Broken Left Side Cover question

discussions specific to the 907IE
NavyOgre
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Broken Left Side Cover question

Post by NavyOgre »

Does anyone know from which actual aluminum alloy the 907ie/Paso side covers were cast?

Background: Yes, I was STUPID. My stator died an untimely death due to wear on the output cable at the engine case. I gathered a bunch of reference material, including downloads from this forum, concerning the process of pulling the left side cover. I even had a cardboard mask for the removed screws. Long story short, I missed the very short screw under the clutch slave cylinder after it’s removal. When I started pulling the cover and found it “sticking” I even went back and looked for missed screws. I was “aided” and “supervised” in this endeavor by my brother-in-law, whose primary skill in life is mooching off family and friends. Needless to say I was more focused on NOT screaming at him than what I was doing on the bike (solely to preserve peace with his sister/my spouse) and over-torqued the puller before finding the forgotten screw. Yes, even using the DesmoTimes correct, short-handled, cover puller you can put enough anger-fueled muscle on the cover to crack the hell out of it. Picture a large capital “F” starting near that screw and leading up into the “tail” of the cover. I’ll try to post pictures later.

Said covers are apparently platinum-plated, diamond-encrusted unobtanium. Several Ducati dealers and parts sources have openly chuckled at my queries concerning a replacement.

Anyway, I’ve also consulted with several welders, who despite estimates of $200-500, are hesitant to weld on AlMg or AlTi alloys without better info, hence my initial question.

Alternatively I am considering cleaning up the crack. With a dremel tool, providing as much “tooth as possible with fine bits, and doing careful buildup with JB Weld then recontouring and repainting the resultant cover. I would start with it screwed snuggly in place prior to the initial outer buildup, then removing the cover when the cracks are properly aligned/fixed to finish off the interior surfaces and edge.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
NavyOgre
year: 1993

Re: Broken Left Side Cover question

Post by NavyOgre »

F4DD0F95-B939-4EC0-B60B-308A86CFFB6F.jpeg
F4DD0F95-B939-4EC0-B60B-308A86CFFB6F.jpeg (342.77 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
AFBA8B59-2A8E-4A8A-AE1B-43FD8D5730D4.jpeg
AFBA8B59-2A8E-4A8A-AE1B-43FD8D5730D4.jpeg (231.75 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
Thebenelliman
year: 1992

Post by Thebenelliman »

That crack is in a nasty place and is misaligned I think a new or good second hand case is the answer. I hope someone on here can steer you in the right direction or may have one they could part with. We all have a annoying relatives my brother in laws head is the size of the moon where motorcycles are concerned.He apparently has seen it and done it many times before you have!
The Benelliman
1992 907ie
1981 Benelli 900 Sei
1989 Benelli 900 Sei
1976 Benelli 125 Enduro
1981 Benelli 250 2c
1976 Benelli 250 Quattro
1980 Benelli 254
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I'd try Rudy ( info@duc-only.nl ) or Ed Milich at Ducpower. Maybe one of them has one in stock.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

That aint so bad , my Mrs has 9 brothers and 2 sisters , 2 brothers are ok the rest.........are not .
Am sorry to say I think your going to need another cover. That one looks to hard to fix properly, specially as it involves a gasket surface
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time