750 Paso project

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jpring

Post by jpring »

Thanks Jsclocum, just let me know a price and I can pay however you would like, I'll check your post on tuning Skins and see what I can do. I've considered using something like acetone, paint thinner or kerosene but I'm affraid to use anything that may attack the paint on the outside of the tank. I may make a few calls as you suggest. Theres also a local Kawasaki shop I can talk to there shop and see what they do for flushing tanks.
pope

Tank cleaning

Post by pope »

The best method of cleaning a tank that I've come across is using as many stainless steel ball bearings as you can get your hands on. Put them in the tank with a good solvent and shake. The Paso will require some extra care as it has a fuel level sensor that should be removed so that the ball bearings do not destroy it. Then rinse with fresh gas. Make sure that you count the balls that go in and count the ones that come out! They should be equal! This will normally knock any loose rust or gunk that has built up in the tank. I'd recommend an in-line fuel filter. DO NOT LET THAT CRUDE GET INTO YOUR CARBS! You'll spend a lot of money and time getting the rust out of your jets. Good Luck! When I bought my Paso several years ago I replaced the Weber with Mikunis, installed Dyna Ignition coils and made the starting modifications that are listed here in the forum. I'd highly recommend all of these mods unless your bike has Dell-Ortos. I guess you'll have all winter to straighten it out.

Doug
jpring

Post by jpring »

Thanks, I got right to working on the bike tonight... The tank that I thought was needing flushed out, turned out to be a liquid fuel tank liner and poor lighting in my garage. I've already removed the delorto's and cleaned them, I did not disturb the air screw or cable adjusters. The gas was really bad, but was mild compaired to some I've seen in the past. The carb internals including the float/inlet valve were in good shape and only required mild cleaning. I need to locate a oil filter, does anyone know what else will fit the Paso? And what weight oil + brand are people running?
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

I have no trouble getting oil filters from the local Ducati dealer, but they look like a standard replacement part if you can't get a Ducati one. I use fully synthetic Pennzoil 5-50. The bike goes noticably quicker with the lighter oil, gear-shifting is good (I've changed my shift to one-up-and-four-down) and I like the way the oil hangs in there in the desmo gear, when I look at it. Also, the lighter oil dissapates heat much quicker than a heavier oil. Some people like their engines to run hot, but like mine to run cool. The factory recommended oil was fully synthetic Agip 10-40 or Castrol GTX turbo-tested 20-40, but oil has come a long way since then.
jpring

Post by jpring »

Just checking the timing belts, they are in good condition but need to be re tightened, I checked the link for replcing belts, but didn't see anything about how to set the tension, the manual shows a special tool, but I'm thinking there must be a way to do this without the tool? I'm just hoping to ride a couple times before I put it up for the winter, it's starting to get too cold to ride here.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I like to set my belts by 'feel' - thumb and forefinger in the middle of the run, not too tight and not too loose - but that's a personal thing. They say if you can twist the belt by 45 deg without too much effort, it's about right. There is another technique using an Allen key like a feeler-guage between the belt and tensioner, but I don't use it.
jpring

Post by jpring »

Thanks again Skins! I'm getting it :cool: , I don't know where I'd be without you and the others on this forum... I have another question though, in the manual it says to torque the tesioner bolts to 14.46 -: 18.08 ft lbs (divide symbol in between ) I'am assuming this is the sae coversion from metric, and if I torque them in between that range I should be ok. The divide symbol is throwing me off. I'll try to locate a filter, the syn pennzoil 5-50, a battery and some fresh fuel in the morning. I also checked the chain and lubed it. shouldn't be long now :thumbup:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Yeah, Jeff, I think the division symbol indicates a range. My manual says 2-2.5 kg/m, or 20-24 N.m, or 14.5-18.1 lb/ft. I hope she goes well. You should find her nice and torquey, and very smooth right through the rev range. Have you never ridden one before?
jpring

Post by jpring »

I have never rode or even heard a Ducati run. My bike phase went from Japanise to American a few years back once I could afford a American built motorcycle. I've always admired the European design and engineering, this 750 paso for being a 1988 motorcycle is about a good looking as a bike can be. I just got the new issue of Cycle World the other day and most of the new bikes just look a little too far out there for me... Guess I must be getting old :confused:
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

Well you're in for a treat. The Paso 750 is very comfortable but can be quite exciting to ride, and the motor could be the sweetest one Ducati ever built. Dead stable at any speed, but with incredibly light steering. And the exhaust note is real mellow. If you're getting old like me, this is the way to do it.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

jpring wrote:Just checking the timing belts, they are in good condition but need to be re tightened, I checked the link for replcing belts, but didn't see anything about how to set the tension, the manual shows a special tool, but I'm thinking there must be a way to do this without the tool? I'm just hoping to ride a couple times before I put it up for the winter, it's starting to get too cold to ride here.
Jeff,

Replace the belts. 2 years or 12K miles and they mean it. If a belt breaks it will be a catastrophic failure. Valve will meet piston. Yo already have the bodywork off along with the tank. It really is a 45 minute job and not hard to do.

To adjust tension, look here. The feeler gauge method is very easy to use and quite accurate.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/belttension
jpring

Post by jpring »

Hello, I don't have the Paso running yet but I'm hoping to in the next day or two. On adjusting the belts I used the hex key method only because I could not get the right feel for the tension using my thumb and forefinger after about 10 times of trial and error, now they feel just right. The tempratures are getting to be in the low 40's here during the daytime and I'm only wanting to take a "slow" cruise at low rpm's down the road possibly 5 or so miles just to get a feel for the Paso before I have to park it until next April (when the snow is gone). By the way, I do appriciate your concerns, and you are 100% correct in telling me this. I also ordered 2 K&N oil filters today, I could not find the Penzoil 5W-50 today so went with Rotella 5W-40 full synthetic. My hex wrenches only go to 10mm and the drain plug is larger, anyone know the size ( 12mm maybe? ) Thanks.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Skins »

I measured my drain plug, and it was a 10mm. Thats funny, I thought, then I remembered replaced my plug with a new one from the Ducati dealer, cause I dropped the original and broke the magnet. Just too busy at present to hunt for the old one and measure it, sorry Jeff.
motiztab

Post by motiztab »

If your doing the oil change remember the wire gause filter located on the right side of the engine, to get it out you need to remove right hand side of the frame.
750pheonix

Post by 750pheonix »

looking forward to when you get it turning over (with the new cam belts of course)... I am geting my own collected from the seller tomorrow... it's been standing for 5 years in the back of a bike shop uncollected by the owner... so they sold it.

I have no idea what is under the 906 fairing that is on it at the moment... but the guy sellign it said that it had turned over ok, and the electrics were good when connected to a battery.

Hopefully we will both be able to enjoy la primavera in style.