Confused with my new Love

discussions specific to the 907IE
Moose

Confused with my new Love

Post by Moose »

I have waited thirteen years to own a Ducati and I decided to purchase a 93 907IE, Red. The first couple of days she started up great, however that did not last long. I charged the battery and cleaned the connections and she still wouldn't turn. I picked up a new battery and everything was great again for a couple of days until I went out this morning and once again she wouldn't turn, the battery is drained again. Is anyone familiar with this problem, I am thinking it might be the voltage regulator, not sure though? Any help would be greatly appreciated, all I want to do is get out there and ride!!! :sad:

Thanks,
Mark
mrinflux
year: 0

903 Charging problem

Post by mrinflux »

Mark,

is your 907 hooked up to a battery tender? 907s are infamous for not holding a charge. The great folks at Ducati designed this beautiful m/c that handles superbly and runs so well, and yet they couldn't figure out how to make the battery hold a charge. it makes you wonder. i've heard different theories: some say it's the clock, others say it's the computer, still others opine it's the fuel pump. regardless of the cause, the effect is always the same: your 907 battery won't hold a charge. welcome to the wonderful world of Ducati!!!! Keep your 907 hooked up to a battery tender and it'll start every time.

enjoy!
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Mark,

Grab a volt meter and check the voltage when it's running. at 3500 RPM you should see more than 13.5 volts. If not, then you will likely need a voltage regulator.

Take the time to make sure all com=nnections are very clean including the ground straps that go from the frame to the engine.

The wires coming out of the alternator housing and go to the regulator need to be inspected closely and cleaned.

Electrex makes a relacement for the Paso. They have a trouble shooting flow chart too.
KillerB
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

Moose,

I have a handy little wiring diagram I made for the Electrex RR51 voltage regulator unit if you find that is the problem.

Regards, B
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Moose, looks, that You have regulator problem, or bad connections in cables, also can be those battery terminals..... Remember to check also very carefully those wires, what comes from stator to up and there are very bad quality connectors in left side near radiator!!! They are melted from many 907IE and then You can loose also that stator system, NOT ONLY regulator !!!! That charging voltage measure is very good to do first. At idle close 12.5V, but when over 3000, or so, then it must be close 13.5-14.3V

Happy hunting and welcome to "land of bad electrics" :funny:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thank you all for your help. I am going to check the voltage and go from there. What a website, filled with people who care. :thumbup:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

We are "PASOMENs" ! :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Rogero
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

Hopefully we'll have badges to prove it soon :thumbup:
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Had this same problem with my 907 for the last 2 years. replaced battery and worked fine. let set for anything over two weeks and battery would be dead. Disconnect ground after riding and bike could sit for weeks and hold charge. Came to conclusion clock was draining[very loud and not keeping time] battery. Finally found out how to disable. Started today after more than three weeks, no problem. JMHO
beemerboy

not me...

Post by beemerboy »

I read all the replies here and find myself very fortunate not to have a battery/charging problem. I've let my 907 go several weeks without being on a trickle charger and noticed that the clock keeps perfect time. I put a gel battery in it last year which never fails to start the bike, the only thing I've noticed is that the headlight dims slightly when the turn signal is in use.
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
KillerB
year: 1991

Post by KillerB »

beemerboy,

I think the dimming headlight and dashboard lights may just be a normal thing with these bikes as mine does the same thing.

Regards, B
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Same on mine, flash the headlamp and everything dims! I thought it was an optional extra!

An optimate battery charger / trickle charger is an absolute must especially if the bike is alarmed.

Can't believe the clock would drain the battery so quickly. when I was in school we used to power electric clocks from the juice of lemons..... Could there be a faulty bit of wiring in the clock region?
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
qldman36

Post by qldman36 »

Most defininetly faulty piece of wiring. It's inside the POS Fiat clock!
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Many years ago i measured clock current and it was very high... remembering about 50-100mA, what drains battery "enough" for about 2 weeks and these big twins NEED very well charged battery to managed turn engine. Battery lifes are about 3 years, if luck, then maybe 4...... :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

I have had need to replace my battery after 7 months....
I don't believed it.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019