Just bought a 1992 907ie... now it won't start

discussions specific to the 907IE
907ie

Just bought a 1992 907ie... now it won't start

Post by 907ie »

Hey guys, I just bought my first bike, the 907 and got my permit, but now it won't start.
I just bought it from ebay and the guy brought it and the first time it wouldn't start but the second time it started no problem and he rode it around the block. The next day I tried to start and it wouldn't turn over. It makes a sound like it is trying to at first, but after trying a few times it just clicks.

I put in a new battery and the sound was a little faster, but then slowed down when I tried again, and again, and now it makes no sound, not even a click...

I don't know anything about bikes, the fuel pump only turns on for 3 seconds or so and then turns off, until today, it won't turn on, even when I turn the kill switch on and off.

And I have tried starting with choke on and off.

I downloaded all the books so I can work on it, but I have no experience and I'm not sure where to start, any ideas?

Thanks.
907ie

Re: Just bought a 1992 907ie... now it won't start

Post by 907ie »

Oh, and the check oil light is always on, but the oil shows that it is between the 2 maxes when the bike is standing up (I guess that is how I check? Because when the bike is on the side stand you can't see any oil.
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

If the oil light is on when it was running you probably have big problems. Unless the pressure switch is stuck or faulty you have an oil delivery/pressure problem or a dying engine(ends or main bearings maybe).

They do struggle to turn over even with a fully charged battery. The fuel pump primes for about 3-7 seconds when you switch on so that was ok. If its not priming now the bike won't start. First check fuses then relays.
Are the lights/horn etc working if not check the main fuse under the left seat rail. There's a block of fuses behind the battery and some on the relays LHS next to headlamp. If you've had the tank off its worth checking the wires to the fuel pump are making good connection, I've had trouble with these.

Sorry but it does sound like you've been sold a bit of a dog :oops: , can you tell us any history that you know, milage, was it standing a long time etc. I hope you got it cheap. Where are you? Can you post a link to the ebay advert please.

You've come to the right place for help, there's a lot of friendly, clever people here. Welcome and good luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers, Keith.
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Sounds like the battery is now totally flat. You will have to have to recharge it before trying again.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by ducbertus »

So the 907 did run in your presence. that's good.
by now the battery is flat -> recharge, if applicable check acid level in battery, and add demi water if necessary.
first check the oil level as an other member said.
if the oil pressure switch is ok and the oil light goes out during starting, that's fine.
reading to what you wrote, I think there's is somewhere a bad connection.
if you have an Voltmeter first check the voltage on the battery than on the startrelay input side, than on the output side. if you measure high voltage drops you've found a bad connection.
in my case there was a lot of water and corrosion in the rubber booth over the starter relais.
also check the leads from the engine (RHS) to the ground of the frame and this point to the battery minus.
in the original looms some times a lot of strands are broken over time, reducing the effectiveness of the lead.
Yes, large twins are sensetive for imperfections in the starter circuit.

Bertus
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Also check the position of the kill switch next to the throttle. That will certainly create some consternation. Also, make sure your battery leads are tight and clean. If you haven't already, buy a battery tender and keep the battery fully charged all the time. Makes a big difference.

I had purchased a bike across town and it took us hours to get home, as it died every 1/2 mile. Found the battery terminals were loose. Ran great after that.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
907ie

Post by 907ie »

Thanks a lot for your guys' help.

I cleaned the starter connections up and sprayed the with wd-40 and then I went to Autozone and bought a tool to take off the spark plugs and found out they are burnt, so I put my spare set on there. I gave them the battery I just bought new to charge and I came back after 1 hour and they said it is only 39% still so I'll pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully that and the spark plugs were the only issue, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Assuming it does work, is this bike reliable? I plan on having just one bike only and no car for work so I need something that I won't have to fix all the time if I take care of it. It has 31k miles on it. I'm wondering if I should trade it to someone for a newer Japanese bike or not. I would prefer this if it is reliable.
-Also, is the battery tender necessary? I live in an apartment and don't like the idea of taking my battery off every time i need to go put it on the tender, or I could get a solar powered one, but is that worth it, being the same price as a new battery?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCATI-9 ... v4exp=true

This is where I bought it from. The guy is nice, he delivered it himself and got me a new tire and stuff when he came down, he is sending some more things like the other front mirror and spare gas tank too. He is a mechanic and says the bike has always been good, he just overcharged the battery. He also said it was never dropped, the exhaust and some of the parts came off his '91 907.
-The exhuast on the right is pretty shitty, with a Staintune can you put it int he freezer with water inside to pop it out, or would it be better for me to just wrap it up with that black exhaust tape?
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Buy a battery charger from those nice folks that sold you the battery. all motorcycles need to be charged if you don't ride them regularly.
Clean off the WD 40 from your connections. Its a great solvent, but it is not a dielectric. Either use a dielectric grease (silicone) or keep connections dry.

Your spark plugs should have a nice milk chocolate color to them if the mixture is correct.

This bike will be very reliable if you take good care of it. But you must realize that you did not buy a Toyota Corolla. It will need more love and attention, but will reward you for the attention. that is why we frequently refer to our bikes as a mistress. She doesn't like to be ignored.

But I must say, you are a bold man to rely on just a motorcycle for transportation.
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Hi there, I hope the inside of the tank that`s on the bike doesn`t look like the one on the pictures. If the bike sat for over a year another reason for bad starting can be old petrol. In that case drain the old one and fill up with fresh gas.
A further reason for worse starting than normal can be that high compression kit.

It says it`s got new belts. In what year was that ? They need to be changed at a certain milage or age.

G.

