750 Sport restoration project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1988

Re: 750 Sport restoration project

Post by Andrew2 »

Anyhow I'm thinking that'll have to do for today because it's bucketing down and I don't have a battery to jump off....or do I. I'd completely forgot about the power pack I'd bought for my Simpson Desert trip last year on the DR650 which got cancelled ( thanks Corona :banghead: ).

Connect it up and start cranking and no go for a few seconds then she fired into life :choo: . I videoed it but I'm not sure how to upload the video.
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Yeah mate that's great news, would be great to see a video on here but not sure thats possible. I managed to chuck a short video on YouTube a few mths back when I first got her running prior to the engine rebuild. Not the best videographer ( if thats even a word)but you get the gist and it was easy enough, well done Andrew ,I'm hoping to fire mine up this week.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Cheers mate.

I'm hoping to pick up a battery tomorrow and put her all back together and go for a ride. I did the same thing as Gerhard and bought new tyres 6 years ago. They've never been used and don't feel as nice as I'd like but if I take it easy I should be ok.

Let's hope you get her going mate.
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

The tyres are a sticky topic, pardon the pun haha. Al my bikes really should be renewed, as for starting mine it should have happened yesterday but the spigot for the fuel tank/ tap is a slightly threaded so I either need another or see if I can run a die over there, so I will have a go tonight, good luck with yours.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Bad jokes down the corridor thanks Hahaha. You're right though, it's sometimes hard to tell if they're ok or not until they get roughed up a bit but then it could be too late. I might get some coarse sandpaper out and rough up the edges a bit. I've done that occasionally in the past to get the releasing agent off but not for a long time.
Lets hope the die will clean up that thread of yours.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I picked up the battery yesterday.

I'm thinking I should have bought a Lithium battery. That's once around the dial and fully bottomed out on the scale :shock:

I'm guessing it's around 6.5 kgs or more :dunno: . It doesn't really matter at this point in time but man that's one heavy battery.

It was a real tight fit too.

I've since put some foam against the carbie side of the frame to stop it from rubbing. I can't see how it's strapped in so will probably run some cable ties around the battery to stop it wobbling around.
I've connected up a battery tender cable also while in there.

I notice the choke wasn't turning all the way on when I ran it on Sunday so adjusted that up as well.

I
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

The Sport has been registered on Historic plates for a quite a few years now even though it hasn't been ridden yet and today my historic inspector is coming around again to do the paper work on the Sport and the K100rs. With a bit of luck and if the rain ever stops here on the east coast I'll get out to ride her this week. Wish me luck.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Passed for another 12 months
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Another step closer today. Because of the tank being buckled from my stupid mistake earlier in the piece I've had to make up some spacers for it to fit until I get my spare tank painted.
A little higher on the front.

And some support towards the back where the rubber posts would normally be. If I put the posts back on it sits the back of the tank too high to bolt down.

Longer bolts for the front.

I also got the indicators working.

All I have to do now is fit the tank and seat and she's ready to go. I'll run a spanner over everything before a test ride to make sure nothing is loose.

If a mate hadn't turned up this afternoon it would be done.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I need to find some more of these too.

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

She's finished. I had a little more trouble with fitting the tank but it wasn't the tanks fault this time. When I had the frame powder coated they didn't plug the threads so I had to run a tap through them. I had so much trouble fitting the fuel lines and fiddling around with the fuel pump connection that I did it with the tank on.

I will need to get some proper fuel hose as the car type stuff I'm using doesn't like the bend it has to do to clear the rear cylinder from the fuel tap. I could turn the tap a bit but I try and leave things alone that don't need fixing plus it would make it hard to turn the fuel off. I also don't like the look of the hose coming around the outside of the cam belt covers.

She's certainly small up against the 1150 but I can tell it's heavier to push around since I put that battery in. The only downside is I'll have to ride it without the seat cowl on. They must have designed it for skinnier blokes that me because it's a tight fit with my fat arse on it :dunno:
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Great work getting her ready to blast in the last few weeks. The nano gel battery is heavy for sure, I have decided to squeeze the moto batt into mine, same size hopefully a little lighter.The fuel lines are a real painful experience in my opinion as well, and getting the tap in the right spot as well.I like the fact you kept the weber and hope it works well for you, have you had a run yet?
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

I was going out today but decided to do a little work on the DR650 instead. I did fire her up again for a mate though. As per Ducati's handbook it wouldn't start until I worked out that it didn't have enough fuel in the tank. It was on the paddock stand so all the fuel was down the front. Took it off the stand, topped it up and she fired straight away.
I might bleed the front brake before I go out. It works ok but feels a bit stiff to squeeze. It could be just the way they are.
nr.
year: 1991

Post by nr. »

Andrew2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:05 am <snip>
I will need to get some proper fuel hose as the car type stuff I'm using doesn't like the bend it has to do to clear the rear cylinder from the fuel tap. I could turn the tap a bit but I try and leave things alone that don't need fixing plus it would make it hard to turn the fuel off. I also don't like the look of the hose coming around the outside of the cam belt covers.
If you haven't already found it, I'd highly recommend Tygon hose. Really easy to work with, and lasts well. Not the cheapest stuff out there, but it's what I use on all my bikes now - https://nronketti.wordpress.com/2022/01/08/lux-prima/ to see how I got on with it on the 750.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Thanks NR, I'll see if I can find some locally here. Your Sport is coming along nicely.