discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Should I sell?

Post by jcslocum »

I have used the Paso very little this season and don't expect to find more time. I'm struggling with just keeping her sitting in the barn. Should I look for a good home for the Paso?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Wow, I was surprised to see your name on this thread.

My impression is that your Paso already has a good home. What would you gain from selling her? A couple Gs? Granted, yes, that's always handy, but is the trade-off worth it? I mean, only you can answer the question, but I look at it this way: maybe you didn't ride the Paso much this season. Maybe it only gets 5% of your seasonal ride time from now on; but the loot you get in exchange for it now will probably be gone by Xmas. Maybe it goes towards another bike, or gear, or aftermarket 748 stuff. Or something non-bike related but equally important or pressing. But from now on, you're not going to have a Paso to ride, even if it is 5% of the time.

Speaking of myself, I'm not one to part with bikes I really like. My Yamahas and Kawisakis are long gone. Only under extreme duress (lose the house, need a kidney, blackmail) would I sell one of my Ducatis. I'll start selling guitars and trucks before I get to the bikes if I need money.

My opinion is keep it, and not because I have a Paso and I'm nuts about Ducati in general; but because my impression of you is that you have already tendered a great amount of care, and invested a great deal of time and attention into this bike. The trade-off doesn't seem like it would be worth it.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
hvv
year: 1989

Post by hvv »

I own my paso since 1993. I bought it second hand with less 3000 km on the clock. In the first years I used it a lot, for the fun of driving and while I was in University impressing every one around me who rode their worndown bicycles. When I started working, got married and got some children I used it less and less and was often having the thought of selling.

My wife told me to keep it because one day.....I didn't ride it for about 7 years and last year I bought a new battery and started it: it ran and sound was exciting. Now I am riding again and I am glad I listened to my wife for once.

I enjoy looking at it, riding it, reading about it, searching on the net, sitting on it with that big tank in front of you. I love the porblems and woo that sound....

Well I as you see I am hooked again and think you just should hold on to it because one day.....
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

NO, NO, NO!
as you have many bikes already you are a collector & a collector should never part with a collectable because it is not used enough

you would only regret it later

:toofar: :toofar:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Jon! Come to your senses man!

The Paso 750 is the one distinctive Ducati. All the bigger two-valvers feel roughly the same - great gulumphing gangly things. The 750s have the sweeter motor. And one of them, when it's motor has been properly attended to, has a bit of power too, and amazing light steering, and it's Comfortable (with a capital C)!

It is appreciated only by those who know. There's all the other Ducatis (worshipped, revered) and then there's the poor little 750 Paso. It stands appart from the rest. All but shunned.

Shame on you!

hvv: You got a good wife.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Thanks all for your thoughts.

It's not an economic decision at all. And I don't need more shiny bit for my 748! I could use more but don't need more. It's purely a use thing. It hurts to see it sitting there doing nothing. I get her out every 2 weeks for a quick 20 minute ride but that's just not enough use and I'm thinking that if I could find another loving owner she could give that someone the same joy we all get from our bikes.

Sitting around is also bad for motorcycles. It would really be a shame to let this nicely running Paso waste away to a non-running status.
Mark
year: 0

Post by Mark »

Hi Jon,

Just to put things into perspective - a 20 minute ride every two weeks sounds fantastic.

I ride my Bimota DB1SR about 4 to 5 times a year for about one hour at a time and my 750 Paso hasn't been used for about two years. Despite the lack of use I have no intention of selling it and have just bought a Corbin seat and an Odyssey PC535 battery for it while I was in the US last month. Brembo P4s and adapters, 996 brake and clutch master cylinders, Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines, 36mm Mallossi/Dellorto carbs, Honda Odyssey fuel pressure regulator and a set of relays are awaiting installation. In addition, when I find some time I'll have the fuel tank cleaned out and professionally sealed. I'd also like to get my hands on 851 Tricolore Marvics and brake disks - drool.................

In summary, even though I don't have the time to use the Paso today, in a few years I'm sure that I will and at that time the Paso will be even more special than it is already today.

All the best,

Mark