Dunlop D250 180/60R 16 fitted

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Dunlop D250 180/60R 16 fitted

Post by paso750 »

Higgy, you and rhino should swap nicknames.
I don`t get what this is about anymore. I`m no engineer but appearently one has to be one to ignore what other engineers (ie from a tire manufacturer) state. Interesting point - don`t get it.
As one of the moderators of this prospective suppressed and communist Paso enthusiast community I`d suggest we draw the line where it starts to get personal and get back to the topic.
All helpful information, comments or questions are more than welcome. Who just wants to show off their superior attitude should post that part on Facebook or the NRA forum.

Happy Kwanzaa

G.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

higgy wrote:

Antti,hope this works :cool: Monet onnea uudenvuoden kaikista
Higgy, what the hell (internet????) translation machine You use, as i REALLY dont know at all, what such can mean?????

But something like this can be better: "Rauhallista joulua ja onnekasta uutta vuotta kaikille Ducatipaso.org:in lukijoille" :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Higgy, you and rhino should swap nicknames
ImageTaurian,to the core :thumbup:
Who just wants to show off their superior attitude should post that part on Facebook or the NRA forum.
or give Rush a phone in :thumbup:

Understood................comrade
ROTFLMAO Bad Higgy baaaaaaad

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

Double pull for me
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ukizook
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by ukizook »

I don't want to get my head bit of being a noobie and all that, but you CAN shave a bit of the tyre edge without compromising the safety. OK there is a limit as to how far but upto 5 mill is fine.
I used to race in the old TZ 250 and lc 350 proddie races both on track and road, when modern (and stickier) tyres came out everyone in the paddock put these overwide tyres on and had to shave off the shoulders to make them fit. The tyres had a harder life than any road bike would give them and not one ever failed.
Only my opinion and if your not sure then just don't do it. :)
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

[quote="907pasonut Baaaa Baaaa!!![/quote]
Oy ! Leave me out of this :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

Mc tool wrote:[quote="907pasonut Baaaa Baaaa!!!
Oy ! Leave me out of this :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Christmas cheers to our neighbours across the ditch :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

ukizook, noone`s gonna rip your head off :) As 5mm sounds like a lot to me which tires were these and how did you/they do it ?

G.
ukizook

Post by ukizook »

G, All the tyres you buy today usually have about 6mill tread depth when new, the rubber extends beyond the thinner sidewalls. We just had a pad on an angle grinder and was very gentle with the pressure (or the clever ones borrowed someones tread cutters and hot knife
I doubt any Paso rider would ride to the edges of a 180/60 profile tyre "not through any lack of ability of rider or bike" ;) but I see many 180 tyres with over 5 mill wear on the very edge of them after a vigorous trackday. I know it's not quite as simple as this but imagine you had a brand new tyre and managed to (evenly )wear 5 mill of the entire tread. Apart from now having a nearly bald tyre everything else would still be fine.
Again this may not be the optimum fix and I for one chose C Boys fix with an old turned down sprocket as a spacer.
The only drawback of a 180 tyre that I see is the limited chain adjustment. :thumbup:
Mycle

Post by Mycle »

Hello Paso problem solving brothers and sisters!

I have been a lurker here, taking tips and learning; and many (9) years ago I bought the Haynes Weber manual, which I studied into some effective understanding, thus avoiding a Mikuni conversion. I also successfully did Bauke's electrical system relay mod. :thumbup: I downloaded (Gerhard's?) shop manual, and performed various other important mods made good by your collective benevolence and suggestions (rear shock recharge, front fork reseal, brake pad/disk renewal, fairing nut bushings, tips on repairing cracks to fiberglass, airbox mods, carb emulsion and ventri tube swaps, clutch throw-out bearing lube, etc.).

My lovely Paso (blue; can I post a pic?) has been in the barn for a few years as I have been recovering from a back surgery. Lately I have too many commitments/hobbies, so the 906 has been inactive. But, as rust never sleeps, I have been worried over tire replacement issues. I just found this thread.

Most reasonable people in my life advise me that I must sell my Paso. I love this bike and I won't sell it. I have been doing a cost/benefit analysis, and I do not want to "externalize" the costs. So, what should I do?

I must say, IMHO, that the Wild Colonial Boy has the most measured approach to these rear tire issues. Machining and spacing ( and maybe a longer chain/extra teeth on the back cog) looks like a great and responsible way to go. I can do this in my shop. But...

I also like the idea (props to xchopper and ukizook!) of gently sanding off some of the outermost chainside lip of my (future) tire. I would do this while carefully measuring the thickness of the sanded area with an elliptical caliper, like those used by bowl makers on wood lathes. I am not a back-tire rider who must scrape a peg every now and then (even while I wish I was that rider!). I am a commuter/tourer. If I need to scrape a peg, I'll borrow my younger brother's CB750. I would never be able to wear off a proportionately even elliptical 5mm from a rear Paso 906 tire, so I am going to take this belt sander path to the 906 rear tire problem solution.

