Rear turn signal stalks

discussions specific to the 907IE
Texas907ie

Rear turn signal stalks

Post by Texas907ie »

I've got a '91 907ie with original OEM rear turn signals - not converted to euro. The stalks that the rear signals are mounted on were flexible rubber at one time but have dried, cracked, and one finally broke with the signal now dangling by the wires.

The local dealer says they are unavailable from Ducati - what should I do? I'd like to stay with the OEM equipment, or at least the OEM look if possible. If euro is the only solution, where can I get the all-in-one tail light?

Thanks for your help - I am stuck!
:sad:
Rogero
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

Being based in the UK i've never seen a 907 with "stalks" but would suggest you try those boys in Australia who seem to stock everything available.
KillerB
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Hi, Texas

You should be able to find a never-used set no problem as most owners removed them and went for the Euro lens as soon as they bought the bike. I'm sure someone out there has a set they're just waiting to unload.

Regards, B
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Ebay. Try this world-wide search for Paso stuff. There'll probably be a lot of auctions you won't be able to read, so there's always altavista's babelfish to translate for you. ;)

I've seen whole units (lens, panel, etc) go for $200+. I managed to find just a lens for $50, then bought a pair of flush-mount blinker assemblies, tossed the covers, and retro-fit the units into the taillight assembly with very little modifications (2 holes to mount each unit on each of the black plastic dividers inside the lens, one hole on the backplate for each unit to pass the wires through). I didn't modify the bike's wiring at all; just bought the same size bullet connectors and spliced them onto the aftermarket blinkers, and voila. I could switch back to "all original" in about 5 minutes and none would be the wiser.

I've heard there might be some sources in the EU that have NOS Euro tail light assembles, and possibly someone is re-manufacturing them? Not sure about that one, but it's a nice idea. No links to offer for that, but you could always start with the following:

Ducati Gowanloch
EuroBrit

And there a bunch of others out there that might at least point you in a better direction.

Good luck! Sucky about the stock unit. The other option, if you decide to stay with the stalks is check salvage yards, and of course ebay. I'm sure not many people are looking for the USA-standard ... you'd probably find more people interested in selling you their old stalks than their euro units. ;)
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Rogero wrote:Being based in the UK i've never seen a 907 with "stalks" but would suggest you try those boys in Australia who seem to stock everything available.
Rogero - The stalks were a USA-spec requirement. You probably won't see them outside of the US unless it's a transplanted bike.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Shouldn't a universal Stalk mounted indicator do the job just fine. If one has perished then the other probably needs replacing as well. Universal mounts are cheap & available in any bike shop.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

I have now seen acouple of pictures with 907IE's with stalks. This I take it is the same US legislation which was responsible for big rubber bumpers on MG cars in the 70's!

Keep smiling.
Texas907ie

Got em - thanks for the help!

Post by Texas907ie »

Well I am overdue on getting back to close this topic out. I tried to get my local Ducati shop to find these in their parts catalog and they didn't really seem to try. So after looking at some of the sites you provided, I called a parts dealer in Australia and they provided the part numbers (they said they could order them but didn't have any in stock). I called my local dealer back, provided the part numbers and they had the original OEM signals for me in less than a week! Also, they were extremely cheap - like $40 total. And that included the stalk AND the signal both.

So a happy ending for me once again. I have been truly lucky.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by Texas907ie on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

Guess what! if you open up your U.S. spec tailight assembly and then take apart your broken turn signal stalks and remove the reflector and light assembly and place them into the tailight unit....they fit!

And with a little dab of epoxy to keep the lights from rattling around you now have a single solid red tailight unit. Mine has worked perfectly for about 6 years. Of course a little do it yourself capability helps.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

hmmm interesting..... have you ever had any trouble from the relevant authorities (ie Police or Motor vehicle inspection/regulation types) because you have red flashing indicators?
Redpaso
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Hey, Red! Something kept me reading this thread after I opened it - I hadn't seen it before. It seemed to be something that was going to lead somewhere. And it steadilly got better and better, a story with a biginning, and middle, and then, at the end, your red flashing highlight! Wonderful!
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

redpaso wrote:hmmm interesting..... have you ever had any trouble from the relevant authorities (ie Police or Motor vehicle inspection/regulation types) because you have red flashing indicators?

Not about the tail lights! Speed is another matter. U.S. doesn't require
amber turn indicators on vehicles. Most cars have only red at the rear over here. The turn indicator stalk issue has to do with a minimum distance the right and left have to be a part, not color.
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

So sticking your arm out 1960's style isn't an option in the US then!!? And the old rolling arm for slowing down.... :screwy:

The site is always enlightening if not overly busy.

I've just ordered a Corbin seat for my 907 - after 12 years there's not much support left for my rear end, has anybody any experience of these?

Corbin seats that is! :D

Roger
pencilbeam

Post by pencilbeam »

Rogero wrote:So sticking your arm out 1960's style isn't an option in the US then!!? And the old rolling arm for slowing down.... :screwy:

The site is always enlightening if not overly busy.

I've just ordered a Corbin seat for my 907 - after 12 years there's not much support left for my rear end, has anybody any experience of these?

Corbin seats that is! :D

Roger
They are the best. Beautifully made and worth the money. (you will notice it is very heavy, but your arse will love it) Make sure to have them stitch in the little Italian flag on the back. FYI, hand signals are still common here as all the Harley riders take their signals off.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

pencilbeam wrote:
Not about the tail lights! Speed is another matter. U.S. doesn't require
amber turn indicators on vehicles. Most cars have only red at the rear over here. The turn indicator stalk issue has to do with a minimum distance the right and left have to be a part, not color.

you Yanks sure have your own way of doing almost everything, I can't say that i see any logic behind it (don't see a lot behind our laws either). to me it would make more sence to have them a different colour than to have them sitting so far out they collect the mirrors of passing cars. So if the space between them is the issue how do you get away with the red indicators in the "euro setup"?

As for that speed thing, I think it is pretty universal
Redpaso