Oil leaks 89 900 ss

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 900 SS
year: 1989

Oil leaks 89 900 ss

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

I want to curb future all leaks as my engine was pretty oily prior to reaping the engine, want to strip alternator side of the engine and clutch side , any gaskets there, seals, origs, sightglass etc, special tools required?? Easy to do?? I will leave belts and pulleys to ducati shop, as I believe that's could be tricky, any advice would be appreciated
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Oil leaks 89 900 ss

Post by Mc tool »

Dude , if your willing ( and able ) to crack the cases then you'll find the belts are a piece of piss. you should suss where the oil is actually coming from as there is no real point in pulling bits off and replacing gaskets and seals if that's not where its leaking. Probly the only issue would be getting the LH cover off as there is an outrigger ( ball )bearing on the end of the crank ... just under the wee cover with the 2 screws in it ...... sometimes they are able to be pulled off but some sort of puller can be fashioned
The 2 seals behind the clutch basket should be replaced as they are cheap and if they even weep a bit that oil can be enough to make the clutch grabby and creepy .... give everything , plates inc , a good wash in degreaser and chuck em back in :)
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (104.96 KiB) Viewed 125871 times
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Yeah looking at photos and seriously this thing was so dirty and oily that i struggle to see where its coming from, do they have known
areas to leak , maybe just valve covers ? youre right i dont really want to take that job on if unnecessary, is there a preferred option of valve cover gaskets, and if i go ahead with alt and clutchside gaskets do i need any special tools for clutch, thanks ,also my my stator has a 3 pin cable is thst corect as in my parts manual i see a 2 pin
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

The 3 pin cable is probly correct for an older belt drive , my paso has 3 wires too . I made a clutch holder out of a old plate . The kink in the middle brace is so you can get at the clutch nut .The best way to suss oil leaks is to give the donk a good spray down with water soluble degreaser ( super cheap auto's ) and give it a good hose down ( not a water blaster ) and go for a ride and see where its leaking . Im not aware of any known disaster zones :) and the only surprize attack I had was when the oil pressure switch packed up and spewed oil , didn't notice till I got off the bike and had a boot covered in oil .
Attachments
DSC02829.JPG
DSC02829.JPG (99.32 KiB) Viewed 125802 times
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

My engine is already clean and repainted l can only go off pics, the bike will look pretty much new soon (any luck) so I feel I really don't have a choice but to replace every seal and gaskets I can, don't want to risk a leaky engine after all this work
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Thanks for your help , good advice and the pics of your clutchtool will really help, if i can fashion the tools then i will see about
the parts i need, if that goes well i'll have a crack, i'm no bike mechanic but i did rebuild one 850 lemans engine, some years ago, thanks again.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

The other thing in my pic is a tool for removing the head retaining nuts . If you make a clutch tool give some thought as to the length of the handle as you can use the foot peg bracket to rest the handle on making the removal of said nut a much easier job :) .
I too have rebuilt a Guzzi motor ( 850t 1974 ) and Id say the skill level is about the same ..... this desmo stuff is not hard brain cell wise , just a bit fiddlier with the shims .
Another thing to watch is ..... if you split the crank cases you'll find a gasket between the halves that is not available as a part so either don't split the cases unless you really need to , or be prepared to make your own gasket out of 0.7mm thick gasket paper ( not hard ) or just use three bond to seal the cases ( very hard ) as you will need to re-shim all the shafts for end float as the 0.7mm gasket originally between the cases now not there ............. way easier to make your own gasket :) Im trying to think back and Im pretty sure you can replace all the seals and all gaskets ( apart from the crank case gasket ) without taking the motor from the frame. You can get the seals out by drilling a small hole in the seal and fitting a small self tapping screw and just pull the seal out.
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

I have removed alternator cover and in process of making the clutch tool; weld skills not good but will working hope, I won't be splitting the main cases at this stage, do you think it's worth retorquing the heads
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

I have removed the clutch basket and looks like I need to remove the clutch housing to release the casing and the gasket, is that process done with an impact socket and do I need to lock up the clutch housing from turning , thanks again
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

you can use a flat bar between the clutch housing ( basket ) fingers but it must be long enough and skinny enough to pass thru both sides of the housing , to hold it while you use a socket ,, but an impact wrench is ok if you have one , but you will need to lock that housing when you torque up the bolts anyhow so may as well find something flatter than the battery :D . Once that basket is off you can see the two seals around the clutch shafts , easy to replace . Unless you want to split the main crankcases , and there would have to be a good reason , to go further than removing that primary drive cover . Doing so will give you a good view of everything on that side of the motor , that and the alt cover being off .... you about have it nailed for " havin' a butchers" and unless , as I say , you have good reason to believe there is something amiss leave the cases whole . The bottom end , treated 1/2 decently is good for at the very least 80,000kms that I know of , and probly a lot longer :)
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

I have the clutch housing and clutch side cover off easiest way to separate clutch housing from flywheel to completely release clutch cover ? Is this where I will find the oil seals you mention ? In my defense I was told the dumbest question is one never asked
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Or do I even need do that, all I can see is bearingsand a shim in the middle
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

I finally realised what's up, I put specs on and found the seals feelin pretty dumb but all looks good so like you said it gives you a good look at the front and back of the heart of the old girl, thanks you were spot on now to remove seals and keep moving forward
HIGHWAY89
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by HIGHWAY89 »

Just got housing off and saw the other seal , didn't realise housing just needed a touch with the rubber hammer, will change bears and seals
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

While you have the covers off its a good time to nut out how the oil system flows around the motor if your interested :)