with new carb, what else do I need?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jprhyme

with new carb, what else do I need?

Post by jprhyme »

If I decide to buy these for my paso, http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/p ... 231072.asp

what else do i need to finish the conversion? A new intake manifold, or will stock do? new throttle cable or cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

Hi

I am converting my Paso at the moment, i am using
2 x 600 Monster Carbs rejetted to 750SS spec
2 x 600 Monster Inlet Manifolds
2 x rubber carb mounts connects carbs to manifolds
Ordered but not fitted yet will be a Monster throttle cable
Ordered but not fitted yet will be a Monster choke cable
Some sort of air filter, there is a link that shows how to convert the Paso air filter box to mate with the Monster carbs but I have found that with my bike there is not much space between the rear carb float bowl and frame some guys have made boxs by moulding a whole box i will at the moment use a pair of K&N's Part number RU0-0800

Its a straight forward conversion once you get over the cost! it all unbolts and the 600 Inlets will go straight on with new gaskets. The carbs will be in a differant position regarding the Webber thats why air filtration means bolt on K&N or make your own. Mine would have been done by know but my local Ducati dealer let me down on the cables so had to reorder somewhere else minedyou I have had it running by operating the throttle by hand.

Just had another look at that link, how are you going to couple the pair together? If not coupled you will need a split throttle cable, that is one reason I went for Monster carbs to get the interconnecting linkage. If you go for used Monster carbs be carefull with the pilot jet screws, with the angle dirt and c*** gets in there and can seize them If you go this route then also try and get the rubber hose work off the donor bike, they have a couple of breather hoses from the top of each carb which have one way air valves.

Good luck.
jprhyme

Post by jprhyme »

motiztab, what year is the monster you got your carbs and manifold from? Can you tell me the years of the monster with this carb setup, and can you buy these easier from a website, or from a donor?
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

jprhyme

Sorry been away for a few days.

Again sorry I do not know at the moment what year the carbs are, but have emailed the guy I got them from.
Just have to try the bike scrap yards and ebay.
I found mine via ebay, the guy was selling other Duke bits so rang him. Where are you, if Uk can give you his address in Nottingham, he may have other bits.
jprhyme

Post by jprhyme »

Unfortunately, I am a little out of the Ducati Loop- i.e Europe; but I would still be interested in talking with him if he has any other carbs
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

just check ebay or any other parts ressource. The Mikuni BDST 38 carbs are the same on all Supersport and Monster, independent of year. Just the jettings vary. If you can get hold of a carb which came from a with Mikuni carbs originally equipped Duc you can`t go wrong. There is only one.

Gerhard
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

jprhyme

paso750 is right they are all the same. Mine came from a i think a 2001 bike but had been kept bagged and tagged so look new.

I have emailed the guy I got them from to see if he will talk direct to you but he has just gone way on holiday for two weeks.
speedtrifle

Post by speedtrifle »

The 600 Monster manifolds will line up correctly if the cylinder height of the 600 is the same as the Paso. I think this may be the case as I have read that there are ony 3 different cylinder heights amongst the various Pantah derived engines.

I have just converted our 750 Paso to Mikunis taken from a 900SS-FE from the 'States fitted to 750 Monster manifolds.

Using 750 manifolds means that the carbs line up correctly so you can use a proper airbox. (CV carbs don't really work properly without a plenum chamber). I cut the bottom out of the monster airbox and grafted it into the upper half of the Paso air box using some carbon fibre matting blagged from one of my works suppliers. This was a real b!!!!!! of a job but it did mean that I could use a standard air filter and also meant that I could use the Monster inlet trumpets.

The 750 Monster manifolds were only 27mm diameter at the cylinder head end so I had to open them up to the 32mm port size on our heads (Is this the standard size? - it looks like there has been some port work done on it.)

The bike now idles well and is much easier to ride in town but is down on power at larger throttle openings.

Does anyone have any suggested jetting?

Regards,

Steve.