dropped a shim

discussions specific to the 907IE
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

dropped a shim

Post by higgy »

Anyone ever have to search between the swingarm and engine for a shim ?
can't find the stupid thing...... :wacko:

its an opener shim :beer:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Re: dropped a shim

Post by ducbertus »

never thought the swing arm needs opener shims :shock:
but on the other hand you're never to old to learn from experts. :lol:

Bertus, who still has all the shims.
Duc906
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

Can you describe the sound it made when you dropped it, was it a clink or a thunk or maybe a clang, it might help us. :banghead: :lol: :lol:
giocast
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

Post by giocast »

you've cheered me up Higgy - I dropped a closer shim in my kitchen while replacing a bent valve and well, it's gone to the Bermuda triangle as far as I can make out.. I've searched and searched, emptied boxes twice, even tried a CSI approach as I know it hit the stool leg at least once on the way down. Now given up and resigned to the fact that I will need another (and probably would have anyhow).
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

it was kind of a clink clank rattle rattle, you know the kind of sound only hardened steel makes against aluminium then stopped all of a sudden before hitting the concrete floor :banghead:

then there was a sudden flurry of cursing in Italian followed by the throwing of tools :lol: :lol: :lol: and the bangin of my head :wacko:

Gio...I did the CSI trial as well. Tried with 3 other shims,found every one of those when they hit the floor. Couldn't get the spin just right I guess :beer: :beer:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix

Post by angelix »

mmm

behind the rear Cylinder, just in front of the swinging arm there is like a sort of a "pocket" on the top the crankcase , were lots of dirt and oils spills tend to find a resting place.

that is were I would look on the bike and if I find it there , then fine... if not well I would stop looking immediately, it will show up the minute you come back from the Ducati store with the new shim. :drunk:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

that is were I would look on the bike and if I find it there , then fine... if not well I would stop looking immediately, it will show up the minute you come back from the Ducati store with the new shim. :drunk:
I already stopped and used another.
I figure I'll find it someday. Can't get my fingers or a magnet into that pocket and I'm sure there is a lump of something there it landed in. Next time I clean it I most likely will send it into the yard somewhere :fart:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
giocast

Post by giocast »

higgy wrote: Gio...I did the CSI trial as well. Tried with 3 other shims,found every one of those when they hit the floor. Couldn't get the spin just right I guess :beer: :beer:
literally lol Higgy - only just read this! I thought of replicating 'incident' just like you but was afraid that they too would disappear down the same black hole/light defracting space and time generator. I think a mouse has stored it and i'll find it in the attic in the middle of a stack of grain one day.

Meanwhile I ordered a new one (£20 in the UK for a closer) and all is ready to go back on when i'm fit enough. :beer:

Off topic, but really sparing a thought for good old Hamish - I wish I had half his tenacity and eagerness.
Last edited by giocast on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Off topic, but really sparing a thought for good old Hamish - I wish I had half his tenacity and eagerness.

Agreed :thumbup: :beer: :beer:

images of shattered bones,beer and wrenches in hand..wife rolling eyes and wondering why and who she chose to marry while running out to the chemist to fill another bottle of pain killers and more beer.. Hamish calling out to see if she would mind a detour to the local duc shop
And an image of that same look on my wifes face :beer: :beer:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

And it goes on , Now I have an infection in my leg which required the removal of the bone graft , but that didnt work so now I have to have the pin ( the second one ... 1st one broke )
removed and its back to the external framework ( apparently infections are hard to get rid of if there is metal present).The Dr happily tells me I will still be able to ride as all the pins will be sticking out of the outside of my leg ( not the inside where they would scratch the tank).....dunno how he thinks Im going to get my pants on , what a dumdass! :lol: :lol: This friggin leg has so persistantly come up with different ways to thwart any efforts to make it useful or reliable we now call it Harley :D
This is a good web site .... for a lot of reasons.. not just paso's :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

...dunno how he thinks Im going to get my pants on , what a dumdass!
You will have to check where male strippers get their "velcro pants". :mrgreen:

G.

PS: how can such a pin break ? :?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

All the screws are what held the pin and my knee together , the pins are what held the 1st lot of external frame work on . The pin broke because the bone graft was a dud and the pin was doing all the work . I would have thought that an orthopedic surgeon would have had a bit of engineering nouse , apparently not , stupid place to have a screw hole and Im not surprized it broke where it did ( made a noise just like Higgy's shim hitting the swingarm too ). I think that it had been "metal fatiguing" at the screw hole and eventually just broke , And I wasn't the only victim ..... I landed on the cat :lol: :lol: :lol: the bastard bit me !
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Mctool
When they clear up that infection and redo the graft do yourself and the rest of us a favor

Take it easy for 6 months, its only 6 months . I watched a friend of mine with skewers in his leg so they could grow the bones long enough to pin them back together.
It was 6 months in rehab and a year before he could walk normally, well normally enough. He walks better than I. He is 62 now and still riding and after many years walks and runs. I'll most likely never run but I can walk fairly normally and one day I may even be able to shift normally. Till then I use GP shift, I can do that for most of the day now. Gets tougher after 6 hours. Neurosurgeon is amazed I can shift at all but I was determined.

Of course if you can't they can always cut the sucker off then you'll be old pegleg Mctool :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking for a power shifter to fit the bikes :beer: :beer:
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:Of course if you can't they can always cut the sucker off then you'll be old pegleg Mctool :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep , we've had that talk . If they cant get rid of the infection and get the next bone graft to work .... off it comes: mid thigh, and in all probability thats what will happen , and whatever happens has to happen before this infection finds it way into the metalwork in my pelvis/hip otherwise I wont even have an arse to laugh off :( . I know people can ride with one leg , but no arse... I'd keep sliding off the side .
Ha ha , In this modern age you would think that a transplant would be possible, but knowing my luck I'd get another left one or a different colour, or maybe a chicks leg ( imagine the dissapointment when ya hand got to the top of that and found a pair of balls :lol: :lol:....... or buying shoes ) I tell one thing tho , I WILL keep riding . :thumbup: :beer:
giocast

Post by giocast »

Good on you Hamish - not sure I could keep my sense of humour so intact considering all your going through, hope the cat's forgiven you. :beer: