Removal of clear coat on swing arm

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Harry
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Removal of clear coat on swing arm

Post by Harry »

Can some one please tell me the best way to remove the clear coat from my swing arm, at some stage in the past the Battery has over flowed and removed the clear coat in a few places and i am wanting to tidy it up and get it looking good. I have tried Septone Laquer remover but it does not have any effect what so ever on the coating . Thanks in advance.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Removal of clear coat on swing arm

Post by ducinthebay »

There should be no clear coat on your swing arm. It should be anodized and have a seal coat on it. Acid will eat through that and discolor it. To get it all back to one nice color, bring it to an aluminum anodizer who will dip the entire part in acid to take the old anodize off, and re-anodize it. Of course that means taking all of the bearings and steel out of it and cleaning it well. No simple task, or good way to deal with it.

One way to take anodize off of aluminum is to use oven cleaner. Really. it takes a bit, but does work. You can then polish it, or sand it as you see fit. A 3M ScotchBrite wheel makes a really nice finish. But be aware that aluminum oxidizes in less than a second, so its difficult to keep good looking. Clear coat will look bad in a year or two, unless you don't ride the bike much.

cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Harry
year: 1989

Post by Harry »

Thank you Phil i will try the Oven Cleaner and see how that works.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Hey Harry , I have a bit of fairing trim here for you ( somewhere ) , black thing that fits under the head light :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time