What is your Paso like?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Theo

What is your Paso like?

Post by Theo »

Hey Guys, I thought it would be neat to hear what our Paso's are like. .Example , at standing starts does it wheely or smoke the tires how about 2nd gear wheelies? or maybe whats the exceleration like does ,it rev up like say a 900 ss "My friend has one"and what is the real top speed of the bike.I know we all have differant things done to our bikes. My bike has the Cobra cans ,90mm high commpression pistons, fuel regulator, wiring upgrade.New plugs,filters, New sprockets, clutch, which BCM says the bigger plates are only for spacing sake? On exceleration my bike stumbles alittle pulls a nice little wheelie then it just takes off and sounds good doing it. Top speed with the new 40 t rear sprocket is 110mph?.The old 38t I made 120mph But back winding roads I love the way it pulls through the corners and out. My bike is a Blue 88 750 and I smile every time I look at her :lick:

Theo
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Good question. My bike feels like it makes heaps of power, with DellOrto 36PHFs, and Zorst cans on the open setting. The cans also make a wonderful sound.

However, I rarely take it over 5000 rpm, usually changing up between 3 and 4 thousand, and what I like about it is the smoothness of its power. I put that down mostly to exact synchronisation of the carb slides and exactly 25mm chain slack. Any less chain slack and the smoothness starts to go. The exact slide synchronisation, which I do by watching one slide while feeling for movement of the other slide with a finger in that carb, also gives extreme responsiveness.

My gearchange is pretty good, with a reversed shift pattern (one up and four down) which I prefer. The clutch action is fine also - I had a mate, who is a BMW mechanic but has read all the Ducati factory servicing advisories because they used to sell Ducks too, put the clutch together with special care.

I've never tried to wheelie my bike - I'm scared I might hurt something, with her weight and long wheel base - but my front wheel comes up on of my routes, accelerating in first on a slight rise.

I've never been anywhere near her top speed - I'm more interested these days in power and smoothness.
Theo

Whats your Paso like?

Post by Theo »

Skins, sounds like your Paso is dialed in great. Your responce gives me more food for thought.

Happy Riding :cool:
Theo
speedtrifle

Post by speedtrifle »

Theo,
My other half rides the Paso (89-90 model), I just wield the spanners, and she reports an indicated top speed of 130mph (on private roads of course, officer). It's still on the standard 15-38 gearing .

It's a bit hesitant in the mid range since the Mikuni conversion but it still has the jetting the carbs came with (Texas 900SS-FE spec) which might be a bit restrictive for the UK. I'm also still using the Paso fuel pump without regulator and am thinking of switching to a Monster pump.

Regards,

Steve.
Theo

Whats your paso like?

Post by Theo »

Thanks Steve, 130 must feel pretty neat. I have stock carbs but the bike feels like its going faster then the speedometer says if that makes sense. It pulls hard from the start with a little hesatation ,wants past first it moves quickly,but past 95 it still pulls but the odometer says otherwise . Maybe the jettings off on mine?

Thanks for the reply
Theo :thumbup:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Theo, I have a blue '88 myself, and the only real modification (in terms of performance) is a different set of jets in the Weber than the stock configuration. I've heard it referred to as the 'Canadian Spec' jetting, but there really wasn't any such animal that I know of; suffice to say the 4500rpm hesitation has been replaced by a tendancy to try & flood out at small throttle openings in hot weather. However, it just loves WOT ... :D

Otherwise, I've seen an indicated ~130mph on mine, which I'd guess to be around 120mph true speed (Ducati speedos are notoriously positive in their readings). We enjoyed it very much, thank you. In general though, when away from the cities and into the open roads, our comfortable cruising altitude is around 80mph, where we still have the ability to drop to a tuck and whack it up to triple digits, or just casually tool along. We have seen the dark side of the tachometer, you bet. ;) It's more fun than humans should be allowed to have, straight up to 9k. :D

I'm not one for wheelies or stunts, but I certainly enjoy driving fast, and driving fast well - that's the real challenge, to me. That's where my thrill comes from. Smoothness, consistency, confidence ... all while on the power.

There's a big difference in pushing the Paso compared to my Monster along my favorite bit insanity (route 13, Chittenango to Cazenovia, NY) though. The Monster's (a '97 m750) brakes are more responsive, and they have less tendancy to try & stand the bike up when you get on them in a corner; the carb is better sorted, too. But the Monster's seat isn't as comfortable, and the position is quite different.

On the Paso, I like the stability of the 16" tires, and I enjoy muscling it through turns and chicances. There's one chicane in particular that goes up & over a small rise, with a switch in camber along with the curve itself - and even though the two bikes are maybe 30lbs apart, factor in the riding position and my confidence is higher on the Paso than on the Monster when it comes to flinging through that section. Something about being attached to the bike versus being part of the bike.

At that: the required change in positioning when it comes to barreling through turns on either bike: sometimes the Monster feels like riding a charging bull - maybe it's the handlebar unit, which has just been replaced with clip-ons, and is yet to be tested - but on the Paso, I feel like we're charging as one through the turns. More unified, I guess.

