discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

hvv
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Engine died, battery down

Post by hvv »

Dear Friends,

I was very stuppid to state about a week ago that I had never had any electrical problems. God obviously also rides a paso and is a member of Ducatipaso.org and dicided to come down on me. When I was riding my battery light came on and I diceded to head for home.

I didn't make it all the way and about 5 km from home the engine died. I had to push 190 kg for 5 kliks and was pretty beat when I got home. However it was a good excersise. It is clear to me (I think) that the battery wasn't getting charged anymore and when the battery got low on juice the ignition failed and the engined stopped.

Now my gess is that the charger is gone and my question to is if anyone will tell me where to look. Probebly somewhere behind the LH enginecover. Where do I start and what do I need? Can I test anything before dismanteling the beast?

Please Advise!

Greatings,

Hans
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

It's usually the regulator under the seat that fails, not the alternator inside the engine cover on the left side. This failure is common and there are a few options to the factory regulator. Electrx makes the preferred replacement, so google them.

The elctrical problems that have been discussed and dismissed :-) by you previously can cause repeated regulator failure as well as battery boil over.

Read the thread on starting and you can begin to get an idea of the cause. The addition of the relays is fairly easy to peform and is reversible if you want to return it to original.
hvv

Post by hvv »

Jon,

I've been looking at the regulator as you suggested. According to the parts microfiches it is located on the "plate" under the seat. In my bike there is a digiplex unit mounted at that location and there is another unit on the side of tail (behind the fairing). The last one looks more like the regulator as discribed in the microfiches. I can't find any indication of two such devices in the microfiches. Have you got any clue wich one is the regulator (I think it is the one on the side of the tail) and what the other unit might be?

Is it possible to repare the regulator or is the only option to replace the unit?

Hans
Rodney
year: 1986

Post by Rodney »

:roll: the regulator will be the one that the cables go into the left hand side casing and then to the fuses . if it is the one on the side then check the eathing is ok and that the airflow is good so it doesn't overheat.

rodney
hvv

Post by hvv »

I did some more reading this morning (it was pretty late last night) and saw that the regulator is the on the side of the tail and the digplex unit on the "plate" is in fact the alternator.

What I find strange is that the alternator is not on the parts microfiches.

I wil start with checking the grounds (earthing) of the regulator before buying a new one. The Electricsports (form. Electrex) wil cost about 195,- USD with shipping.

Maybe I will ask my car dealer (I drive a Lancia) if he can get a simelair device (perhaps used) from FIAT, Alfa Romeo or Lancia because they use them too!