Blown trans

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Ringworm

Blown trans

Post by Ringworm »

I'm new to this site and have a question concerning a 1990 Paso 750 with a "bad transmission". It's for sale for $2500. The rest of the bike looks beautiful. How much work/money is involved in a total rebuild? Might do work myself. Thanks in advance!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

depending on the rest of it`s condition I`d say that that`s not cheap. Check on ebay for which prices Pasos go.
The trans is a very expensive part if you need to change it completely. Some time ago Ducati was clearing their stock and had a list of parts they sold for much less.
I know it included also a transmission as I bought one ;)
This was last year, but you might ask some dealers anyway reminding them of this.
Also on ebay transmission parts are rather rare, so if you can`t get the part from somewhere you probably should overthink this offer.
(I can`t believe I`m saying this ...)

Gerhard
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You certainly need to find out, if possible, what is the nature of the transmission problem. If it's just dogs needing machining (not staying in gear) that can be fixed, possibly without too much expense (a few hundred bucks) if you can take the motor apart and put it back together yourself. On the other hand if something needs replacing, you could be waiting a long time to source a replacement part.
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

$2500 w/ a "bad tranny" is sort of a scary price, IMO. I'd want to know what "bad tranny" meant exactly; and if the owner can't give you a clear idea - like skins said, clutch dogs are one thing; but bent forks and toothless gears are something else - then low-ball the offer on account of it being a potentially pricey and drawn-out process of rehabilitating the bike.

How many miles on it, BTW? High miles might be one thing, but low miles + bad tranny = abuse to me ... in other words, what else is wrong, regardless of how it looks?
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

I would pass or try to buy it REAL cheap. I blew my trans up last fall and the estimate for repair was "at least" $1500 from 2 reputable dealers. The problem is that the trans and engine share the same crankcase and if the trans really did "blow up" then the metal from the trans can/will be thru the whole engine. That's where the "at least" comes from. To rebuild the trans the engine must be dissassembled and to not replace many of the engine wear parts when in there would be a total waste.

For me it was the bearing on the output shaft that let loose and just replacing that requires very major surgery. I was able to buy a used engine bottom end with similar miles on it and swap them out.
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

Hey Ringworm,

Which part of the world are you in mate? It really does make a difference to whether this is a good buy or not :eek:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Ringworm

Post by Ringworm »

Thanks for everyones replies and I think I will take a pass on that bike. I'm located in So. California so I'll look around this area for something in running condition.