starter problems

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
jrmundkur
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

starter problems

Post by jrmundkur »

Thought I had a battery problem as the solenoid just made a click but the starter did not turn over. Changed to a brand new charged battery but same problem.
Bypassed the solenoid to check if there was excessive voltage drop across the solenoid contacts but no change.
Any suggestions ?
If I have to change the starter, can a get a starter from a more recent ducati model ?
If so which. It seems I have to remove the engine side cover to get at the mounting bolts. Do I have to drain the cooling system and remove the water pump to do this ?

Any help would be great
thanks
RiTo
year: 1989

Re: starter problems

Post by RiTo »

Hi!

If you want to remove the starter motor you will need to pull the left side cover off and unfortunately that means draining the cooling system and motor oil. Probably you need just new brushes and there is no need to buy new starter motor.
-Harri
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Use the search engine above next to the FAQ and key in "Starter Problems" there are lots of discussions for the 906 and 907 which may assist you, it could be your starter sprag spring or earth problems etc, I would have a good look through the articles first before I start stripping the bike down. Have a multi meter handy aswell. :thumbup: Good Luck.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hi,
Just had the same thing on my P750 last month. The solenoid clicks but the starter will not turn. It was the starter motor brushes, one was worn right down. Purchased a "replacement kit" for $65 which included the mounting plate, brushes etc. It is possible to get the cap off the starter motor while it is on the bike, but refitting the brush plate is impossible, you need to remove the starter motor for that. So, you might as well just dive in and get the side cover off to remove the starter motor.
Cheers, Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
jrmundkur

Post by jrmundkur »

Thanks for the responses.
Sorry I did not respond earlier. Have not been able to log in for the last 4 days

Does anyone know where to get a new or refurbished starter for the 906 and also a gasket set ?
Was quoted $ 554.00 just for the starter by the local dealer for Ducati part.
davo
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by davo »

Hi, try these guys. I bought one off them and it was the exact same one as i pulled out. They also have brush kits.
Your local ducati dealer can get a starter motor gasket.

http://www.stockers.com/
And remember: ride hard, take chances!
romus

Post by romus »

Fraser wrote: ...It is possible to get the cap off the starter motor while it is on the bike, but refitting the brush plate is impossible...
It is possible - I did both :thumbup: . First, to get it the cap off, you have to take off that solenoid starter-starting engine connection cable because it blocks getting at the cap. There might be an easier way, but i undid any ties I could then as I unscrewed it I let the twists go evenly into the wire - I wrote down the number of twists.

Then, before taking the cap off mark on the starter motor where the cap bolts align (needed for putting it back). Then loosen the bolts and remember the order you take the bolts out (can stick into cardboard and number) - as I remember there is one bolt that partly comes out, then you turn the cap a bit before it can fully slide out. You have to remember that.

When replacing, loop some very thin wire (I used fuse wire) to hold the brushes in place - so both wire ends also stick out and are held taught by your hand while holding the cap. Now, jostle the cap back in the opposite way it came out - including that bolt partly in screw it a bit, before it drops in mostly. Line up the bolts to the alignment marks you made on the starter motor before you took it off, leaving a very small gap so it is not flush yet and that space will now allow you to pull out the fuse wire that is holding the brushes in. Pull on one end of the fuse wire and it will come out. Then make the cap flush and tighten all the bolts.

Sorry, I am not an expert - as I remember as well I had to remember how the brushes came out, so I put them back correctly, and I also lightly sanded the starter motor rod that the brushes rub against.

Replace the solenoid starter-starting engine connection cable. Since I had removed it counting twists in the free wire, I checked I had those twists and screwed it back in, so when tightened there were no twists.

PS. I am glad I did it this way. Later, when I took the alternator side off the motor to replace the sprag clutch, I could see getting at the Starter motor from there would also have been difficult (for me). Ha, in my case the starter motor brushes were actually okay (my starting problem was actually a combination of the sprag cutch, some bad wire connections and the CPU - but at any rate I put new starter brushes in and that can only be good.

Credit to another poster on here or the web that told me this method. Okay it is tricky, you have to be in a relaxed mood and patient mood and expect a couple of tries. I followed these steps and got it on my second try - the first time I lost a grip on that fuse wire and the brushes sprung out so as not to fit in the starter motor casing. I was prepared for some frustration and had a break before trying my second successful time :D
Warwick - on a learning curve and on a
Ducati Paso - Soul of a thoroughbred :P
ducatipete
year: 1991

Post by ducatipete »

You can use starter motor off later models, think mine came off a 748, check if you still have the label with its part number.When removing LH engine cover make sure you remove all cap head bolts! use a light to ensure you do.I was advised to use DUCATI grey sealant in lieu of paper gasket, which I was told was not avaialable anymore..it worked!
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Im pretty sure that the starter was also used on a few jappers so a 2nd hand one might not be to hard to find ( check the parts compatibility post in the F A Q's ) , But if its is indeed the starter motor thats the problem it is more than likely the brushes. If you do remove the starter strip it down and give it a good clean out. Dust from the worn comutator and brushes accumulates inside , pays to check the seals o ring too as water getting in is not good :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time