Being nasty to my 750 Sport

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
bmw851
model: other
year: 1988

Re: Being nasty to my 750 Sport

Post by bmw851 »

Andrew2 wrote:Looking nice mate.I might just come to the Creek when you do your track day for a look at the old girl.

Cheers
Andrew

Your more than welcome Andrew, will let you know when going out again, bring the 900SS, should be mid March at this stage, usually in garage's 32 to 37 or somewhere around those one's, can't miss me, bald, grey beard, overweight and well past middle age :smoke:

Hang on that describes about 1/2 the people doing track days :lol:

Finally got the wheels back, tyres look suspiciously like grooved slicks, so now all the fidderly bits start, like getting them to actually fit, Dave Ward at Moto Italia is being extremely helpful which is great, just have to get a rear brake caliper carrier off a monster or mid 90's SS and the back is done, chain lines up perfectly, so about a week or so I hope, Moto Italia will be machining up the various bits to get the front to fit.

Went with Phil's advice and got a 120/70 for the front.

Where is yours up to, or is that a verboten subject at the moment?

Cheers

Peter
Attachments
New Wheels & Tyres.jpg
(163.67 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
So It Begins.jpg
(137.28 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
So long, and thanks for all the fish...............

https://www.facebook.com/PDBCustomGuitars
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Probly need an SS caliper too .... the hole spacings are different by 3-4mm ( I just eyeballed mine ) the SS calipers holes being closer together. I can do a proper measure up ( with pix ) if you want :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

I forgot to tell you, but you now know, or just got lucky. The sprocket carrier that comes with the 4.5" wheel aligns the sprocket perfectly for the Sport. The sprocket carrier for the 5.5" wheel puts the chain a bit more outboard.

You are going to love those new wheels, and brakes. Its going to be a new bike. So much more forgiving, and easy to ride. You are now free to change your line in the middle of the corner if you need.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Where is yours up to, or is that a verboten subject at the moment?

Cheers

Peter
Hopefully getting the frame powder coated in the next couple of months then put it all back together.It was always going to be a long term project due to finances.It has'nt been shelved though just slow going :lol:

Cheers
Andrew
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

ducinthebay wrote:I forgot to tell you, but you now know, or just got lucky. The sprocket carrier that comes with the 4.5" wheel aligns the sprocket perfectly for the Sport. The sprocket carrier for the 5.5" wheel puts the chain a bit more outboard. Cheers, Phil
Did read about it in your post about the conversion before I started, and it didn't sink in, so this lining up was pure arse, and if hadn't bought the Monster axle with all the sleeves and spacers on it when I got the wheel, well, they'd be be some very fruity laguange being used in my shed indeed
Mc tool wrote:Probly need an SS caliper too .... the hole spacings are different by 3-4mm ( I just eyeballed mine ) the SS calipers holes being closer together. I can do a proper measure up ( with pix ) if you want :)
Bugger, always knew the carrier wouldn't fit, but didn't want to get the SS or whatever, til I could actually see what the gap would be (17mm), then thought I'd get away with reusing the original caliper :,(

I've obviously got mine off a the moment, so will take it down to the wreckers with me to compare, thanks for the offer though :thumbup: .

Cheers

Peter

ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I think all of those more modern rear brake calipers have the same bolt pattern and fit the same rotor. One of the fiddly bits to work out is the brake lines. You did get an upgraded master cylinder for the front also?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

G'Day Phil,

Grabbed a Nissin Master Cyclinder off a Honda 1100 Blackbird (the purist will be up in arms) when I was picking up the wheels the other week, it's already bled and fitted.

So off to the wreckers yet again tomorrow for the carrier, it's the only advantage of working as a casual, can do most of this stuff during a normal working week.

Cheers

Peter

Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hey Peter
be carefull, my sport went from a road bike rebuild to a trackday bike to now it's a fully fledged Classic race bike!! once you start it's contagious! But hell good fun :cool:

Cheers
Clive
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Nice Scoot. What pipes are those. They look just like what I'm looking to put on my 2nd bike.
Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

That looks great.Do you have any more photos Clive.

Cheers
Andtre
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Mustang505 wrote:Hey Peter
be carefull, my sport went from a road bike rebuild to a trackday bike to now it's a fully fledged Classic race bike!! once you start it's contagious! But hell good fun :cool:
In the wonderful vocabulary of somebody from downtown Lakemba "that's fully sick mate" :beer:

Love the picture, post more if you've got em.

Onya

Peter

Mustang505

Post by Mustang505 »

Hi Phil
pipe was made by a local guy for me. he turned the standard headers into a 2-1 and then made the megaphone bit based on F1/TT1 pics from me. sounds really cool at the track.

Cheers
Clive
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

I like the way you guys think. If bikes like these don't get your blood flowing, you don't understand the basic character of a Ducati. Both have found the true spirit of the Nuovo Sport. Like a good rock and roll number played by a three man band. Stripped down to the gutty essentials.
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
bmw851

Post by bmw851 »

Clive, that looks fantastic, is there a reason for long intake tubes? just curious.

I'll be going back to velocity stacks with rock catchers for my next time out, and turning the main mixture screw back in 1 1/2 turns, (it's 3 out and I actually have to physically take the Keihin's off to get to them, so don't like adjusting very often) and have it running very rich at the moment to stop the popping and farting for road use, (the bike not me, well....................... :shock: ) it's lost way to much power for track use, could feel it between the corners if that makes sense.

And am still on the hunt for a solo seat off a don't care what, so the unobtainimiun seat unit can go into storage along the guard/electrics holder unit as well, must find something to hold them though.

It's all about having some serious fun, playing silly buggers and not getting booked :choo:

Thanks for sharing the pictures (yes I resisted the temptation to change the spelling, bloody Skippy's)

Cheers

Peter

Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

Hey Pete,
check your PM's will ya :lol: