Webers manufactured in different countries?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Webers manufactured in different countries?

Post by Tamburinifan »

Maybe just a couriousity:

Just spoke to my workmate who ha a Alfa Romeo fr the 70`s.
Rumours among his friends is that there were 2port Webers made in both Italy & Spain
during the 70-80`s.
The Spain ones has a reputation to of being less quality, true or false?
Are there any Spanish Webers on Paso 750/906?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: Webers manufactured in different countries?

Post by higgy »

Weber is an Italian company producing carburetors, currently owned by Magneti Marelli Powertrain S.p.A., in turn part of the Fiat Group.

The company was established as Fabbrica Italiana Carburatori Weber in 1923 when Edoardo Weber (1889–1945) produced carburetors as part of a conversion kit for Fiats. Weber pioneered the use of two-stage twin barrel carburetors, with two venturis of different sizes, the smaller one for low speed running and the larger one optimised for high speed use.

In the 1930s Weber began producing twin-barrel carburetors for motor racing where two barrels of the same size were used. These were arranged so that each cylinder of the engine has its own carburetor barrel. These carburetors found use in Maserati and Alfa Romeo racing cars. Twin updraught Webers fed superchargers on the 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C competition vehicles.[1]

After Webers death in 1945, Fiat finally assumed control of the company in 1952. In time, Weber carburetors were fitted to standard production cars and factory racing applications on automotive marques such as Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, BMW, Ferrari, Fiat, Ford, Lamborghini, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Renault, Triumph and Volkswagen.

Genuine Weber carburetors were produced in Bologna, Italy up until around 1990 when production was transferred to Madrid, Spain, where they continue to be produced today.

Weber Carburetors are sold for both street and off-road use, with the twin choke sidedraught DCOE being the most common one. They are sold in what is referred to as a Weber Conversion kit. A Weber conversion kit is a complete package of Weber Carburetor, intake manifold or manifold adapter, throttle linkage, air filter and all of the necessary hardware needed to install the Weber on a vehicle.

In modern times, fuel injection has replaced carburetors in both production cars and most modern motor racing, although Weber carburetors are still used extensively in classic and historic racing. They are also supplied as high quality replacements for problematic OEM carburetors. Weber fuel system components are distributed by Magneti Marelli, Webcon UK Ltd, and, in North America, by several organizations, including Interco Products Corporation, Worldpac, marketing under the Redline name. Other suppliers include Overseas Distributing and Pierce Manifolds.
The Spain ones has a reputation to of being less quality, true or false?
Are there any Spanish Webers on Paso 750/906?

The answer is both true and false. Consolidation has been the main emphasis since production was moved to Spain
And yes there are Spanish Webers on most Paso's. In the early days the Spanish division produced mainly replacement parts.
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Genuine Weber carburetors were produced in Bologna, Italy up until around 1990 when production was transferred to Madrid, Spain, where they continue to be produced today.
No Spanish Webers on 1970-80 Alfa`s, right, just a wifes tale?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Can't answer that one Gert. The auto union struggles in Italy from the late 50's to early 70's caused many issues. While Alfa worked with the unions to find a settlement, Fiat the owner of Weber since 1952 decided union busting was the way to go. Fiat was moving production more and more away from Italy in an effort to destroy the unions influence. Did Alfa manage to get all the Webers from Italy? Certainly not after 1990. I know of no way to establish a Weber's country of origin reliably. If it looks like a Weber but says Del Orto and smells like fuel leaking it was made in Italy or India :thumbup:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix
year: 1990

Post by angelix »

If it is made by Weber, it has the Country of origin stamped on it, NO doubts about that.

It is easy to spot, the manufacturing Country is stamped on the cover.

all Pasos 750-906 were manufactured PRIOR 1990 therefore I believe any webers fitted to be made in Italy and from what i remember (I might be wrong...) that particular carburator was not manufactured in Spain

There is one thing I was told long time ago, in the car Vintage club circuit (my dad is president of a major club, and I have been quite involved), it appears that there are FAKES, COUNTERFITS.

It is unlikely they ended on Pasos, they were copies made to go on more important cars.

