discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Shinko tyres again available

Post by Mc tool »

paso750 wrote:Initially I was kind of amused by this post tbh. Certainly the tire situation would be know here as the forum exists already a long time and that topic can be found in the FAQs, as well.
However, it's good to point out that fresh tires are available. I've bought a set last month and they are from 2020. The german importer didn't know if he'll order more this year as there seems to be a minimum order quantity of 100 pieces. That is what they sell in 2-3 years, he said. The tires are produced in batches every few months like Michelin did in the last years.

Sometimes I still find comments on the internet about tires not being available and some guys therefore advise not to by a Paso which is nonsense.
However everybody who has one (and that includes me) should get it out of the garage and on the road. Ride it on regular basis. Consuming tires, buying new ones and creating a constant (even if low) demand should ensure that they will be available also in future. Buying several pairs of tires and hoarding them for years imho sends the wrong signal to the tire manufacturer.

Hamish, you got 900 NZ$ for a set of old Michelins? You lucky bastard. :beer: Almost wish I hadn't thrown mine away years ago.
Yeah , I got real lucky ,guy wanted a set still with the molding bristles on them .
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Kmamac

Post by Kmamac »

paso750 wrote:... and the F1 Laguna Seca ;)
more ... practical black/alu wheels of the 750 paso
actually the white ones are probably more practical as they seem to have less corrosion problems and there's no clear coat that can peel off. I was mentioned long time ago here on the forum that WD40 works fine for cleaning the white rims.
I concur. I find the white wheels paint is superb. They clearly get dirty quickly but they clean VERY easily.
liebig
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by liebig »

Mc tool wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 pm Sure is , my pile of michelins has shrunk by a pair , told my hairdresser ....yeah yeah ,I was getting a #2 haircut , about my tires , kinda funny coz I got the feeling I was being interogated , but anyhow her Dad turned up at home ( I also told her I had the new fence on the corner ) he paid me 900 bucks nz ,he has an early 851 in his snooker room and wanted new tires . I havnt see the bike yet but apparently it looks like it just left the factory , hence the need for new factory tires.......works for me , cept Di had a use for my 900 bucks so I didnt get to hang on to it for long ........going to a tradie to lay the kitchen flooring that has been in the junk room for 3 years .
If my hairdressers dad showed up on my doorstep, I'd be getting a bit worried.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I dunno so much for not being collectable ..... well not at the moment but there was a bit going on at Ducati when the pasos were made , bit of new technology , winning some good races and the bikes themselves are a bit unique . I think that in years to come serious Ducati collectors are going to want one as part of the factory history. A lot of major collections also feature any "duds " the factory made . I aint saying Pasos are duds but they didnt go down all that well at the time ..... square frames , cant see the motor , poxy weber and silly wheels , and they didnt make all that many so allowing for those who cant ride and those with penis fingers to wreak a few they aint that thick on the ground . Bit of a vegemite thing ( no middle ground , you either love it or hate it ). Any how I,ll be hanging on to mine , mothballed and parked in the hall
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
ducskii
year: 1988

Post by ducskii »

following this whole discussion and i need some clarification - what are the factory advised tire sizes ? is it ok to run a 13 60 16 on the front ( I wish to have a quicker handling front end .
randtcastell
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

As I recall. 130/60/16 is the correct front tire size. 160/60/16 is the size for the rear. IMHO, quicker handling can be achieved with some skill in the corners. Put your weight over the front end and lean hard. Riding the Paso is physical. You must shift your body around as conditions require for quickness through the corners. Light use of front brake. Little or no rear brake. For quickness, best to use throttle, engine breaking in corners. Be in the right gear. Cheers! :^)
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
murphus
year: 1988

Post by murphus »

The Paso's handling is quite excellent. The riding position puts you forward, making it easy to put even more weight over the front wheel if you want/need to. And it really will pull hard through the turns. I can take a given turn almost as fast on my Laverda RGS, but it takes a lot more determination and focus as the riding geometry doesn't naturally put as much weight over the front wheel.
1973 BMW R75/5
1976 Suzuki GT185
1983 Lavarda RGS 1000
1988 Ducati Paso 750
1995 BMW K75