First ride

Chat about anything not Paso related here
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

First ride

Post by fasterdammit »

I've taken several people on their first ever motorcycle ride, and I love introducing it to people. Everybody's always anxious, nervous ... they usually lean the wrong way, no matter how well you've described what to expect ... it happens. But then they get it ... eventually, hopefully.

A couple years ago, I had the opportunity to give my two cousins their first rides in the same day. The oldest of three sisters went first. She was maybe 21 at this point. She leaned the wrong way. She hung on for dear life. She pinched my side or slapped my stomach when we hit 40mph. But after about 7 or 8 miles, she was into it. By the time we got back, she was enjoying herself. I was riding sedately. Later that day, I took the middle sister out for her first ride - she was maybe 19. We hadn't gone a mile before she was yelling to go faster. After a little highway stint, she was yelling for curves. Fast curves. After some on- and off-ramps, I headed for a pair of big roundabouts. I usually tear through these - traffic permitting - about 75-80mph. We took the first one around 45mph, and the second one about 55mph ... and halfway through the turn I realized she was leaning further to the inside than I was. She's a natural speed demon.

But I had the best first ride experience ever yesterday. I took my oldest child - 10 years old - for her first honest-to-goodness motorcycle ride. Not just sitting on the tank & riding up the driveway, but a geared up, lengthy ride about the city. We actually took three rides; the first to make sure she was ok. As soon as I pulled back up the house, where my wife and son were waiting to see how she did, the first words out her mouth were "why are we stopping?!"

Before we pulled out of the driveway the first time, my wife said she looked scared, teary-eyed ... but didn't want to disappoint me, or herself. That lasted about three blocks, apparently. She didn't even get off the bike and we took off again, further this time, around the neighborhood. Actually saw one of her school friends, and came back home. She was definitely excited by this point. She related it all to the rest of the family ... and then asked to go back out, longer this time. So we took a third ride; out around the city, some of the nearby suburbs, downtown, up new streets (to her) and down familiar streets as well. Turns out she loves passing cars. She was yelling "faster!" to me before the end as well.

She asked to take a ride three more times before bedtime. She wanted to be taken to school on it, this morning. Picked up from school on it. Taken to soccer practice on it. Picked up and taken for a ride after soccer. I think I've created a monster.

She & I are going to the MotoGP races at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this August; I've gone for the past several years now, but just with a friend (and fellow rider). This year we're both taking our oldest kids. She's ecstatic. Since my friend & I both have Ducatis, we'll be able to park in the Ducati Island hospitality area, inside the infield of the race track. We're also getting track lap passes - and she's really thrilled for that.

This was a great day, in being a Dad. A great moment. Probably not a great 'gift' for my wife - on Mother's Day, no less! - but she is just as proud of her, too. But for me, it was truly one of those little, intangible gifts that life sometimes bestows upon you. I wouldn't have thought it would hit me this way, if you had asked me beforehand ... and it wasn't until we were out there on the road, that I realized exactly how cool and great and epic it was.

Last night, after all the rides, dinner, homework, typical kid stuff, it was right before bed and I caught a glimpse of her, standing there, reading something. She looked different. Slightly older, or something. Like something had been released. Activated. Catalyzed.

"Hey," I said. "You look ... different, somehow."

"I know!" She responded. "I look cooler, right?"
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: First ride

Post by Tamburinifan »

Beautiful story! :thumbup: :)
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

:D Yeah , pass the tissues :lol: funny innit tho ,just how many people are instantly converted to motorcycling after the 1st ride :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
lane1feathers
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by lane1feathers »

Nice story. I have successfully converted two of my three children. My son, the eldest has gone as far as to get a moped and now instead of a car he wants a bike! My daughter, the middle child asks to be taken everywhere on the bike instead of the car and like yours wants to go faster...faster!

...just the youngest to go and I'll have a trifecta :mrgreen:
Lane
89 Dark Blue 906 Paso
Ducati Paso, It's an 'understanding'....
plasmid
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by plasmid »

fasterdammit wrote:Activated. Catalyzed.

"Hey," I said. "You look ... different, somehow."

"I know!" She responded. "I look cooler, right?"

And she's def. making you cooler too.