17" Wheel Conversion

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

speedtrifle

17" Wheel Conversion

Post by speedtrifle »

I have noticed that both the 750 Sport and 907ie have 3-spoke 17" wheels and the same or similar Marzochi M1R forks as the 750 Paso. Does anyone know if they a direct fit? Has anyone done the conversion? I assume the fork legs are different since both seem to have 4-pot Brembos.

Regards,

Steve.
750pheonix

Re: 17" Wheel Conversion

Post by 750pheonix »

speedtrifle wrote:I have noticed that both the 750 Sport and 907ie have 3-spoke 17" wheels and the same or similar Marzochi M1R forks as the 750 Paso. Does anyone know if they a direct fit? Has anyone done the conversion? I assume the fork legs are different since both seem to have 4-pot Brembos.
This is very similar to the conversion i have planned to my own paso 750... The Ducati SS series and the 907 seem to both have had the 3 spoke brembos fitted at some point. The marzocchi forks should accept them with new spindle perhaps... I haven't got the bit for measurements yet. The Brembo brake upgrade kit (@450 incl delivery as now old stock, comes with disks calipers and custom bracket) for the 750 paso uses the same 320mm disks that are on the 900SS wheels as stock but moves the front calipers with a custom mount. The only real glitch in the thing that isn't off the shelf would be fitting a rear caliper bracket to the smaller later rear disc brake of the brembo design wheels, and the spindles and the speedo drive... all ducati parts so they must be easier to mesh together than using other brands...

This mod has the added bonus of being reversible if you decide you dislike the larger wheel size.

this is the biggest mod planned... the other being the electrics and carbs.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

I made an enquiry to Mike at Gowanloch Ducati regarding the 17" conversion for my 906 a while back & here is the reply I got:

James, it's not going to be simple. You are going to need to acquire the swingarm as well as the 17" rear wheel and you would need to make mounting brackets for moving the 08 calipers on the front out further to fit on the 320mm discs or alternatively make an adaptor to fit your smaller discs onto the front 17" wheel.
We can help you with the 17" wheels. We have Marchessini 3 spoke road wheels (gold) for $AUD 2000.00 per pair. Freight charges additional.

Thanks Mike.

Gowanloch Motorcycle Engineering P/L
PO Box 333
Belmore NSW 2192
Australia
Our numbers are:
Ph: 61 2 9750 4346
Fax: 61 2 9750 7852

I have decided not to bother. If you need more info they are very helpful & Paso friendly :cool:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Check out this thread:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... opic&t=386

I'll add it to the FAQ as well.
750pheonix

Post by 750pheonix »

I had had about 5 weeks waiting for my Paso 750 to arrive and in that time done some research into common complaints with the design of the bike. I even called 'SS Motorcycles and can be contacted on 01733 530022' who were mentioned in the mailing list on the big paso resource page... they emailed me back
regarding the 16" to 17"
wheel conversion from the other day.
Parts required are obviously 17" front wheel from most
models except 748/916/996 inc discs and calipers.
17" rear wheel complete with cush and sprocket
carrier.
Some modification of rear spindle/brake caliper
carrier is required.
So i think the stock swinging arm is fonr for the conversion... but the rear caliper bracket seems to always be an issue no matter what you do because of the pasos' large disk.

I will sort out a gallery page on here soon... and post updates on progress.
ved
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by ved »

it´s possible to use the original swingarm with 4,5x17 and 5,5x17.