Wife's Story Now Available

creative words or images - your own or by others - that express for you the feeling of motorcycling
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Wife's Story Now Available

Post by Desmo_Demon »

It's been a while since I've been active here but many of you probably remember the stories about my wife and her disability. She was in an accident in 2003 that resulted in her left leg being paralyzed from the knee down. In order to ride her own bike again, we had to install a Pingel electric shifter so she could change gears with push button controls on the handlebars. She had another accident in 2012 when a woman turned in front of her and she T-boned the car. This is the main reason I haven't been around - because of that accident and everything that has happened since then with me being extremely busy.

Part of that being busy is that I wrote a book of my wife's motorcycling experiences, which I have mentioned here in the past. Finally, the book is done and available.

If you are interested in her story, go to your country's Amazon website and do a search for "If I Wrap It Tight Enough." The book is offered in many countries. I also have a website dedicated to the book...

www.IfIWrapItTightEnough.com

Thanks!
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Wife's Story Now Available

Post by paso750 »

Terry, I didn't know there was another crash 6 years ago. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully by now she's better again.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Wife's Story Now Available

Post by Desmo_Demon »

paso750 wrote:Terry, I didn't know there was another crash 6 years ago. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully by now she's better again.
I'm sorry. I thought I shared that with you.

Yeah, she hit the fender and flew over the car and landing hard on her left shoulder. She tore all the ligaments in her right knee (the good one), broke the fibula (small bone) in her right leg, and broke her left arm and left shoulder in three places. The shoulder resulted in a metal plate and 9 screws. I tried riding for about the first year without her, but it was just so weird. For the prior 9-10 years before the accident, we rode together all the time. We were riding up to 16,000 miles together in a year.

These injuries took forever to heal and made the previous injuries from 2003 worse. She did ride again, but hasn't since because of the pain. Her story was such a good one that I just HAD to write the book about her motorcycling! I interviewed her and then wrote it in first-person so it is like she is telling you her story. I wish it wouldn't have taken so long to complete, but I finally did it! I'm almost done with another that is basically our journals we wrote after the last accident so people can see how it affected her and the family from her point of view and mine. The other book should be available in about four weeks.

But, yeah, this is why I haven't been around much at all. I quit riding and feel I don't really have much to contribute to the forum that I already haven't shared. Being in motorcycle forums just makes me miss riding, so I avoid the forums. I keep telling myself I will ride again in a month or two or next year, but it doesn't seem to happen. :dunno: :cry:

I'm just glad I have been able to contribute in the past and hope I helped others over time. ;)

She really does have a terrific story. I find it motivational and helps give people a better outlook on their own lives, but that may just be me.
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)