Front Sprocket

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

BikerBard
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Front Sprocket

Post by BikerBard »

Has any body tried putting a Fast by Ferracci front sprocket on? I just tried and it mounts flush with the countershaft. There is no way I could get the locking plate on. Did they send me the wrong one? Or is there an adapter plate that I need?
Donna G

'12 Moto Guzzi V7Racer
'04 Vstar 1100
'88 Paso 750 (blue)
'74 BWW R90/6
'71 BSA
'62 Triumph T100C
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Are You sure, that they give Paso sprocket to You ???

Is offset same ???

Finnpaso
BikerBard

Post by BikerBard »

Finn,

I called them and they said to just turn it around. I can't get the stupid thing off w/out a puller, but even so....the sprocket is still the same length. I'm pretty sure the shoulder will still cover the groove that the locking plate goes into.

:roll:
Donna G

'12 Moto Guzzi V7Racer
'04 Vstar 1100
'88 Paso 750 (blue)
'74 BWW R90/6
'71 BSA
'62 Triumph T100C
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:cool:

You must be able to get it off without a puller, Bard. It must need a little jiggling, maybe a little lube, and a little (gentle) force PARALLEL to the splines.
Theo

Front Sprocket

Post by Theo »

I ordered a front sprocket from BCM. They by accident sent the wrong one . They then had to special order new one, took about 2 weeks. The guys there are great!

Good luck
Theo
BikerBard

Post by BikerBard »

Got the sprocket off and turned it around. Of course it's the same size and still sits flush to the end of the countershaft. There is no way to hold it on.

I did notice a threaded hole in the end of the shaft. Could that be for a different type of lock washer or something?
Donna G

'12 Moto Guzzi V7Racer
'04 Vstar 1100
'88 Paso 750 (blue)
'74 BWW R90/6
'71 BSA
'62 Triumph T100C
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

No, the threaded hole would be part of the shaft-making process. Are you sure you're puting the sprocket all the way on, past the gap in the splines where the locking plate sits? If it won't go on that far, it must be the wrong sprocket - same as with Theo.

What did you think about some barding for the 'Apex' forum, by the way?
BikerBard

Post by BikerBard »

Thanks for the info skins. I'm sick and tired of working on this thing tonight so I'm gonna walk away from it for awhile. HOPEfully I can get the right sprocket. Is it best to buy the sprockets and chain as a set?

As far as writing for the apex....probably should wait till I'm in a better frame of mind with this bike. Nobody would want to hear what I have to say about it right now! :cool:
Donna G

'12 Moto Guzzi V7Racer
'04 Vstar 1100
'88 Paso 750 (blue)
'74 BWW R90/6
'71 BSA
'62 Triumph T100C
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yes, it would be best to replace sprockets and chain together, unless the one you're not replacing happens to be in good condition, because a worn sprocket will quickly cause wear on a good chain, and vice versa.

It can take time to make a Paso good, Bard - even when they came out of the factory they could be made better - but when you get one right, they're a wonderful bike, with a touch of complexity to make them interesting. Their weight helps make them comfortable, yet they feel like a small bike with very light steering, and their 750 motor, which is torquey yet revvy, makes good hp, and can be made to be incredibly smooth. With a bit of effort, one can get results which would be hard to achieve with most other bikes.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

BikerBard wrote:Got the sprocket off and turned it around. Of course it's the same size and still sits flush to the end of the countershaft. There is no way to hold it on.
Here's a stupid question....Have you put the old and new side by side to see if there is a visual difference? Lay them down next to each other and eye them up. Place a ruler across them to detec any slight difference in thickness. If the are not the same then get the right one. Don't even think about trying to make it fit. A chain failure is a bad, bad thing.

You shouldn't need a puller to remove it either. Check the output shaft for any signs of damage and clean it up with a file if you find any boogered up splines.

Call BCM http://www.bcmducati.com and ask them for the proper part number JUST to make sure you have the right one. If you don't, order it from BCM and toss/return the other one from FBF.

Good luck!
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Good idea, Jon. Obvious, but good. And these bcmducati people do sound good. I'm sure the Bard would get good advice there.

I do like your flag. I'm sure the Captain would have approved most heartily!
BikerBard

Post by BikerBard »

Jon, and Skins...

thanks for the info. I'll check out BCM next time I'm in need of a fix. I've hopefully gotten things straightened out with the orders and will find out when they get here this coming week.
Donna G

'12 Moto Guzzi V7Racer
'04 Vstar 1100
'88 Paso 750 (blue)
'74 BWW R90/6
'71 BSA
'62 Triumph T100C
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Skins wrote::
And these bcmducati people do sound good. I'm sure the Bard would get good advice there.

I do like your flag. I'm sure the Captain would have approved most heartily!
See the news of Bruce Meyers (BCM) being inducted to the Ducati Hall of Fame: http://www.desmoducati.org/News.htm
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

:thumbup:

Excellent! Thanks, Jon.