Noisy Paso (help, got 30 days to fix this problem)

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Fry

Noisy Paso (help, got 30 days to fix this problem)

Post by Fry »

Hi, last weekend I bought a 1988 Paso from a friend of mine and have been riding around on it all week... WOW what a machine.

Today it had to go for its M.O.T test and failed because the exhuast made a little to much noise (10db over). The M.O.T man said that he could see that the exhuast had been modified from 2 single pipes to 2 into 1 pipe.

What can I do with regard to a quick cheap solution to fix this problem, do I need to buy a new exhuast system with 2 single pipes which I quess will cost me a fortune or is there something I can do to supress the 2 in 1 pipe I have now.

Is a 2 single pipe solution quieter ???

I live in Denmark where everything is expensive. If anyone has any ideas as to where I can get maybe get a cheap new or used exhuast system outside Denmark if thats what I need please let me know.

Many thanks
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

The original pipes were called "Silentiums" if that's any indication. ;) The original configuration is essentially 2-into-2: two exhaust cans fed by X crossover, underneath the engine. But it's not so much about the name of the pipe(s) or their configuration - noise control comes down to baffles inside the cans themselves - and it sounds like your single can might be pretty free-breathing (and therefore, pretty loud). More baffle = quieter bike, possibly less performance (and happier neighbors?). Less baffle = freer-breathing, definitely louder, and generally the opportunity for better performance.

Know anybody else with a Paso that would lend you their pipes to get by the MOT? Otherwise, I do see cans on ebay once in a while, but if you're in a bit of a time crisis ... well, if you can find out which manufacturer made the particular can your bike is wearing, maybe you can get a more substantial baffle from them? Either that, or find a 're-pack' kit, and stuff up the internals of the can itself some more ...
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
ansim
year: 1987

Post by ansim »

Hello Fry,

You can put in something like this to make it little quiter:

http://www.desmorados.com/shop/catalog/ ... cts_id=895

It is a shop in Germany, so it pretty simple to order one.
Make sure it fits your exhaust.

//Anders
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

If the omologation number is not a problem, you can bild a db-killer for your exaust.
Just solder a washer at the end of the pipe, inside the joint with the silencer, in order to reduce the width of the pipe and the gas flowing... After the sound ceck remember to take it away!
Have a nice ride, Nicola
pompone
year: 0

Post by pompone »

Hi Fry, how are you? I had a problem with my loud pipes when I went to ITV (in Spain your M.O.T is our ITV). I machined a pair of aluminium caps with a smaller hole than before, to obstruct the smoke exit partialy. Then I made a little drill hole in the lower part of the exhaust and screw on a little screw to hold in place the caps. This caps restrict the exhaust hole and decrease the noise. When I obtained my ITV document I removed the caps and put them away in the depth of my tool box till next year (when I'll need a new ITV document). :neener:
70 hp. can change the world