What motors will bolt in my '88 Paso???

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jay

What motors will bolt in my '88 Paso???

Post by jay »

i was looking to buy a '95 monster 900 for my '88 paso. it looks like (from pics) all motor mounts are the same, which would make for an easier install. just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure. don't get me wrong... i love my paso, but it lacks in power. thanks for any info/advice.
cagiva905
year: 0

Post by cagiva905 »

Jay,

The frame of the Paso looks very similar to the ones used on the Cagiva Elefants. The engines on these have the stubs that contain the swingarm bearings on Ducati's (which have the swingarm directly on the engine, not in the frame) milled off. That is more or less the main difference.

Check the finishing on the Paso engine, it should not be too hard to fit a Monster or SS engine in. Off course carburettors etc. have to be modified as well.

Michiel
jay

Post by jay »

Thanks for the info. I'm going ahead with a monster 900 engine. Even might try fuel injection.........
Paul
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Paul »

Jay,

I might be wrong but lceriani has a Paso with a Monster engine in it. I am sure he will respond to a Personal Message, or you can look through some of his postings. His name is Luca.

Paul
lceriani
year: 1988

Post by lceriani »

It's true, I HAVE a M900 running on my Paso. I already talked a lot about it, so you can read my previous posts.
But I have a surprise that I only anticipated to Gerhard... I BOUGHT A NEW M900 engine to replace the actual unit, that is not more reliable! The new engine seems very good: big valves version, only 21.000 Km (real!!!!), one only owner, always serviced by Ducati (even 20.000Km service), very good conditions... so expect a detailed report (with photos!) on "hot to fit a M900 engine on a Paso"!
:thumbup:

LC
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Luca,

one question. I thought they are very strict in Italy when changing engines. I know a friend who was with other riders in Italy (all on Cagiva Elephants) and as they were stopped by the police, these also hcecked frame and engine number. They noticed that one bike had a different engine so this guy had to call home and have proofs sent that he changed the engine and that it was his. Seems police checks if you have stolen parts in your bike.

Gerhard
lceriani
year: 1988

Post by lceriani »

You are right, in Italy it is forbidden to mount an engine with a different serial number: you should update your vehicle's circulation documents, but that's *very* long and difficult.
Practically that means that is forbidden to change engine, even if the original one is out of order!

I'm aware I am "out of law", but I rely on two factors:
- on the Paso it's quite difficult to access the engine serial number
- I have a declaration signed by the previous owner that describes the origin of the engine and that it was sold to me

I hope this is enough....

LC