motor bike

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
wendiya

motor bike

Post by wendiya »

ive just done my cbt and found cornering really difficult it was fine at low speed in the compound but on the road the bike did not go where i wanted it to at one point i ended up on the wrong side of the road with the examiner screaming through the earpeice turn the handlebars which i was doing,anyway i did pass but its left me a bit shook up any advice???
Last edited by wendiya on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: motor bike

Post by higgy »

One thing most folks don't realize when on 2 wheels. Once you are going a little more than 5mph(8kph) To turn to the left you turn the bars to the right. To turn to the right you move the bars to the left. Has to do with the shape of the tires and a thing called slip angle. It is why when learning to ride 2 wheels every one falls until your brain unconciously makes the connection. Once your brain makes the connection you become hard wired to deal with this seemingly odd contradiction. It is also the root behind the expression "like riding a bike" once you learn it you never forget altho you may not conciously realize it. :wacko:
It is also unfortunately the reason why many cyclist when dealing with a sudden obstical turn into the object with tragic results.
For anyone with doubts, it is very important to your survival in the two wheeled world to prove this to your concious mind. It very well could save your life someday
In a safe location!!! if you have access to a bicycle ride it at about 10MPH(16KPH) take your hands off the bars.With one finger push the end of the left handle bar and see for yourself what happens. Like I said it could one day save your life :thumbup:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

There is a very good article in an old two wheels mag called " A question of balance " which I will try to find , but I have hundreds of mags and having shifted house several times since I last saw it , it might take a while . It goes into the physics of turning a motorcycle , with some simple experiments to illistrate points. Not to sure of the best way to get the info to you , obviously I cant post the thing , but if anyone wants it ( supposing I can find it ) I would be happy to e-mail the file ?.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

wendiya wrote:ive just done my cbt and found cornering really difficult it was fine at low speed in the compound but on the road the bike did not go where i wanted it to at one point i ended up on the wrong side of the road with the examiner screaming through the earpeice turn the handlebars which i was doing,anyway i did pass but its left me a bit shook up any advice???
The 906 isn't a good first bike! You should start out with a smaller engined moto that has standard bars and not the low clip on's of the 906. A 500cc Kawasaki or Suzuki would be perfect.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Good point Jon ! :thumbup:
Very difficult to handle at even low speed, and can be a very unforgiving bike for the novice rider. Even a 500 with normal tires and handle bars can be too much for first time riders as 500's these days are very powerful :shock: :shock:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Mickeytool
Back around 1979 Gordon Jennings worked for Cycle mag and wrote many detailed engineering articles about motorcycles. I believe he still works for Car and Driver,at least that is the last I heard. I drive a truck now to keep me outta trouble so I am behind the times :twisted:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie