vapor lock during summer riding

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Fulvia-hf
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

vapor lock during summer riding

Post by Fulvia-hf »

last summer season it happened frequently that my 906 ran out of fuel and stalled. After some 15 minutes, often less, I was able to restart and continue my journey. I assume it is vapor lock as the fuel tank was never empty and I could see fuel in the in-line fuel filter. My bike is fitted with the electric fuelpump.
Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Re: vapor lock during summer riding

Post by Mc tool »

I would check the tank breather. Probly easiest to ride bike untill it stops and then quickly remove fuel cap . It should just open without any vacuum in the tank or sucking noises.
Check the gause filter at the carb too I have seen crap build up untill it blocks this filter.Once fuel flow stops this crap then slides back down the fuel line thus clearing the filter....bike runs again untill fuel flow lifts crap back up to the filter........nearly drove me nuckin futs untill the problem revealed itself when I removed the float valve and a wee sausage of shit popped out with the fuel .....damn near didnt see it neither...... in the dark and rain 😆
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Fulvia-hf

Post by Fulvia-hf »

This morning I have undressed my Paso to discover that the fuel line coming from the petcock was squeezed between a coolant hose and the hose for the crankcase ventilation. It was almost flat and I can imagine when heat is applied it would deform to the point were it blocks the flow of fuel to the carburator completely. New fuel line installed and a protective sleeve fitted to prevent this from happening again. Test ride this afternoon!
Fulvia-hf

Post by Fulvia-hf »

The test ride was successful! The Paso 906 performed flawlessly. @Mc tool; Thanks for your help.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

All good 🙂, pleased you got it sorted.
Sometimes when you look back after finding such a fault, you realise this thing has been giving you grief for a while ........🤔.
🙂
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time