I also agree with the idea (I apologize for having forgotten the names of the ducatipaso.org writers who championed this idea) that all tire combinations will offer something unique. The best approach is to carefully discover and learn the limits of those combinations, and live with the results or move on to some new tire combinations. I do this, while I reflect on my budget limitations and ethical/safety commitments. I am a mostly center line rider. That is to say that I believe that I keep the rear tire on its center line 75% of the time.

FWIW, I am not an apolitical person. I believe that language barriers and electronic media/cultural differences and expectations will always condemn me to misunderstand my friends who exist in other language groups and national/ethnic identities; so I always seek more dialog in those inevitable moments of misunderstanding. BTW, I love my country and I vote my conscience. I also have a deep respect for dissent and reasoned debate. Democracy is an agonistic process: sort of like Paso ownership.
My good fortune: in my home state of Maryland, USA, my 1990 Paso 906 qualifies as an antique bike. And, as such, it is exempt from detailed inspections of tires. So, here I am. Thanks for your time!

Yours in Paso,

Michael
ukizook wrote:G, All the tyres you buy today usually have about 6mill tread depth when new, the rubber extends beyond the thinner sidewalls. We just had a pad on an angle grinder and was very gentle with the pressure (or the clever ones borrowed someones tread cutters and hot knife
I doubt any Paso rider would ride to the edges of a 180/60 profile tyre "not through any lack of ability of rider or bike" ;) but I see many 180 tyres with over 5 mill wear on the very edge of them after a vigorous trackday. I know it's not quite as simple as this but imagine you had a brand new tyre and managed to (evenly )wear 5 mill of the entire tread. Apart from now having a nearly bald tyre everything else would still be fine.
Again this may not be the optimum fix and I for one chose C Boys fix with an old turned down sprocket as a spacer.
The only drawback of a 180 tyre that I see is the limited chain adjustment. :thumbup:
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Welcome Michael,
I am 100% on your line.
I also ride more than 75% on the center line :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and I also do think we need to undertake us to avoid any misunderstanding among the people.
About the topic, when I used to have a wonderful blue 906, my mechanic always suggested the 150/80 rear tire.
I think the 180 tire is too wide, needs too much mods to be fitted and, finally, does'nt look so good on the Paso. Just my 2c opinion ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) .
I hope to read you here again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: .
Ciao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Hello Paso problem solving brothers and sisters!

I have been a lurker here, taking tips and learning;
Welcome Micheal,well said.
If you are going the grinding route, do your self a favor and get the proper tools, Most race shops can get the proper grinding disc for an affordable price. Grinding a tire is a common practice in racing circles. Not every enthusiast has the wherewithall to have a new set of tires for every other pit stop. Race compounds harden very quickly from the outside in so it is very common to grind off the hardened rubber to get to the soft rubber making your tires like new,well sort of anyway.It takes a little practice,the important thing to remember when grinding a tire is if there's smoke you just ruined your tire. On the street,like DUI,if you do it you are guilty :banghead:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

welcome Michael...we would love to see a pic of your bike, although the people around you are telling you to sell the bike...I think...respect it, but...dont sell it, so good choice there! :thumbup:
good luck with your back op recovery :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
hardo
year: 0

Post by hardo »

@Mycle

in addition i still like to mention the step I have taken regarding the Paso tire problem. I am
indeed very happy with this solution. It is a quick fix and it is a matching modern zr-rated pair:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4463

Maybe this is helpful for your decision.

All the best, hardo

P.S.: My Paso 906 also has this strange blue colour => is it same as yours?
Colonial Boy
year: 1989

Post by Colonial Boy »

I have been watching the topic and those advocating either grinding/cutting the side off the tyre, or fitting a 150-80-16 instead.

I am obviously opposed to modying the tyre from a purist's point of view. It just seems a bodge and would annoy me every time I looked at it. Also there is no need to resort to it.

I offset the front sprocket by 10mm as it was easy to just turn it over and I had no real data as a starting point. It did create some complications with rear sprocket cap-screw head clearance to the swing-arm. When all assembled I found I had 8mm chain/tyre clearance (I believe the original was 10mm). This could be cut back to 3mm by not turning the front sprocket over and machining 5mm off the outside. Rear sprocket would still need a (narrower) spacer in the way I did it but there would be no cap screw issues. All other spacers for chain guard etc. would be reduced by 5mm ofcourse. Kick stand clearance would be easier to achieve.

I make the above suggestions to illustrate that the info I supplied can be used to offset your chain however much you choose - to a maximum of 10mm.

As to the 150-80, I have asked on that thread how the bike handles two-up.

And lastly to my friends in Tuscany, my travel plans this time prevent me accepting the offer of a ride :( - and race around the Piazza at Sienna. ;)
However, we will be visiting Bologna and on to Venice so I will have some pictures of boats to post here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, CB :thumbup:
Ducati 906 Paso
Kawasaki GPZ900R
Triumph Sprint 955
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Unfortunately, I have been moved from Tuscany and by now I'm on the northern Lazio, 100 kms. away from Roma.
However, I'd be very happy to come back to Tuscany and, above all, to Siena because it's a long time I don't see her.
Ciao :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019