Hi from Italy!!

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

User avatar
Frank.61
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989
Location: Belgium

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Frank.61 »

Hey Marco,

I use Officine08 myself regularly (been there once on my way to Pisa, but they were closed :oops: ), in particular they have a lot of "wear and tear" parts for older Italian motorcyles (rubbers etc., the Ariette stuff).
As said, let's see how it goes with your dashboard (intriguing :smoke: ), the mounting (bracket) of the mechanical petrol pump etc.
But yours seems to be in a better condition than most I've seen (the previous owner also tried to fix the saddle neatly, like that - I personally love the original color red).
By the way: that aluminium plate used for the electrics is a typical Tamburini item (if you have ever seen the "old" Bimota's (pre DB1) you'll understand).
He always got annoyed when he saw the electrical parts crammed together like some kind of "pasta frutti di mare" :lol: .
I was once at CRG in Rimini (unfortunately after his death) there everything was super arranged, no chaos there!
And let me know the mileage of your Paso, just curious.

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

Frank.61 wrote:Hey Marco,

I use Officine08 myself regularly (been there once on my way to Pisa, but they were closed :oops: ), in particular they have a lot of "wear and tear" parts for older Italian motorcyles (rubbers etc., the Ariette stuff).
As said, let's see how it goes with your dashboard (intriguing :smoke: ), the mounting (bracket) of the mechanical petrol pump etc.
But yours seems to be in a better condition than most I've seen (the previous owner also tried to fix the saddle neatly, like that - I personally love the original color red).
By the way: that aluminium plate used for the electrics is a typical Tamburini item (if you have ever seen the "old" Bimota's (pre DB1) you'll understand).
He always got annoyed when he saw the electrical parts crammed together like some kind of "pasta frutti di mare" :lol: .
I was once at CRG in Rimini (unfortunately after his death) there everything was super arranged, no chaos there!
And let me know the mileage of your Paso, just curious.

Frank
Hi Frank ...... my Paso has about 64000km, I have no idea if it is its original kilometers (maybe the dashboard has been replaced with another and these are not the original kilometers of the bike).
The motorbike I found for sale in a town near Florence .... unfortunately the owner was dead and the children were unable to tell me much about the work done .... they only told me that the father had it completed in 2005 and had never used it because of the disease which was fatal to him ..... (sorry for him).
Indeed the bike was covered with dust and had new but obviously damaged tires, as it hadn't been parked on stands (which I do with all my bikes when I leave them stationary for several days ...)
The dashboard is currently the most important thing to fix ..... basically everything works, the lights, the instruments .... or rather .... I think they work correctly ....
The speedometer correctly indicates the speed, even if the hand oscillates a little .... I would say that the tachometer is okay ... I have problems with the fuel and temperature indicators. The first, if the bike is stationary, is stable .... as soon as I start moving it fluctuates sharply ....
the thermometer does not move, so I have to understand if the problem is the bulb of the thermostat or the instrument ....
The lights all work even if they are a bit "weak" in terms of brightness .... I have already replaced the battery with a new YUASA, I have changed the voltage regulator, the fuse box and all the wiring of the main line. these days I got the connectors for the electrical system which I will replace one at a time hoping to improve the electrical connections.

About Officine08.... yes, I also found many interesting pieces at reasonable prices ... obviously considering that we are talking about motorcycles with more than 30 years
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

Image

this is how look now the electric panel.....

I have another question....
I have also a 2004 Ducati 999 to which I have just replaced the rear mono shock absorber with a MUPO EVO, more suitable for track use ..... now I have the original SHOWA shock installed on the 999 which advances ..... according to you, with the due tricks, it could be mounted on the Paso since the original one seems quite worn?

Image

Image
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
User avatar
Frank.61
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989
Location: Belgium

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Frank.61 »

Hi Marco,

Honestly? I doubt it (ordered a brand new tailor made one for my Paso, but that's more out of habit).
A few things you should check: distance eye-to-eye of the 999 shock, spring stiffness and if the "piggy back" fits your Paso frame.
I see K80, if that is for the spring stiffness 80kg/cm then that is fine.
The eye-to-eye of the Paso should be 367mm.

