Left engine cover removal

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Harry
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Left engine cover removal

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the picture tutorial i understand what i must now do, this has made the job a lot easier . That will be my job in the morning. :thumbup:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

the b&w pic is from the Monster/SS Haynes manual. You find it in the downloads topic in the P750 forum. I replaced the old files with a better version today.

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ok i have determined to rotation for the Sprag and as a precaution i have shortened the old Starter Sprag Spring by a 1/4 inch and kept it as a spare. My next question is this, on fitting the new SKF Sprag the lock ring that held the old sprag in will not fit back into its recess the new sprag is about 0.5mm higher than the old. does the lock ring go back in with the new Sprag?
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I don`t know as I have the SKF sprag only as a spare. In case noone knows you could try to contact bevelheaven.

G.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

you could also try to call bevelrubber in AUS as they are selling them, too.
http://bevelrubber.com.au/cart/index.ph ... ucts_id=79

The lock ring is needed as not only does it hold the part in place but as I heard it should also prevent the assy from running dry by stopping the oil that`s pressed out by the centrifugal forces.

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Well after all i said and done the Old sprag has gone back in with the spring shortened because i didnt like the fact that the new one was to thick to put the retaining circlip back on, so everything is ready to be buttoned up ,ordered my new Gasket from Gowanlach and it arrives after 10 days and ....... aaarrgghhh they have sent the wrong bloody Gasket , with it being New Years here i cannot make contact with them to tell them of the mistake i have tried everywhere for another Gasket but no luck so the Paso is sitting in the Shed with the cover still off and is going no where unless i strike out and get a tube of Locktite Super Grey which i am at a half a mind to do. But i did read here somewhere that the Gasket was important for its thickness mmmm ive had a look and some how that argument does not convince me. I really do need to get her going its been 8 months since she and i have had a run. :banghead:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Well the bike is all back together , insert the Key and hit the starter......... excatly the same no change, starter motor is spinning freely and not engaging damn it all i wish i hadnt touched the old girl now with the Hicap starter upgrade i had no problems up till then, im not blaming the Hicap but yeh that was the last time she fired up :,(
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

what you could have done is place a wet sand paper on a glass panel and sand off the 0,5mm so the SKF part would`ve fitted. Being the wider side I`d done that on the edge with the cut out.
Then blow it off with the compressor and wash it to get rid of any metal dust.
Assuming the old starter sprag is now mounted exactly like before and not reversed there`re several causes possilbe.
1. old starter sprag too worn
2. surfaces of clutch gear or flywheel worn
3. are the cables of the HiCap kit connected correctly ?
4. had you removed or opened the starter to ie change the brushes ?

Just wondering if the starter motor is running reverse. If I`m correct you should see it spin clockwise when the left engine cover is removed (edit: correct is counterclockwise!). If you try that disconnect the spark plug cables !

G.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes Paso750 with the Left hand cover off the Motor the Starter does spin Clockwise so this acording to what you have written and the way i am reading it is the wrong way for it to spin? and this would make sense as the Ring Gear will lock when spun counter clockwise if so this would go way back to when i replaced the brushes and there is some discussion here on the forum about the Starter spinning backwards the general opinion then was that this could not happen but i did get a replacment set of Brushes and installed them and if memeory serves me correctly they would only fit one way, this is not to say that they had been put together incorrectly at the point of manufacture so i am going to remove the end cap from the starter and have another look . My new years resolution is to have the Paso running by tomorrow lol it even put a damper on my new years celebration last night as it was all i could think of haha, mmmm looks like the Paso has enerted my blood and will not let me rest. :D
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ok with the Starter Motor pulled apart and the Brushes removed it is phsyicaly impossible to put the Brushes in any other way. It is correct for the battery + to go to the Starter Motor yes? after going through the Solenoid.
Harry

Post by Harry »

One other thing that i has just came to mind is when fitting the Hi Cap upgrade it was suggested to me on here that instead of running the Earth Wire to the Frame where it was originally, run it to the Engine, now i may just be grasping at Straws here but do any of you think that this could be the cause of the Sarter spinning backwards? its a long shot but hey i am coming to the end of the road with this so to speak and running out of ideas as to what is happening.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Happy new year !

How others managed to make the starter motor run the other way around I really don`t know. There are marks on the front, rear and middle part of starter housing which must all align. If that`s all ok it`s fine. (See also Haynes manual 8-22) You should check that in case you missed this.
instead of running the Earth Wire to the Frame where it was originally, run it to the Engine
Which makes me wonder as the ground wire originally runs from the battery to the frame and splits from there to the engine. That`s on a 750, the 906 may be different.

The workshop manual says about the starter motor (p. M-11):
Rotation: counterclockwise from the power take-off side
I was sure it was the other way round :banghead: (which still makes me wonder as there are assembly instructions saying the starter sprag would lock clockwise, looking at the open engine - bevelrubber website see link above - which can`t hardly be as it must rotate in the same direction the starter does as there`s a cog between starter and flywheel. Makes me wonder which info is correct :roll: )
If your starter does indeed spin reverse do check all alignment marks as suggested.

G.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I have a spare gear with the stock sprag,I'll see which way it rotates
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Higgy it will be ineteresting to see what you come up with.
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

To be sure, I always run the starter f 2 secs, w/o plugs,
f checking sprag engages before mounting eng cover.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07