Dumbass loses only key to 907IE

discussions specific to the 907IE
bconab

Dumbass loses only key to 907IE

Post by bconab »

I'm the dumb ass....

Much to my dismay, I find that the ignition set is no longer manufactured/available. I was able to locate on Ebay a key dealer in AU who claimed to have key blanks. My locksmith doesn't seem to think these keys are correct. While he's working on it, I'm trying to figure out what other avenues I have available to me..

Any ideas/help would be appreciated

Bob Conabee
New City, NY
:confused:
qldman36
year: 0

Post by qldman36 »

If you are talking about Keys 4 Classics in Au, maybe you should find another local locksmith. I am using blanks from him as are several others on this site. Very GOOD person to deal with.
Important point. What year 907? If early '91 check my post in "lost key", about 4th or 5th into it before we got side tracked. If early '91 you may need 906 blank.
Last edited by qldman36 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bconab

Post by bconab »

Glad to know the guy is reputable. Does anybody know whether the '91 907IE keys are the same as the 92/93 keys? I only ask because the dealership says the still sell ignition sets/key blanks for 92/93, but not for '91...

BTW. I have emailed Keys 4 Classics with this same question. Will let everyone know what his response is..

Thanks
Bob
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

REread my posting as i edited it with maybe the answer to your question.
beemerboy

Re: Dumbass loses only key to 907IE

Post by beemerboy »

bconab wrote:I'm the dumb ass....

Much to my dismay, I find that the ignition set is no longer manufactured/available. I was able to locate on Ebay a key dealer in AU who claimed to have key blanks. My locksmith doesn't seem to think these keys are correct. While he's working on it, I'm trying to figure out what other avenues I have available to me..

Any ideas/help would be appreciated

Bob Conabee
New City, NY
:confused:
Bob,

As an aside to all this I'd like to offer my recent experiences with a locksmith AND the Keys 4U dude. I ordered key blanks from him and got them so fast I thought they were mailed from the US. He's good people to deal with!

These are steel keys and locksmiths here in CO charge $40 per key to cut them. This is due to the wear and tear on their equipment.

And, lastly, I had to have one of my other bikes re-keyed (key broke off in ignition switch). Total charge for a mobile locksmith to come to my home, remove and disassemble switch, and custom cut three new keys was $100. He spent almost two hours at my place and I felt I got a great job done considering his efforts.

Good luck with your key problem!
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

beemerboy wrote:These are steel keys and locksmiths here in CO charge $40 per key to cut them. This is due to the wear and tear on their equipment.
I'm suffering from a severe lack of sleep right now so I probably shouldn't post, but this excuse sounds like total BS to me... wear and tear from cutting steel blanks?

That's just wrong...

The last key I had cut, about four years ago, was steel. The shop did it free of charge. Who even uses non-steel keys these days?
-Craig
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

DesmoDog wrote:
beemerboy wrote:These are steel keys and locksmiths here in CO charge $40 per key to cut them. This is due to the wear and tear on their equipment.
I'm suffering from a severe lack of sleep right now so I probably shouldn't post, but this excuse sounds like total BS to me... wear and tear from cutting steel blanks?

That's just wrong...

The last key I had cut, about four years ago, was steel. The shop did it free of charge. Who even uses non-steel keys these days?
I'm with you on this. I thought the locksmith was ripping me off when it hit me with the charge however, no other locksmith in town would touch my steel keys and all of them directed me to this guy, one of three shops in town who could do the job.

I vowed never to use him again and when I needed help with getting my other bike re-keyed I called a mobile locksmith who was great to work with. While he was at my place I posed the same question to him and he backed up the other guy's rates by explaining that the wheel used to cut steel keys costs something like $250+ dollars and will hold up to 8 to 10 steel key cuttings before it has to be replaced.

I don't know. I still can't help but feel I was screwed and, frankly, I found most locksmiths to be a tad arrogant. It's like they KNOW they have you by the short hairs so who are you going to go to?

I'll keep looking for an alternative but for the time being that's what life is like here. :rant:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

beemerboy wrote:I'm with you on this. I thought the locksmith was ripping me off when it hit me with the charge however, no other locksmith in town would touch my steel keys and all of them directed me to this guy, one of three shops in town who could do the job.
In thinking about this today I've realized a lot of the keys I'm thinking about don't look like steel where they're cut... but still. I'm amazed a $250 cutter is shot after 10 keys?

There's not much you can do about it I guess... and if it wasn't true, you'd think there'd be somone willing to do it for less...
-Craig
Stingray230SX
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

I used the guy from aus to get xtra keys when i bought my 907 in early 2004(the P.O. didnt find the original key when i bought my bike(in a bunch of pieces)so i ordered 4 new keys when he finally did find it so hopefully i wont ever be without one!)my local locksmith didnt give me any flack about cutting them though and they all work well....

If i recall there were two types of blanks shown and it does matter which style your bike used ie:there was an xtra groove in one style that wasnt in the other so u will need to know for sure

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

[quote="
If i recall there were two types of blanks shown and it does matter which style your bike used ie:there was an xtra groove in one style that wasnt in the other so u will need to know for sure

doug[/quote

There isin't an extra groove, it's the shape of the one groove that makes the difference. The 906/early 907 groove is almost "L" shaped, whereas the later 907s are a true"V' shape.
As to cutting steel blanks, wen't to four local 'smiths, three said would cut at no extra charge,$1.50/$3.50. Fourth wouldn't at all. Reason given and agreed by all is takes different wheel to cut steel without short life. BUT, short life was no where near as short as quoted above.
Keys 4 Classics as i posted above sent later model blanks as i didn't realise Ducati used up supply of 906 tumblers left on shelf. My early 907[0920] used 906 tumbler. As soon as told something wrong, Keys 4 Classics immediately sent right blanks at no charge.
Still have 1 blank for later 907, will send to first PM for postage.
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Well i guess my offer of free blank response shows how desperate people are for blanks. ZERO response! Put postage deal in there to weed out to many responses, wasn't even going to charge that.
Consider the offer closed!
Stingray230SX
year: 1992

Post by Stingray230SX »

when i bought my keys off of e-bay they were decently cheap(6 bucks for two(2)so i bought 4)so now with my one original i have 5 total,all cut though,and all work well(i guess my locksmith knew what he was doing!)
this thread made me go look for my 3 spares(i keep 1 in each of my two vehicles cause the bikes stored in my parents garage) though,cause i had moved back in october and couldnt remember where i put those small items,after an panicked 2 hour search all three turned up!!!

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD