Wanted European Rear turn/brake lights

Paso items for sale or wanted
Group members may list non-paso classified ads
SteveB

Wanted European Rear turn/brake lights

Post by SteveB »

Does anyone know if the European rear turn / brake lights are available anywhere as NOS ? If not does anyone have these used?
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

They're few & far between my friend. Best bet is keep an eye on ebay - Bookmark this global search for future reference. Otherwise, it's going to take a bit of research and asking the same question of a lot of European shops, I'm sure.

I lucked out and found my lens on ebay, and had to fashion the internals, but considering the prices I've seen the whole unit go for ($200+USD), this was the cheaper way to go.

Good luck!
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Yes, they are hard to come by. I ended up doing my own custom install in the existing red lens. I've grown used to it and can appreciate its uniqueness.

Regards, B
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

B,

I thought about doing a conversion with the red lens as you did. Did you re-wire the brake lights to serve as brake / turn signals, or did you add turn signal lights to the plastic pieces separating the brake light from the "turn signal" lenses on the side, or both ?

Steve
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Hi, Steve

What I did was remove the original stalks and pulled the wires out of them and routed them back to the tailight and through the opening where the existing tailight wires pass through. I made a trip to Canadian Tire where they have an excellent selection of electrical goodies on racks that I could look at and find the best light socket for my application. I chose one that would take the existing bulbs from the stalks and had two mounting holes on opposite sides of the bulb. I soldered connectors to this new socket arrangement in order to receive the existing wire connectors. I connected the wires to the new socket, routed the wires through the little provided opening in the divider panels and screwed the socket to the existing mount that is there. One screw seems to hold just fine. I'm sorry if this sounds a little long-winded, but if there is anything you would like clarification on, let me know. I made a little sketch of what I did at the time and would gladly email it to you if you like.

Regards, B
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Sounds similar to what I did - the only modification I made to the bike was to enlarge a hole on either side of the backing plate to the light assembly in order to pass the wires & their bullet connectors through, and made to holes in each of the black plastic divider plates on the inside of the lens by which to mount the aftermarket 'flush mount' turnsignals. So basically, with no real alterations to the bike, I can return it to stock (or should I say "stalk"?) in about 5 minutes.

I was considering doing a little re-wire to make each brake light blink as well, but haven't gone that far yet. All told, I think I picked up the lens for $45 of ebay, $19.95 for the aftermarkets and $.59 for a clutch of female bullet connectors to wire to the aftermarkets to match the bike's wire harness.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I imagine I'm for the only non-North American on our site to be a little amused, somewhat intrigued, and quite sympathetic with you guys about the problem you have with these 'stalk' tail lights. Does this affliction apply to any other bikes?

B, I'm also intrigued by your highly aesthetic avatar. It looks a bit like classy art lego.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Thanks, Skins

It intrigued me one day while poking around looking for all things Ducati. There are several similar pictures at http://www.bluming.com/ducatidesmo.htm.

I don't think it applies so much to other bikes as they were designed with stalk lights. I think Ducati slipped these monsters on to satisfy DOT guidelines.

Regards, B
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Skins,

Yes other North American bikes are aflicted with these ugly stalk lights. My 99 monster has almost as ugly signals, but for the monster there are places to buy clear lenses with LED turn / brake lights or other solutions. I was looking at the 907 and thought about using the twin brake lights as turn/brake lights, but thought just buying the european lights was quicker. I will probably re wire the brake lights and add turn signals to my stock set up. When I bought the 907 a few years ago, I didn't really like the styling of the bike, but for the price was a great fun, unique motorcycle. I am beginning to realy like the styling, but hate the turn signals. I know it is probably a silly small stying issue, but I look at the stalkless bikes with envy.

Steve
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by fasterdammit »

Yeah, they're goofy looking, alright. Leave it to the States to muck up that fine Italian profile. It's funny, on most sport bikes that's one of the first things to go under the knife - the tail section. License plate relocator, integrated turn signals, etc. But on the Pasos destined for the States, it's almost a requirement to un-do the federal requirement.

I didn't like them, but didn't think about them much (since they're behind and beneath me when I ride) - until my wife followed me home from the shop one night and commented, giggling, once we got home: "you know those goofy turn signal things waggle when you're riding?" :umm: :toofar: That was the last straw. Or stalk. :P hahaha
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
pete

found in europe

Post by pete »

Found european rear lamp cluster at Imola swap meet. New. Seller is a ducati parts dealer- truly has a bit of everything. Got meself a pair of new and original cans for paso 750 '87. expensive 370 euros but worth as italian police are cracking down on bikes with non-originals.

Seller, MTM Racing Via Mons.RArena 1, 36073 CORNEDO VICENTINO (VI) Italy, tel fax oo39 0445 951129 also had open cans aswell as cans for 906. european and US spec.
Stingray230SX
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

soon after i bought my 907 in 2004 i began the quest of finding a euro tailight lens and was able to order one from a seattle ducati dealer(sorry,my home pc died last saturday evening and this computer is a backup i had in the garage,older and slower)lucky i remembered this site and a few others at all......so cant remember the name of the dealer.

the parts guy at this dealership was a Jon something,sorry thats all i remember,but he was able to get me a new in the box euro lens(i still have it as i was never able to find quite the right aftermarket assemblies to fit the turn signal lights inside the whole assembly)

now i have read on here that i can take the bulb holder/reflectors from the stalk turn signals and they will fit inside the rear assembly,havent tried it yet but before riding season gets started i will definately check into this(just moved in november and once garage is cleaned out will be able to move 907 from mom and dads garage to mine and get it all ready for spring.

the part number on the box of my euro lens is 037032380 description is "cup" and it did come from ducati seattle llc.

heres a link to a pic of mine(its still in the box right now,im hoping to at least get it on as the weather turns good enough to ride regularly):
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... _photo.php

hope that helps

doug hunt
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Rlbol
year: 0

Post by Rlbol »

I just put one on Ebay if someone still needs one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMESE%3AIT
Stingray230SX
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

why are u selling? is the bike gone? hope not!!

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Rlbol
year: 0

Post by Rlbol »

no, have just been cleaning out the shop. and getting rid of someextra parts. Now I am thinking about selling 888 if any one is interested