charching problems.

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
reo
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

charching problems.

Post by reo »

Hi.
Some charching problems. Bike is 1990 Sport. 3 wires from alternator, 2 yellow and 1 red. AC between yellow 1 and red is 34 Volt. AC between yellow 2 and red is 34 Volt. AC between yellow 1 and 2 is 80 Volt.
Zero Ohm between all wires and ground.
Is it stator or rotor who is fooling me?

Have 12,4DCV over the battery. No reaction when starting/ reving up. Battery slowly loose U. New aftermarket regulator and battery after the battery boild last sommer.

When connecting vires from alternator to regulator i follow instruction from regulator manufactor (SHIN YO):
Connect yellow 1 and 2 from alter. to one yellow coming from reg.
Connect red vire from alter. to the other yellow coming from reg.

Some advice please.
REO
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: charching problems.

Post by higgy »

there are instructions in the 906 FAQ
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
reo

Post by reo »

Thanks.

I have already look at these treads, but cant find anything useful there. Almost everything I read about charging problems is about overcharging. My bike is NOT charging. And I can`t find help whith correct readings af ACVolt from the alternator.

REO
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

Stator, 34 volts is too low. Check the connector between the stator and the regulator, you may find it need repair as it is very common and the first part of the chain to go bad on most Paso's. Be sure to check each and every gr ound as well
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

reo the instructions of the Electrex reg/rect. show the same wiring as the Shin Yo instructions but it says if the measured voltage between the two yellow wires is between 50-100V you should wire the reg/rect like on the first picture hence to connect yellow 1 from the reg/rect to one yellow wire from the alternator and yellow 2 to the other. In this case the red wire isn`t used and can be isolated. I`d try that.
reo

Post by reo »

Thank you for the tip Paso 750.

I have an older description of Electrex showing the same connection as the Shin Yo. This I have followed when two different vendors show the same connection. When searching on the internet I found a new wiring diagram from ElectroSport with an additional piece of information that describes the same thing you mention. I send an email to ElectroSport (http://www.electrosport.com) on the topic and has today been confirmed by Mr. Kyle Wood - Sales Manager Procom Engineering / Electro Sport that connect yellow 1 and 2 are correct. The red is not in use.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-r ... ctions.pdf