My first new tyres

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Paul
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

My first new tyres

Post by Paul »

When I bought my bike four years ago it came with a spare set of new Metzler tyres. I had a problem with the valve on the front wheel two weeks ago so I decided to replace the tyre at the same time. I had always thought that Ducati's should have good handling and was not impressed with the Paso (I even leaned a Buell over further during a test ride than I had ever managed with the Paso...).

Well, the new tyres are on and what a difference. She loves leaning over now. The first picture is of the old front tyre from when I just pulled off of Kyalami race track, marbles and all. The other two are before I test rode with the new tyres. All I can say is if you are having handling problems, take a good look at the tyres first. I also realised that these are the first new motorbike tyres I have ever had in all my years of riding.

The old front tyre -

The new front tyre -

and the new rear tyre -

Aren't they pretty ?

Paul

(self proclaimed sad git)
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Yeah, what a difference! What tires are you running now? Sizes, too,please. Did you convert to larger rims? I'll bet you're loving it now, huh. :) :thumbup:

I know it's time for me to get a new set of sneakers, too ... the rear is starting to square off, so when it gets pitched into a corner it fights a little bit, then dives in. It's not bad - I've ridden worse - but I know where it's headed ... :umm:
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

Tyres do make a big difference. That’s why we used to cover the race tyres to keep the UV light off them. Our race engineer would never let a car race on tyres that had spent time in daylight; the rubber turns a blue’ish colour. Also can go hard.
I think that’s why the handling of my bike is not great. (Wobbles mid corner!) The Paso may be faster but I can ride the Triumph faster! I am just about to go a hunt for a set for mine
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Paul, you really need to get out there & ride more mate. :D
Any tyre that is not used much will go off as Motiztab stated & is not that much fun to ride. Nice new rubber, details please.
How about some shots of the whole bike too.:cool:

As for lean angles I think the Paso leans right over no problem & I have wear on mine right to the edges which if you tip the bike (stationary in the garage) equates to some pretty serious lean. The key to stopping a tyre "Squaring off" is to aviod long straight boring freeways. I don't ride unless there are going to be some good curves invlolved. Keeps the wear even & the adrenalin high. :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Paul

Post by Paul »

Instead of just putting the sizes I went and had a look at what was written on the tyres.

Front :

Metzler MEZ1 130/70 ZR 16 (61W)

Rear :

Metzler ME1 MBS 160/70 VB 16 (71V)

So as you can see, I still have the standard 16 inch wheels. The middle of the tread on the rear tyre almost touches the swinging arm. There are only a couple of millemetres to spare. This is with the axle in the lowest position in the concentric adjuster.

I have photos that I took of the whole bike and will start the process of putting them in the gallery today.

Paul
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Thanks Paul,

Please get some miles under the bike & let us know how she handles / wears with this rubber. Also let us know if you have any trouble with expansion due to heat that results in rubbing on teh swingarm. Always good to know of tyre options.

Looking forward to the pictures. :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Indeed - I'm curious about the 70-section tires, as I believe 60-section were the original spec. Metzler is the last company to my knowledge to make a matched pair of 60-section rubber - I think the A59s? 130/60ZR16 and 160/60ZR16s maybe (not sure about the Z rating though).

And it's time for a new pair for me ... I think I'm in the 8-9k range on the rear, and it's squared to the point where it takes a little muscle to get it past the transition, and then it dives right in ... :eek:

Looking forward to pictures, too!
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
mike
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by mike »

fasterdammit wrote:Indeed - I'm curious about the 70-section tires, as I believe 60-section were the original spec. Metzler is the last company to my knowledge to make a matched pair of 60-section rubber - I think the A59s? 130/60ZR16 and 160/60ZR16s maybe (not sure about the Z rating though).

And it's time for a new pair for me ... I think I'm in the 8-9k range on the rear, and it's squared to the point where it takes a little muscle to get it past the transition, and then it dives right in ... :eek:

Looking forward to pictures, too!
I think you meant Michelin?

I too am interested in this setup. Michelin is on my shit list after the USGP. I spent quite a bit of time talking with reps from Bridgestone and Pirelli about our 16" tire problem. Why can't we have our Pirellis back?!?! :sad:
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

whups ... right you are - Michelin, not Metzler. Good catch! Got M on the brain ...

I would love to replace them w/ Pirellis ... !
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

well,
I used the Michelins for a couple of years but I am not that happy with the performance.
After a while I found another possibility.

So I just ordered the new Metzeler Lasertec:

150/80VB16 M/C (71V) TL Lasertec METZELER
120/80VB16 M/C (60V) TL Lasertec Front METZELER

I will post a report as soon as possible...

regards
fklemenz
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

Do your local policemen let you ride with such tyres or you ride only in racing circuit?
In italy it's not possible ride with something different of 130/60-16 and 160/60-16 :mad:
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

The dimensions are possible in Germany,
I have a certification from DNL Ducati Germany for the Dunlop Sportmax in the same size. You only have to do a 'few' modifications because the wheels are a bit higher then. They should not scratch the swingarm or even the chain.

fklemenz
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

OK,
The copies of the certifications for the german TUEV are at home.
I will scan them and send them to your email adress tomorrow.

Anyway they are for the 750 Sport not for a Paso but the paso and the sport have the same wheels, you can ask the guys at the TUEV before buying the tyres.
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

Hi again,
there's something I forgot:
http://www.ducclub.de/technik/750s.htm
Thats a page decribing the problems with the 16" wheels

CU
fklemenz
Paul

Post by Paul »

fklemenz,

Can you give us an overview of what the page says ? It doesn't have to be word for word.

Thanks

Paul