PS: I`m also wondering about the HD 32A reg/rect. Does anyone know how many the original can handle ? On my aftermarket it says 47A, that`s quite a difference.
Rogero
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

If there is an alarm fitted this will drain the battery. And you will need to either use the bike virtually every day or use a charger like an Optimate.

If no alarm then regular use of the bike should be okay provided it gets a good run. Starting and short trips don't help battery life and Italian electrics are renowned for their unreliabilty.

Try and keep it parked out of the elements - mine hates getting cold and like a small boy would prefer not getting wet too often.

Good luck.

Rogero
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by ducbertus »

that tank needs cleaning inside. this is not driveble. The strainer on the pump inlet must be clogged.
sooner or later this will stop the bike.
normally the rectifier is 37 Amp.
beside immoblizing the alarm, disconnect the clock as it drains the battery fairly quickly.
in my case it was draint within a few days, although other member don't face this problem.
it's the orange one going into your dash.
907ie

Post by 907ie »

I got it running :)
I cleaned the starter, put in the new battery and the new spark plugs.

It took about 3 seconds cranking to start thought.. I guess that's not good? But the choke was on and when I turned it off it shot up to 3000 rpm in neutral and stayed around there and sounded cool.
I noticed a little bit of smoke coming form the bottom near the exhaust or oil or something, and smelled gas or something burning, but not too bad. I really know nothing about cars/bikes, I just got my license 1 month ago because I wasn't in America haha.

Dang I have too many questions. There is the oil level on the right side in that little round glass, but what is on the left? Is that the clutch fluid? I don't see any fluid at all on left side.
Is there a certain way to put in spark plugs or just screw tight? I read something about having an electrode gap or something.

I ordered the battery tender junior and some jumpers, i guess I will use that every day I don't drive long, just a hassle since I'm living in an apartment.
I will contact the guy about when he changed timing belts and oil, anything else I should check? I have all my safety gear, and going to take the California class soon so I don't have to take the driving test.

-The tank filled with rust is not the one installed, he is going to clean that out and send it to me, I don't see rust in the one installed, just a ding in the right side.
-I'm keeping my fairings off, should I put them back on? I don't want to drop it when I'm practicing and mess them up when I first start.

Thanks guys
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Along with your motorcycle training course, I recommend a motorcycle maintenance course.

Some towns have a shared motorcycle maintenance place where you can work on your bike and get some assistance from some resident experts.
http://blog.makezine.com/page-2/diy-mot ... intenance/
Search for one in your area.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I really know nothing about cars/bikes, I just got my license 1 month ago because I wasn't in America haha.
So now you`ll have to learn. If you know that tightening a bolt means turning it clockwise (at least in most cases) you`re already a big step forward :lol:
Dang I have too many questions.
That`s why this forum exists.
There is the oil level on the right side in that little round glass, but what is on the left? Is that the clutch fluid? I don't see any fluid at all on left side.
That`s a good thing ;) as that on the left is a view glass so you can check the timing marks on your flywheel. The clutch fluid which is brake fluid is only in the clutch pump and in the line to the clutch piston. (so it`s only a few ml)
Is there a certain way to put in spark plugs or just screw tight? I read something about having an electrode gap or something.
If you have a torque wrench, which I doubt, it`s 20-29NM to tighten the spark plugs. If you don`t you can do that by hand using a spark plug tool. That`s better than a ratchet as after tight comes loose and specially if you`re not used to use a ratchet you may overtighten.
This is the electrode gap:
I will contact the guy about when he changed timing belts and oil, anything else I should check?
Basically everything that`s listed in the workshop manual`s maintainance overview, like checking valve clearance and very basic things like greasing the chain etc.

Did that idle get lower when the engine warmed up or is it stuck at 3.000 rpm ?
That dented exhaust should be replaced btw if you can`t find anyone to pull out the dent.

G.
907ie

Post by 907ie »

I just rode the bike for the first time this morning. I'm not completely sure about using the clutch and everything, I just learned to drive a car about a month ago, but I had a manual transmission. Before I slow down for a stop should I hold the clutch in and brake and keep the clutch held in, while I wait? My left hand got tired fast. I drove around at 6 so there weren't many cars. (I did drive a 100cc moped in thailand for 1 month so i never dropped the bike haha)
-There is a barnett clutch and I'm also not sure what to do going downhill, should the clutch and brakes be on or just brakes? When I put it into first, it shoots off pretty fast it feels like with a tiny bit of throttle. If I give it less I'm afraid the engine will stall, because the sound goes off for a minute until I add a little bit more throttle. so going downhill I feel like it will go too fast.
-When I am going very slow and press in the brake the font dips down, is that normal? If I just press lightly than it will not, especially when I'm going faster.

I only rode for about 30 min. I unhooked the battery when I got off, will that save the charge? I am waiting for a couple days until my battery tender arrives.

Actually, when the engine warmed up it stayed at 4000 and almost sounds like it is racing when I have the clutch in and no throttle. I have to hold the brakes in or it will keep going, like on my old car going in reverse. Is this bad? Also I never had the choke on once, even starting.
-(edit: I just read online that it is a fast-idle not a choke because it is fuel injected, so should i pull it towards me so it is not high idle and keep it there and it will be lower rpm? Or should it be lower rpm when it is pushed towards the front of the bike?)

Also, the check gasoline light came on and the oil light kept going on and off, but the oil was just changed the guy said, and it looks like it is full, and you can see gasoline where the wires are in the fuel tank. The gauge keeps going up and down as I drive, like when I slow down the needle goes down and stuff. Is this a big issue or can I just check inside to see gas level?
-Why is the dent in the side bad? What will that affect? I can change it in a few days when the other tank arrives.