My first new tyres

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

You can be sure, that ill check, can they be found still, or is there some new design of those Mezelers :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:confused:

Paul, I must say I'm not enthusiastic about the small clearances you are running with these tyres. I reckon you should get some advice from experianced professionals in the chassis or suspension business, or keep to under 50 mph for the next 5 to 10 thousand miles.

When flexible things make contact with something else when they are moving at the speeds which would apply to your chain or your tyre's circumference at more than 50 mph, things can happen very quickly and unpredictably. I once had the mudguard on a boat trailer make contact with a tyre. God knows how it actually came to touch - the mess that was left afterwards was impossible to untangle.

Sell those bluddy tyres before you put too much wear on them!
Paul
year: 1987

Swinging arm / tyre clearances

Post by Paul »

I had to strip the bodywork off on Saturday to do the wiring changes as per Jon Slocum. When the bodywork is off you can see the whole area around the swinging arm quite well. Between the treaded part of the tyre and the swinging arm there is between 8 and 10 mm space.

There were also no scuff marks on either the swinging arm or tyre.

Paul
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

All right. But try not to go over the ton, OK?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Skins,

I assume you mean the imperial ton (you are starting to sound like my Mother used to). I find that anything over 140kph and the buffeting becomes excessive anyway.

Am I the only owner whose head sits in the air coming over the top of the screen. I am only 1.78cm (5 feet 10 and a half inches) tall, although my upper body is slightly longer than my legs. Even if I push my backside up the hump in the seat my head still gets a blast of air.

Paul
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Imperial. Of course. The kilometric ton doesn't mean much, I reckon. But jeez, the real ton is fast enough for me. Only been there a couple of times in my life, and not for many years now. I dunno how these guys go 150 and 160 on the latest machinery.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never done the ton on a bike with a fairing. Perhaps I could handle that now. Maybe this summer.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Paul,

being the same height I know what you complain of, just tuck down a bit more if possible. The buffeting is the reason the 907 has the "scoop & deflector" incorporated into the screen.

At the risk of also sounding like your mother I would also express some of "Brother Skins" concerns. If the tyre is missing the swing arm by 6-8mm it should be fine but only 3mm on the chain could be a bit of a concern. Something moving as fast as a chain@ speed & remembering a correctly set up chain should be on the slightly lose side could potentially have enough sideways movement to come into contact with a rotating tyre with not good results in a short period of time. If you cannot do anything to get a wider clearance keep a bloody good eye on the side of the tyre EVERY time you stop. Should it show any sign of contact, replace it! The Michelins aren't perfect but they are a perfect fit! Also ensure the chain is always correctly adjusted.

We don't want to make you paraniod we just want to keep you riding :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

Hi folks,
to avoid the wheel touching the chain we used to replace the chain 3mm more to the left side.
We took some alluminium rings and put them under the sprockets.
That worked fine on a 750 Sport.
By the way, the Metzler MEZ1 130/70 ZR 16 (61W) is not easy to get. I used the ME1 Sporttec instead.
The ME1 MBS 160/70 VB 16 (71V) can still be bought, but this is the last year Metzeler produces the tyre.

Last weekend I fixed my new Metzeler Lasertec on the 750 Sport in the following dimensions:
150/80 VB 16 and 120/80 VB 16
The wheels look a bit stange in contrast to the old michelins and the side stand is a bit too short.
And we took 1 hour to get the 150/80 fixed on the 5 inch wheel.
The driving is brilliant, totally new bike. No falling in the corners at low speed. A lot more grip on wet steets.
Bad thing is, that the rear wheel looks somehow like a bicycle...
Good thing is, both tyres were only 167 EUR...
Will post a few photos the next days

All the best
fklemenz
Paul

Post by Paul »

fklemenz,

Just to clarify, you put a 3mm spacer between the rear sprocket and where the sprocket would normally mount on the wheel. And you put another 3mm spacer between the front sprocket and whatever is behind the front sprocket (sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here).

Were these spacers the full size of the mating surface ? or were they just like washers around each bolt ?

Thanks

Paul
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

Paul,
no washers!
I made a ring for the whole surface and took longer screews then.
For the front sprocket I could buy a different sprocket, that was uesed for the PVM 17" conversion.

fklemenz
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Very interesting, fklemenz. I sure am looking forward to seeing those photos. Is the steering still very light but stable in a straight line?
angelick

michelin o metzeler

Post by angelick »

que me pongo ? gracias :thumbup:
ansim

Post by ansim »

Hello,

Saw in the tire thread that you mentioned a different front sprocket.

I asume it has a different offset, compared to stock Paso.
Do you have any refence to other bikes, that uses these front sprockets?
I'm about to make the wheel conversion and need probably to adjust this.

//Anders

fklemenz wrote:Paul,
no washers!
I made a ring for the whole surface and took longer screews then.
For the front sprocket I could buy a different sprocket, that was uesed for the PVM 17" conversion.

fklemenz
fklemenz

Post by fklemenz »

Hi again,
the different front sprocket can be bought at http://www.italo-shop.de
They still offer a 17 inch conversion with PVM wheels. And in the catalog they have this front sprocket.
I bought it for the 750 Sport some years ago, but I guess it is the same for the Paso.
Just ask the guys within an email, they know the old Ducis very well.
The sprocket costs 37,90 EUR, not cheap, but better than a modified original that says good bye on the motorway...

I still want to upload the photos from my new Metzeler Lasertec, but have to wait till I get the digi cam back...

fklemenz
[/img]
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

HI Guys!

There is NOT ANYMORE that ME1 MBS 160/70 VB 16 REAR tire in Mezelers web site to fit Paso rear :mad:

So, looks, that only possibility is that Michelin to rear :rant:

Or have anybody any other in mind ???

Finnpaso