looking for a used front wheel for my 750 limited edition

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Max
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

looking for a used front wheel for my 750 limited edition

Post by Max »

I am having a problem with my 750 limited edition Paso. For some reason one of the front discs wovels. Once I removed the wheel and had the wheel machined where the disc bolt on to the wheel. But, the problem is back agin. The problem is not the disc since I changed it once. Does any body know what the problem could be ? Could one of the brake caliper's pistons be frozen and pushing the disc out of center hard enough to cause tred pull at the disc's sitting area? Anyway, does any body have a used front wheel for limited edition Paso(red spoe with polished edge)?
Paul
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

Max,

I think that the first thing you need to do is find out if the wheel really is faulty. I am trying to think how you can test this...

1) Put the bike on its centre stand so that the front wheel is in the air. Stand at the side and grab the tyre at opposite sides and push with one hand while you pull with the other, then push and pull with the other hands. What you are looking for is any play when you are rocking the wheel back and forward. This could be because of wear in a bearing or the wheel is loose. The fact that you say that one of the discs wobbles infers that the other doesn't, so I don't think this is your problem.

2) With the wheel still in the air, pick a point on the mudguard that is close to the edge of the rim and spin the wheel slowly. Does the rim move in and out compared to the mudguard ? If the wheel is tight, and the bearings are OK there should be no movement.

3) Perform the same test as 2) above but with one of the disks. If the fork / mudguard are not close enough to detect small movements by eye you can place a cable tie around the fork and make it so that the end is next to the disk. Does this disk move in and out compared with the cable tie ?

4) Perform the same test with the other disk. What are the results ?

5) If only one disk wobbles I would mark both of them so that you know which disk belongs on which side. I would also make a mark across the disk and the mounting so that I could guarantee that I could put both disks back in the same position as they currently are.

6) Remove the warped / wobbling disk (when you are doing this check that all the allen bolts were tight) and place it on a flat surface such as a piece of glass. This should give you an idea if this side is perfectly flat. Turn it over and check the other side. If the disk is not flat you will need to replace it.

7) If the disk is flat, check where it mounts to the wheel to see if there is anything to stop it fitting properly. If so, clean it and replace the disk. I would tighten them in steps (ie. don't tight one completely until they are all finger tight) and them do the final tightening by tightening the opposites and then working around them this way.

8) Does the disk still wobble ? Try swapping the disk from the other side to this side ? does this wobble now ? If so, it must be the wheel / mounting. If it doesn't, put the "wobbly" disk on the other side. Does this now wobble ?

From these questions you should be able to work out if it is a bearing, a bent wheel, a bent disk, two bent disks or maybe the caliper. Hopefully from this you will know whether you need that wheel or not.

Please let us know how you get on.

Paul
Max
year: 1988

Post by Max »

Thanks paul, I guess, I have a lot of homework to do. I let you know the result.
Max