regulator / rectifier 34368001

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
redchubeka
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

regulator / rectifier 34368001

Post by redchubeka »

anyone has tested this "enhanced version" of the original ducati energia 348637 (OEM from ducati reseller)

they said is a POWERED alternative "shunt", special made for driving lights always on.

anyone knows what means "shunt" ????

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/658 ... ati%20.jpg
Ducati Paso 906 grey 1990
Bmw K100rs 4v rot metallic 1992
Aprilia Tuareg Rally 1986
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: regulator / rectifier 34368001

Post by higgy »

shunt just means any excess voltage is sent to ground so what they are telling you is it is the same old regulator that is most often used on motorcycles and is the main reason stators die young
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
redchubeka
year: 1990

Post by redchubeka »

wow great innovation …. :wacko:

I'm writing an email to ducati energia to know what is the differences from the old one. I'll be back soon to you with the answer.
ciao
Ducati Paso 906 grey 1990
Bmw K100rs 4v rot metallic 1992
Aprilia Tuareg Rally 1986
JWilliam
year: 1989

Post by JWilliam »

This 'shunt' is the action of any regulator for overvolt but it is never supposed to drop to Earth. Ducati wiring from the standard Energis has the Regulator output being fed to the ignition coils (Brown wire). I expect the only difference is that the reg output is now fed to the lights. This sort of misinfo is quite common.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

This sort of misinfo is quite common.

Dude better read up on regulators as used on the majority of motorcycles THEY ALL DUMP UNUSED VOLTAGE TO EARTH and produce volumes of excess heat in the process.That in fact is the very definition of a shunt type regulator
They in fact do nothing to regulate what goes into or comes out of your stator, the sole function is to protect the battery from an excess of electricity by limiting voltage alone and to keep your bulbs from bursting

There is to date only one regulator on the market that tries to regulate what goes into the stator and unless you have improved every wire on your paso including the stator lead wires it simply is not worth the time to install

J you never fail to amaze me
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

higgy wrote:J you never fail to amaze me
No, as you can see the Alternator power output is rectified and is also monitored by the Regulator. The Reg/Rec needs a negative lead to fully rectify the AC input and if Regulator 'shunt' went only to negative the Regulator would not have any further connection to the DC bus. The rectified power output is sent to the battery for charging and to the DC bus. The regulators output goes straight to the DC bus, to high current devices - fuel pump, ignition etc. It should also be noted that low voltage DC circuits are particularly sensitive to wire size and wire length. So that if the regulator shunt connection is some distance from the battery, by the time the charge gets to the battery there will have been a voltdrop likely sufficient to avoid overcharging.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Then the AC-current is led through the rectifier inside the regulator-rectifier-unit. The rectifier converts the three AC-phases to a single 14.4 Vdc output, a ground and a positive. Because the stator is producing power according to the engine-speed the stator-output is too high all the time. This would mean the output voltage of the regulator-rectifier would be way over 14.4 Vdc all the time, which would result in an overcharged battery and blowing electrical components on the bike that were meant to run on a voltage between 12 and 15 Vdc.

Luckily there is also a regulator-part inside a regulator-rectifier. The regulator looks at the DC-voltage across the battery-terminals and short-circuits a certain amount of power that is produced by the stator to ground. This is regulated constantly, so the output-voltage of the regulator-rectifier (which ideallyis the same as the voltage across the battery-terminals) stays at 14.4 Vdc all the time.The permanent magnet generator-setup is not very efficient, but it is very simple and quite reliable. This explains why it is the most commonly used system on motorcycles.One of the problems with these systems is the short-circuiting of the excess power itself. This is done by the regulator-rectifier and this part has to dissipate the power that it shorts to ground, meaning it will get very hot. This is mostly because of the regulator and partly by the rectifier-diodes themselves that get hot just because of the current flowing through it. The regulator-rectifier internals need to be built so that the heat is transferred efficiently from the electronical components themselves to the housing of the unit, mostly equipped with cooling-fins. This is the most important bit in designing a regulator-rectifier for use in a permanent-magnet generator-setup.

Quoted from http://www.electrosport.com/technical-r ... stem-works
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
JWilliam

Post by JWilliam »

Its my turn to say sorry Dude, I've been kidding you about the circuit, my college lecturer for Electronics used to do this to me all the time.
The AC power from the alternator is rectified by the power diodes and this is sent to the battery and DC bus (red wire). The important note here is that the Regulator is switched on and off by the ignition switch (green wire) and is typically a Zener Diode switched op-amp. If the charge voltage is excessive the Regulator sends a signal to the Thyristor, these conduct and dump the alternator power straight to negative (blue wire). The Thyristors are a PNPN device and will conduct when a current from the regulator is supplied to the Gate. About the only criticism here is that usually the Thyristors dump power to a load resistor but since that is absent a genuine charging fault will screw the alternator windings and rectifier in short order. I hope the "enhanced version" of the original Ducati Energia is a lot better because they were awful, always running hot and battery boilers. As for the new ones being a 'powered shunt' - as you can see, they all are.
So there you are, the proper explanation. I feel ashamed.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

and so you should :beer: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by the way each and every winding in the stator has a positive and a negative side, it ain't magic

this forum is the premiere source of info for EVERY PASO on the planet, we should all strive to keep misinformation to a minimum, perhaps we need a "Guru" section to vent humor in the future or just shoot a targeted PM to your intended victim
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

And then we have the Shindengen mosfets... :cool:
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

This guy puts a real nice kit together for the Shindengen mosfets and has the newer Shindengen SH775 Series R/R
http://roadstercycle.com/
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Frank.61
model: 750 Paso

Post by Frank.61 »

Higgy,

Can a SH775 r/r be used on a Paso? :?
Sounds a SH775 puts less load on a stator than a shunt r/r so seems to me the better solution of the 2.

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Yes either the new SH which is a non shunting Mosfet regulator or the older"new" FH can be used
complete kits can be had here http://roadstercycle.com/
88 750
90 906
92 907ie