Ignition Problem

discussions specific to the 907IE
Timbo

Ignition Problem

Post by Timbo »

Hello Everyone
Im having problems starting my 907.Turn ignition on, pump fuel etc all working,Press starter button and just getting a clicking noise from coil area of bike : :confused:
The battery is new and fully charged and there doesnt seem a problem there.
The last time I started it was about five weeks ago and it worked fine.
Can anyone assist.
Cheers :thumbup:
Timbo
( Also now have 851 for my on going collection of thoroughbreds)
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

...."clicking noise from coil area"...??? Seems, that You have some problem, propably bad/dirty connections in that starting relay circuit, or main starter circuit. If that starting solenoid "clicks" normally, then problem seems to be in starter, or main cables, but that strange noise can come from some voltage loss in starter button/relay circuit, that causes not enough strong force to keep starter relay on.... If You have voltmeter, check, where is that voltage drop/loss. Put negative to ground and check with positive pole, where You have enough voltage and where not enough! That multimeter is MUST tool with Ducatis! :funny:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Antti
Thanks I will check as you say and will let you know.I just cant understand it,it was working fine last time it was used,been stood in garage for about five weeks came to use it Sunday to take it for a spin in the local bike meeting ( charity run in aid of sick children over 2,000 bikes) and nothing!!!.
Im leaving for work soon so Ill check it out tomorrow and let you know.
Cheers
Tim :thumbup:
Duc750
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

This may sound obvious but have you charged the battery since it last ran

Wet battery's lose 1% of their charge every day so 6 weeks standing equals 50% charge
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

As Duc750 say, its also possible, that Your battery didnt have enough juice to turn big twin, what needs, that battery if full of charge and that Pasos clock take huge amount of current, if its working. If voltage drops dramatically, when starting, then You have battery problem(or starter have shortcut). They can check easily Your battery also in good battery shop with load test meter. And sometimes new batteries are also shit, but surely they have warranty in them. That happened one time to my VW Passat battery. :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Timbo

Faulty ignition unit

Post by Timbo »

Antti,Duc
I have done as you have suggested Antti,and have traced the problem down to the starter soleniod ? at the side of the bike.Duc yeah the battery was fully charged and with tester used voltage was getting to unit but when starter button pressed just clicking noise.
Im awaiting a call from local Ducati dealer re cost :sad:
Antti do you know of any interchagable units that would work ? if cost is too high.
The weather here the last couple of day has been bright warm sunshine and Im ready to take her for a run but this problem....ahhh.
Have had that horrible cold nasty stuff called snow couple of weeks ago.Antti do you still ride in the stuff up there ?
Ill let you know the cost of the unit when I find out
Cheers
Timbo :thumbup:
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Timbo, that original 907IE Hitachi starting relay is just same unit, what Ducati have used to these day in near every modell since 907 AND its CHEAP from Ducati dealer. I really cant remeber, how much, but so cheap, that i bought one for spare, if need that part quickly in middle of driving season, so buy that original Hitachi realay, thats my advice. I am electrician and i have heard, that its very realible starting relay :thumbup: Nothing, like that Lucas shitty part in 750, where i have changed ALSO that Hitachi unit. :laugh: Not anymore problems since in my 750 starting circuit. I have also made bigger 16square mm wires to both bikes starting main cables, what is also important, that any voltage drop happen in those cables!

...."Antti do you still ride in the stuff up there ?".... Did U mean my Ducatis? If so, next summer: saturdays 907IE(if good weather!!!), sundays 750 Paso(if good weather!!!), ST4S, another days, (no matter, what weather...) HAHAHAHAHAHAH...... I have fixed my both Pasos to so good condititons, that they are now ready to my museum and this newer ST4S is for daily use.... :funny: But anyway, that ST4S is horrible bike to maintain compared to Pasos :sad: There is TOO MUCH allkind stuff inside ST4S frame and no space at all... better take engine away, when check valve adjustments! BUT 117 hp with Ducati Ecu and 128hp with FIM 59 ECU, what is 46 hp MORE, than in "not tuned" 907IE :funny: :funny: :funny: My 907IE:s engine is tuned many ways, but not yet dynoed...maybe this next summer ill check, how much she have... :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Duc750
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Post by Duc750 »

I would guess that starter relay is a common part on a load of vehicles, Also worth checking Ducati UK prices against some of our European friends for the part as when I had to get a new float chamber bowl for my Mikunis I found that they were less than half the cost in France !!!!!
Timbo

Starter problems

Post by Timbo »

Duc
Thanls for that,Ive ordered a new unit via local Ducati dealer cost plus p+p £24.00p not bad Im pleasantly surprised........still hasnt arrived yet though, ordered it two days ago.
Ride Safe
Timbo