But first look which brand of shock you have, a few were delivered with an Ohlins (worth knowing: the Ducati Paso 750 was de first production motorcycle for the road with standard an Ohlins shock).
On the right side of the frame under the cover directly next to the battery, you will find the adjuster for the spring pretension, here you can see if it is a Ohlins or not (sticker).
Due to the relation between Cagiva (motorcross worldchampionship) and Ohlins for their competition bikes.
After a few hundred Ducati changed the brand for Marzocchi (nice but no were near as nice as the Ohlins).
If you have an original Ohlin, I strongly suggest to service that one (the Ohlins shock was very successful on the Paso and much appreciated by the trade press).

Love your 999 bye the way (not appreciated as it should - like the Paso) :thumbup:

Ciao,

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

Frank.61 wrote:Hi Marco,

Honestly? I doubt it (ordered a brand new tailor made one for my Paso, but that's more out of habit).
A few things you should check: distance eye-to-eye of the 999 shock, spring stiffness and if the "piggy back" fits your Paso frame.
I see K80, if that is for the spring stiffness 80kg/cm then that is fine.
The eye-to-eye of the Paso should be 367mm.

But first look which brand of shock you have, a few were delivered with an Ohlins (worth knowing: the Ducati Paso 750 was de first production motorcycle for the road with standard an Ohlins shock).
On the right side of the frame under the cover directly next to the battery, you will find the adjuster for the spring pretension, here you can see if it is a Ohlins or not (sticker).
Due to the relation between Cagiva (motorcross worldchampionship) and Ohlins for their competition bikes.
After a few hundred Ducati changed the brand for Marzocchi (nice but no were near as nice as the Ohlins).
If you have an original Ohlin, I strongly suggest to service that one (the Ohlins shock was very successful on the Paso and much appreciated by the trade press).

Love your 999 bye the way (not appreciated as it should - like the Paso) :thumbup:

Ciao,

Frank
Thanks Frank for the info!! i will check the data that you give to me..... i saw some new shock from Bitubo and it cost 500€.....
if I have no other solution, I will opt for the purchase of a new rear shock absorber ..... but if with some modifications to the suspension (not on the bike for sure....!) I can adapt the SHOWA of the 999, I will try to install it...
for the moment I thank you for the very useful information you have given me.
See you soon!
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

Hi guys.....
about dashboard this morning i found this on Ebay.uk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Paso- ... SwFqZeZ5mT

what you think? it's reasonable? only for fix the dashboard box.....
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
User avatar
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:35 am
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Newzealand

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Mc tool »

And the tacho and speedo inserts shown below. If you dont I will .
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
User avatar
Frank.61
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989
Location: Belgium

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Frank.61 »

Marco,

I personally think that it is usually that part, that is in order (on the other hand, it is not very expensive - if you need it).
If you clean the original dashboard gently and at ease, it usually looks a lot better, similar to the eBay article. :thumbup:
The perspex front suffers the most from time (and sunlight).
The meters themselves also can get a bit stiff over time (period of prolonged standstill).
A new (906/907) dashboard is available NOS for about 500 euros. :wacko:
I bought such a new (NOS) 2 years ago, only the Paso 750 has an oil temperature gauge instead of a water temperature gauge so I have to convert it someday.
But even with the "new" dashboards, the perspex has become a bit more brittle (but nicely scratch-free and clear). :huh:

Oh yes, Gerhard (Paso750) has experimented a lot with LED dashboard lights (he is German so that so that means it's been done very precisely and almost scientifically - take advantage of it). :beer:
If you like that kind of things, you should do that now that you have already opened the dashboard.

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... +dashboard

Keep us informed!

Il tempo è bello, puoi uscire di nuovo, quindi guida il tuo Paso)!

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

Wow what a job!!
For sure now you give me a idea to occupy my free time!
He make a incredible job!!!

Thanks for re-post me discussion!
For sure now is the moment to fix the dashboard better that is possible.... i must look on ebay/amazon to find the right leds!

