Yet another project

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
nr.
model: 750 Sport
year: 1991

Yet another project

Post by nr. »

Hi all,

I thought it best to introduce myself before starting with the newbie questions... I'm Neil, from the UK - and have just been gifted a 1991 750 Sport. Well, to be more precise, I've just been gifted a load of boxes with what looks like most of the parts:
Obviously then, lots of work to do! This is my first Ducati (I've ridden many, but never owned one until now) but I do have a Morini Dart in the garage, so I'm not entirely unused to the ways and foibles of Italian bikes.

I promise to read and search for things before asking any questions - it looks like many of the things I've already pondered have been asked and answered here already. But equally, I'm sure there will be many things that leave me stumped.

Progress (and just plain frustration at times) will be documented at https://nronketti.wordpress.com/ - there's a few little things there from my initial fumblings, but hopefully soon I'll be able to get stuck into the bottom end rebuild and something more interesting than just cleaning and cataloguing a million old rusty bolts.

Thanks all - look forward to getting to talk to you,
Kmamac
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Yet another project

Post by Kmamac »

Welcome Neil, looks like a great project. I have 750 sport as well. Not running but sort of nearly next in line LOL. As you alluded to there is a wealth of information on this site and a number of very knowledgeable individuals. I will take a look at your website
randtcastell
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

i read yer website yesterday. i really appreciate the quality of your presentation and the time and talent to do such nice work. Super write up and photo documentation. Thank you for sharing all your effort and baring your soul. :^)
1987 Paso 750
1973 Honda CB450
2017 Kawasaki Ninja300 track bike
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by higgy »

:beer: :thumbup: yes a very nice job
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
nr.
year: 1991

Post by nr. »

Blimey, I can hardly believe that it's been two months already since I posted that introduction - time flies and all that. But it's safe to say that the 750 Sport has been making steady, if not spectacular, progress. I've been trying to keep my blog up to date with photos and reasonably regular posts, but even that has been a bit sporadic.

However, a quick status update. The engine is now kind of back together, mostly... The bottom end all went back together with a set of new bearings and seals, and some careful reshimming of the crank and gearbox. I ended up using the best parts of the 750 Sport and a 600SS gearbox, and while the output shaft is 8mm longer, that doesn't seem to be a problem as the sprocket from my 748 is 8mm thicker, so *should* line up just perfectly. We'll see. The stator is completely rogered, and will need rewinding - but I've got a place reasonably local to me that will do this, so I'm not worried about that. I want to at least test that the engine is capable of running before I worry about it's ability to charge a battery. The clutch slave cylinder is also a cause for concern (heck, the whole clutch is, if I'm honest) but again, let's get things running before worrying whether it can send power anywhere.

Barrels slipped back on with the aid of a home-made ring compressor from an Illy coffee can and a couple of cable ties, and the heads are now also in place, although not torqued down yet. The engine is a big old lump for sure, but it's good to have a full engine on the bench now, rather than three boxes of bits.

Next step then, is to get the heads torqued down and new belts fitted. Then I can pop the motor in the frame, and start to worry about everything else I need to test it. Exhaust all looks fine, carbs are a completely unknown quantity, and the electrics have been hopelessly butchered in the past. I think I'm likely to end up rebuilding most of the loom - which is something I'm looking forward to hugely. I'm at my happiest with a wiring diagram and a soldering iron.

As mentioned, I've been trying to keep things up to date on the blog - https://nronketti.wordpress.com/ - and I'm overdue writing an update there.

To sum up - loads done, but so much more to do before I can even tell if I have a viable project. I dearly hope so, as it's a bloody lovely looking bike.

Ta,
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Andrew2 »

Nice work. Thanks for keeping us updated.