Paso 20mm swingarm pivot modification

discussions specific to the 907IE
Speedmade
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Re: Paso 20mm swingarm pivot modification

Post by Speedmade »

paso750 wrote:Speedmade, don`t mind me asking but seeing that the thread of the 20mm pivot is longer I wonder which part of it sits in the frame. Hope you get what I mean. (if it`s the threaded part it could cause radial play, which may be gone if all is tightened up, but still...)
No issue. The full 20mm sections sit within the frame.
Speedmade

Post by Speedmade »

paso750 wrote:
how did you solve it with the bearings in the engine case?
I assume the 999 engine originally uses a 20mm swingarm pivot.
The 999 does use a 20mm pin, but I did not use the 999 cases. The 999S have deep sump cases and those wouldn't fit with the bodywork. So I am using ST3 cases with the 999 internals and heads.

Surprisingly the pivot location of the ST3 cases and the Paso pivot are concentric. All I had to do was narrow the cases a little
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

And as for the bearings they are in the swing arm on a Paso and the pivot bolt itself does not rotate , probly all that's needed is a 20mm hole in the cases with a seal to keep the oil in .
Cant help thinking about that big wide tall rear head.......fitting :D ..............maybe that was the inspiration for the supermono . This aint the 1st time I heard of this planned mod and I do recall there being " clearance " issues but I don't recall ever seeing it finished . :)
A lot of the cases have the same pick up points ( SS , 851 , monster ect ) , not sure but you may have been able to use the the Paso cases .
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Speedmade

Post by Speedmade »

Thanks for your non-constructive comments.
Maybe you should post some pictures of stuff you have built.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Non constructive ? nah , I don't see that . When you post pix of the 999s motor sitting in a Paso frame with the exhausts and throttle bodies/ air filters all sorted and looking good I will be among the 1st to congratulate you , but when its all still pie in the sky you gotta expect a little discussion ( why would you post if you weren't wanting discussion / feedback ) and , as I have alluded to ..... I have seen this type of project ( 4 valve engine in a Paso frame ) started more times than I have seen it finished .
I havn't built anything of interest lately , a trailer , a 20 ton press ( to rebuild my RD400 crank assy ) , a huge door made out of my Dads old spa pool decking , and I am repowering my Ford Capri with a ally V8 & 5 speed box ....... nothing that's relevant here. :)
Frank.61
model: 750 Paso

Post by Frank.61 »

Mc tool, you're right, no bearings just 2 oil seals (due to no movement as you correctly stated).
Still it seems to me a hell of a project. :thumbup:

Speedmade: how did you decide where to put the engine (aligning it)?
Do you think you can manage the larger heads with the fuel tank?

Really impressed with the fact that you want to combine the 4-valve heads with the Paso!
Have seen once or twice a similar attempt but can't recall seeing a finishend product.

No pain, no glory!

Keep up the works :thumbup:
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

Speedmade....... Mc Tool ........ :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: Now Now Chidren :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

englishstiv wrote:Speedmade....... Mc Tool ........ :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: Now Now Chidren :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:)
900streetfighter
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

There was a guy from germany on here bock900R that put a ST4 motor and single sided arm in a 907 and finished it but we didnt get a road test report.http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... 9&start=60 . Also JoKing on here put a ST3 motor in 907.