Problem with fuel pump and fuel filter

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Fry

Problem with fuel pump and fuel filter

Post by Fry »

Hi,

I have been having a problem with my 750 Paso I bought a couple of months ago.

I found that after opening the throttle nearly all the way round for a while (1km) and then slowing back to normal the engine would cut out.

Having had this problem before on a car I checked the fuel filter and found it to be the original filter from 1988, brown inside, and blocked.

I replaced the filter and it runs fine now, but now I have another problem because if I slow down or stop for some reason and the revs drop to around 3000 rpm or idle speed the engine cuts out.

My fuel pump when I switch on the ignition has at the same time stated to make a fast and loud clicking noise, does that mean it is going to soon be defect or is defect?

So my question is do you think I have problems with the engine cutting out at low revs because its getting to much petrol now after changing the filter, or because the fuel pump is maybe defect ??

Would be very gratefull for any help you can give me.

Fry
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

With all of the brown junk in the filter I think your carb might need a thorough cleaning. It may be that the idle jets are clogged so it only runs at higher engine speeds.

Check this post: http://tinyurl.com/8qz49

You must still have the Weber carb on it?? If so, it can benefit from a fuel pressure regulator set at about 3PSI to help control fuel flow. My Paso has the Dellorto carbs so I really can't be of much help.

Good Luck,