Dellorto throttle cable help

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

ahdoman
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Dellorto throttle cable help

Post by ahdoman »

Hey all. I took the Paso out yesterday for about a 75 mile run through the canyons. I forgot how much fun that bike is when it's running soooo good. However, I have the Dellortos and I also forgot how "heavy" the throttle is. After about 35 miles my wrist was starting to hurt and my hand got tired. I have lubed all the cables and the cable run at the throttle housing but it's still really heavy. Any ideas on how to lighten that up? Can you get lighter springs for the Dellortos? Maybe an aftermarket throttle that uses a different pulley system? Any ideas would be much appreciative.
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Step 1: http://tinyurl.com/9lhbu

Step 2: Cut the spring down by 1". Spring engineering is very complicated and (trust me on this) cutting the spring shorter actually makes it more firm/stronger. The trade off is that the slightly shorter length provides less preload which is more of a benefit.

Did I mention the throttle rocker? ;-)
ahdoman

Post by ahdoman »

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking the same but I wasn't sure. I already have the "throttle rocker" and it keeps coming loose or slipping. I already had plans to try and re-engineer it. If I cut the spring does it make it any lighter or does it just change the progression of the throttle on?
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Hey Jon, you have a Malossi throttle on your bike, eh? My bike came with a Malossi fitted, so I don't know how it compares to the standard Paso throttle, and I therefor have not recommended it to ahdoman, but what do you think?

Also, ahdoman, you could make the throttle easier to turn by wrapping some heavy foam rubber sheet, with double-sided tape, around it, thereby increasing it's diameter. My Malossi grip is much bigger and softer than other grips I've come across, and I like it.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

ahdoman wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking the same but I wasn't sure. I already have the "throttle rocker" and it keeps coming loose or slipping. I already had plans to try and re-engineer it. If I cut the spring does it make it any lighter or does it just change the progression of the throttle on?
My rocker works great. Maybe the new one they have with the velcro would work better.

Cutting the spring makes it heavier/stronger. Think of the wire of the spring as a lever. The longer the wire, the higher the leverage. So, when you cut it you lose leverage. BUT it's not really quite that simple.
ahdoman

Post by ahdoman »

For future info... I found a place that sells lighter springs for the Dellortos; http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com. They have a huge selection of parts and seem to really know their stuff. They can also be contacted at; 770-974-8851.
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S