the front brakes also control the power to the tail light to act as your rear running light, or am I looking for something else?

Joe
Last edited by jomalley on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew_b
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Re: Tail light not lighting up. Question on microswitch.

Post by andrew_b »

I think they are separate systems...certainly are on on mine...don't think yours would be different.
Have you done the relay mods? Helps not to have all that current running the full length of the bike and through the microswitch.

I can help you out with a new microswitch if it's a Cherry DC1 - I bought a few the last time mine went out.

Cheers
Andrew
jomalley

Post by jomalley »

OK, I think I've traced the problem to the connector on the right side of the bike, just aft of the regulator/rectifier:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joseph.omal ... 7548395698

By reseating the plug, I can get both the running lights and the brake lights. And then they go out again. There's a pair of what looks like vampire taps on the green and black/white wire. I suspect that they are the source of the problem. They are 3m brand and I doubt they're original. Can anyone confirm that?

Given how close they are to the connector, I'm probably going to have to cut the whole thing off and replace it with a new molex connector.

Joe
desmodave
year: 0

Post by desmodave »

there are two switches one between the front brake hose connection(mine went too lights up the rear brake light) the other on the rear breke cylinder. hope this helps you just have to replace them not too expensive.
jomalley

Post by jomalley »

Those vampire taps were the source of the problem. They had pretty much severed the power and ground wires. I used a pair of butt connectors to bridge the gaps, and it seems to be fine now.

I'll splice in with some wire and sauder in a few days, when I can borrow a saudering iron from my brother.

Joe