Here there is a very interesting Webpage on the subject, it needs verification, nevertheless it is worth reading.

http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

If it is made by Weber, it has the Country of origin stamped on it, NO doubts about that.
Angelix, I worked for Fiat in the early 70's,granted in was the US division. Even back then there was no RELIABLE way to tell the country of origin of any Weber.
If you have a DCNF with a country of origin stamped on it,I'd like to see a picture :thumbup:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix

Post by angelix »

higgy wrote:
Angelix, I worked for Fiat in the early 70's,granted in was the US division. Even back then there was no RELIABLE way to tell the country of origin of any Weber.
If you have a DCNF with a country of origin stamped on it,I'd like to see a picture :thumbup:
Unfortunately I don't have any here with me, although I am preatty sure the set of DCOE on my wife's 1991 Duetto were definitively made in Italy (the car, according to Alfa was manufatured in January 1991)

As for the DCNF , I could check at my dad's the first time I go to visit him (in his garage hi has several webbered cars, one or two with the DCNF), althougjh it would be pointless I guess as all his cars are prior 1980.

nevertehless online there for sure pictures available, the first I found is

Honestly, I really dont care if they were made in Spain or Tegucigalpa.

What I have been trying to say is that I find VERY difficult to accept that a factory starting to manufacture in 1990 could supply Carburators for Motorcycles built a long before that period.

The fact that a bike is a 1990 model does NOT mean that all what is used to build it datecode 1990.

My own 907ie is one of the very first (chassis # ZDM906PI2000315) and I have an Official email from Ducati stating that it was manufactured in 1988 (!!!!!) although it was sold and registered long after that.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Honestly, I really dont care if they were made in Spain or Tegucigalpa.

What I have been trying to say is that I find VERY difficult to accept that a factory starting to manufacture in 1990 could supply Carburators for Motorcycles built a long before that period.

The fact that a bike is a 1990 model does NOT mean that all what is used to build it datecode 1990.

My own 907ie is one of the very first (chassis # ZDM906PI2000315) and I have an Official email from Ducati stating that it was manufactured in 1988 (!!!!!) although it was sold and registered long after that.
Nor do I care where they come from. Gert asked a question.
What you seem to be missing here is 1990 was not anywhere near the start of production in Spain. Fiat started moving things out of Italy in 1952 after the death of Edoardo Weber in 1945
1990 was the year ALL production of Weber was moved to Spain. Of the six or seven DCNF Webers I have had not one had any indication of its country of origin
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix

Post by angelix »

higgy wrote:Of the six or seven DCNF Webers I have had not one had any indication of its country of origin
I was aware that a genuine Weber has always the Logo and the plant casted or stamped on the body; very old carbs had a small plate riveted, but still with the indication of the Weber logo and the plant.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

I was aware that a genuine Weber has always the Logo and the plant casted or stamped on the body;

Nope, not in a long long time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you know that there are two types of DCNF's outside of the variations in the country of origin or size rating(ie 40,42 or 44) ? The automotive version is different from the motorcycle version FYI. Apparently the motorcycle industry had their own specs
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix

Post by angelix »

higgy wrote:
I was aware that a genuine Weber has always the Logo and the plant casted or stamped on the body;
Nope, not in a long long time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you know that there are two types of DCNF's outside of the variations in the country of origin or size rating(ie 40,42 or 44) ? The automotive version is different from the motorcycle version FYI. Apparently the motorcycle industry had their own specs
Actually I dont see anything funny in that :cool:

I am not surprised to hear there are more than one version of the same model.
I guess there were versions for the aftermarket aplications as well as versions with specs dictated by the different vehicles manufacturers ; the same applies also to other brands.

:beer:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

I am not surprised to hear there are more than one version of the same model.
Actually I dont see anything funny in that :cool:

The really odd thing is that the parts seem to swap directly between the auto and the motorcycle versions but not always between the same model of the motorcycle version. Just as an example you can have two seemingly identical 44 dcnf's with two different sizes of main bodies. Makes it kinda difficult to get the proper main chokes and auxilliary venturis. Then guys with the smaller main bodies seem to have a lot of difficulty getting the jetting spot on. The smaller size main body is almost always found on the 750's
Have no idea what that is all about nor have I found a clue to tip off the differences.
88 750
90 906
92 907ie