And although the Monster rides sweeter, due to the carb/airbox/exhaust arrangement, it doesn't make me discount the Paso at all. If anything, it makes me want to straighten it out - because I know what it is capable of achieving. And that's what I intend to do - with a little from my friends here on the board. :thumbup: I plan to put jonslocum's wiring upgrade to work as well as put jfiore's Weber enhancements to the test, probably over the coming winter (don't want to miss any riding days!).
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

although full registered,licensed and insured i still only have a few hundred miles on this '92 907 i.e. i did ride a different bike to work every day as they all deserve to be exorcised some.
this bike was sorted and chipped by the p.o. and he did a splendid job. the 907 with fuel injection has no flat spots whatssoever and pulls cleanly from takeoff although it is best to pull from above 3 grand.
i haven't done,nor do i intend to do any burnout or wheelies as i'm afraid for myself and the bike. i do grab some throttle and run thru the gears but see no need to ring it's neck so redline is nowhere near to be seen.
love the bike and hope to use it more but would like some decent luggage of some sorts on it so it can be more of a user-friendly for the trip to work and rainy days ( don't enjoy being caught without raingear when not wearing it). have seeen the ton and then some all to easily but have no desire to risk license and life at this stage of my life,sometimes just moving hurts without having any injuries!!
Theo

Post by Theo »

Now i know why your called fasterdammit! :cool:
Thanks for the long reply "Worth reading over and over" Your responce gets me more excited about getting my Paso back to or better than A#1. I have to go out now and give my bike a big hug.

Theo :laugh:
pope

Post by pope »

This question piqued my interests so I thought that I'd join in. I have a 1988 750 in red. Here is my list of mods: Mikunis from a 900ss. Dyna coil conversion, Cobra cans, Dual headlight conversion (from Yamaha), relays installed for headlights and ignition for max voltage, Corbin seat, Full floating front discs (from ebay, a bargain!), Large hand grips (I'm a tall guy with big hands), finally a small concave mirror on the LH side to attempt to peer around my knee (Has anyone ever tried the Saeng Quick scan mirrors?). I would recommend all of the conversions made to anyone. The Mikunis and the Dyna coils specifically made HUGE differences in the performance of the bike. The Corbin is a definate especially for my size. Max speed...don't have a clue! I ride the bike at comfortable speeds. Oh one other mod that I highly remommend is Hyper Lights. The are a dual bank LED brakelight system that I mounted on each side on the rear fender. The are hard to miss at night and I wouldn't want to be rear ended. Another thing on my list that I have purchased a set of the special edition Red wheels off of ebay (16") and I was ready to mount them when I noticed that the front rim had a small flat spot on it. So I decided that I'd get it straightened before I mounted new tires, but I think the bike will look sharp in all red.
Doug
Theo

What is your paso like?

Post by Theo »

Doug,

Sounds pretty cool, can we see a picture?

Theo
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

pope wrote:"]... Here is my list of mods: ....Dual headlight conversion (from Yamaha), relays installed for headlights and ignition for max voltage, ... Oh one other mod that I highly remommend is Hyper Lights. The are a dual bank LED brakelight system that I mounted on each side on the rear fender. The are hard to miss at night and I wouldn't want to be rear ended...Doug
He Doug this sounds great, pics would be fantastic. I am especially interested in info on the Yamaha Dual Headlights you have in stalled. What are they originally from & what mods were needed to fit them?

I love night riding but don't bother on the Paso as the headlight is pathetic. I have tried a highter wattage bulb but I think this contributed to the demise of my regulator rectifier so run the standard.

Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
pope

To Theo and Redpaso

Post by pope »

Theo and Red,
I took the pictures, but I'm not quite sure how to post them. Apparently, I need to post them on a server somewhere. I'm not sure where to do it. Any instructions would be helpful. The Yamaha headlight mod is fairly common (at least I thought so!). Yamaha made a 750 in the 1980s, I think FJ750 or FZ750, that used the exact same bucket with a dual headlamp lens. I bought mine off e-bay, but could probably give you an e-mail address for a guy that has one. So the mechanical install is simple. Take the single out and put the dual in. The problem with the installation is electrical. The Pasos' weak point. You need to do a re-wire of the headlight wiring so that the headlight is a fused direct feed from the battery, through a relay to switch between high and low beam. I also use an additonal manual switch to turn off one headlight during daylight hours and then flip to two for night time. I do this so that the battery gets maximum charge from the generator during daylight hours, because running the dual headlights on high beam uses almost all of the Pasos' power generating capability. I know that Gerhard uses a generator made by Silent Hektic that pushes out more amps that would allow you to skip the switch mod. I do know that the new alternator is expensive. The headlight mod along with the aforementioned LED brake lights solves the Pasos' night time problems. At the same time you do this you should do the ignition switch/relay mod for the ignition system. Let me know if you need help with this and I'll draw something up and directly e-mail to you. If you send me your e-mail address I can e-mail the pictures of the headlight to you. One thing that I've contemplated is switching over the rear turnsignals to dual filament LED bulbs running the one filament off of the tail light power so that I have extra rear running lights with low power consumption.
Doug
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Doug,

If you PM Mike he can set up an album for you in the gallery section of this site. You can then upload to here & easily insert the pics in this forum.

Thanks for the info I have sent you a PM with my e-mail details for further info on the headlight. :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Doug

You do need to email Mike if you want to get pics into the site Gallery, as per his instructions in FAQ, and you can then load a pic from there into a post, but if you use that system to get pics into posts it means that every pic you want to put into a post must also be in the Gallery, and sometimes a pic you want to put into a post just might not be suitable for a permanent Gallery spot - assuming the purpose of the Gallery is vaguely aesthetic.

In my system (Windows XP Home) it is easy to get pics onto a server, and then into posts. I have experience only of XP, but other systems may be similar. In XP, you just go to the place in your computer where your pics are listed, and then in the menu on the left just click on 'publish this file/folder to the web', and then a wizard takes you through it. It creates a spot on a server for you. It's easy and takes just a few minutes.