Many thanks!!

p.s: problems aside, I'm really having fun trying to fix the Paso a little at a time !!
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
User avatar
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:35 am
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Newzealand

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Mc tool »

The p750 oil temp is the same as the p906 water temp gauge ....just has oil written on it . I bought a new Paso dash assy without thinking about the different gauges on the
P750 and P750 it but it works just fine
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
User avatar
Frank.61
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989
Location: Belgium

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Frank.61 »

Hey McTool,

OK so I "just" need to exchange the dial?
Have not looked into the matter but assume I have to carefully remove the plastic cover, then detach the pointer from the temperature gauge and then swap the dial? :?:
Or have you just left the water temperature dial on? :beer:

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
User avatar
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:35 am
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Newzealand

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Mc tool »

Id just leave it as is , it does say oil but as for practicality its ok. Usually either sized paso heats up to a point and pretty much stays there. You will quickly learn where "normal" is .....which will be close to the middle of the scale. If you want to change the face over I havnt got one close by but I would see if you cant easily change it.....cant be that hard :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
User avatar
Frank.61
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989
Location: Belgium

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by Frank.61 »

Mc Tool,

Thanks anyway, I have the new dashboard mounted on the front subframe but not connected sofar.
Always assumed that I had to change the whole temperature meter, but happy to hear that it is basically the same meter only with a different "dial". :rimshot:

I still have the original (old) dashboard and I intend to open and repair it ever once (perpex cover - replacement / home construction), but first I have to have my Paso ready (it will take a while since I am still waiting for my surgery and including rehabilitation I will be a year later :,( ).

Do you know if and where to get the original (electrical) pins for the dashboard? :?: :?:
I searched everywhere but I did not really succeed.
I am mainly concerned with the small brass galvanized particles since I am going to make a new (different from original) wiring harness myself (Motogadget). :wacko:
I can clean the white plastic connector and use them again, but I don't want to solder the old pins but to get new ones and crimp them on the new cables.

Frank
Bimota SB4-S - 1984
Ducati Paso 750 - 1989
Suzuki SV1000S - 2008
Ducati Monster 796 abs - 2010
angelix
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:38 am
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1990
Location: UK

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by angelix »

Marco, with regards to the shock, I had mine rebuilt by ORAM Sospensioni (http://www.oramsospensioni.it/)

actually i did something b"wicked" I got a Marzocchi monoshock from a Paso 750 that had the remote preloader for the spring and sent it to Oram asking them to make one to fit "temporarly" to my 907

it is so good that I never looked back and I left it on the bike despite being less sofisticated that the Marzocchi Duoshock I had on my 907.

Anyway, my suggestion is get either a monoshock or a duoshock on the cheap from ebay send it to ORAM and get it refurbished and it will last another 10 years.
User avatar
mark999.multi
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990
Location: Italy

Re: Hi from Italy!!

Post by mark999.multi »

angelix wrote:Marco, with regards to the shock, I had mine rebuilt by ORAM Sospensioni (http://www.oramsospensioni.it/)

actually i did something b"wicked" I got a Marzocchi monoshock from a Paso 750 that had the remote preloader for the spring and sent it to Oram asking them to make one to fit "temporarly" to my 907

it is so good that I never looked back and I left it on the bike despite being less sofisticated that the Marzocchi Duoshock I had on my 907.

Anyway, my suggestion is get either a monoshock or a duoshock on the cheap from ebay send it to ORAM and get it refurbished and it will last another 10 years.
Hi Angelix, thanks for your answer....
Yes of course there are many possibilities about the rear shock.... my objective is to install a brand new BITUBO shock absorber, so probably this winter (when I will dismantle again the Paso for paint it completely!!) i will buy the BITUBO..... my question was because I would still like to try to install the unit that I disassembled from my 999, only track use, and "play" a little on the Paso !!

I will inform you about the job or the possibility to do it...!!
Suzuki GSX-R 600 '00 (ex)
Ducati 999 '05 only track
Cagiva Elefant 750 '95 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2012 (ex)
Ducati Multistrada Enduro 2016
Ducati Paso 750 '90
Post Reply