Ignition problem

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

dewjantim
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Ignition problem

Post by dewjantim »

Decided to get my much neglected Paso 750 running today. I cleaned the carb, replaced the battery, replaced the fuel pump, and turned the key. Nothing.....nothing at all...... no power anywhere. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and all was well. The bike hadn't been started in a couple of years but it started easily before now. I crossed the terminals on the solenoid and the starter cranks with the key on. Is there a master fuse that I don't know about. Just thought I would try to get some pointers before tearing into the ignition switch, kill switch, and all the other main connections......
He who dies with the most toys...... is still dead.....
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Ignition problem

Post by nickta »

Hi.

Have you fitted the modification that is in the FAQ's that inserts a relay into the start system. 12v to the start solenoid goes through one of the fuses, through the kill switch and the start button and back to the solenoid. Without the wiring diagram in front of me, it may also go through the key switch and the fuse box again. The relay takes out he kill switch. Being 1980's vintage switching, the contacts take a beating so they tend to wear/melt/burn /corrode and fall to bits. The relay can take a bit more of a hiding than the kill/start switches, so generally will last longer and if it does go toes up, throw it away and put in a new one.

I gather the lights on the dash are all lighting up when you turn the ignition on? Clip a multimeter on the start solenoid +ve side and go through the start sequence. If no 12 volts, then one of the switches will be an issue. Or the relay if one has been fitted.

Cheers.

Nick.
dewjantim
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by dewjantim »

It was just a bad connection, fixed and running now.
He who dies with the most toys...... is still dead.....
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Hope you remembered how you fixed it ....coz if you only fixed one bad connection you have a few more to go :-)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time