Misc ramblings of a 907 owner

discussions specific to the 907IE
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Misc ramblings of a 907 owner

Post by DesmoDog »

I put money down on my 907 in 1990 after talking with a dealer and seeing a faxed copy of a picture. It's #130, I finally picked it up in the spring of 1991, and I've owned it ever since. At first I put about 5000 miles a year on it. Then I started buying other bikes, and it got ridden less. I bought a 900ss at the end of 1995, and the 907 never really got ridden after that. The 900 got traded in on a 996 back in 2000, and that's what I've been riding since.

Last year I didn't even ride the 996 much. The roads around Michigan pretty much suck so it's not all that fun to take out. The 907 never even got taken out of storage.

This year I decided it was time for an adventure, so I rode in the Motogiro d'Italia on a rented Ducati Monster S4. Rode about 1000 miles over six days, and enjoyed the bike a lot. I had been thinking about getting a Monster S2R, now I'm pretty serious about it. The problem is, I'd have to sell something to get it. No room, no money, too many projects already, you get the idea.

So today I took the 907 out and rode it to work.

Yikes.

After having been on the 996 and a 916 powered Monster, the 907 seems surprisingly slow. (I wonder if the S2R would seem as slow?) It sounds great, but seems rather sluggish both in the handling and acceleration departments. I couldn't believe how much I was getting blown around on the road, I certainly don't remember THAT happening before. I almost wonder if something isn't wrong with it? But I did check things over before riding it, it seems fine? Hmmm...

I've thought about selling the bike before, but then I'd go ride it, get a big smile on my face, and decide to keep it just a little longer. Today was the first time I rode it and thought "yeah, it's time for a change..."

It will be on display at Mid-Ohio in the Ducati exhibit during vintage days in July. Someone I met in Italy has expressed interest in it and will be looking at it there. I'm now thinking the bike may not come home with me...

I'm not sure why I'm posting this? I guess I'm just trying to convince myself it's the right thing to do. I've owned it for 14 years now, and have a lot of fond memories. It will be hard to sell, but I just can't justify letting it sit around unused anymore. I also have a car I'm thinking of selling, so I don't HAVE to get rid of it, but I think it's time to let it go to someone who will use it.

Right? :confused:
-Craig
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

no, go & ride it again & this time do not compare it to the 996 or SR4. Ride it for what it is, a 15 year old 2 valve Ducati twin. It comes from a different time in motorcycling (& Ducati) history. Not all that long ago but in 1990 200 Kilometres an hour was still considered fast. you should not be comparing the 2 & 4 valve motors. they have very different characteristics & I believe different purposes. The 4 valve is there for racing. The 2 valve is for riding.

Ride the 907 for what she is, remember that grin that you used to get & remember the reasons you used to get it. If it is not still not there & you have no desire to do anything other than leave her sitting in the shed, then let her go. If you remember the reasons you got her in the first place keep it. You will only regret selling later but then it is too late. This bike is a very special Ducati & there are not a lot left. Personally I would be selling the car. :D
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi I have not long ago bought my second 907 (both 1992 models) and I still love them, like redpaso said this is a special bike. 996, 998 and the monster’s dime a dozen. It’s not about how fast or how many values you have; it’s about the feel of the bike when you ride it. Some time ago I ordered a sport classic 1000 coming out some time later this year so buying the 907 was going to be a in between bike… but now I have been riding the thing again I don’t what to sell it, when the new one comes along……… what do I do. I’m thinking of keeping the 907 and selling the sport classic. Ride it again and enjoy a classic bike from the 90’s.
mike
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by mike »

I have to agree. The Paso series is NOT a modern bike. It has it's quirks, it won't be as reliable as a new one, but it's got a character of it's own.

The 750 Pasos are approaching 20 years old. TWENTY YEARS!

Find me another bike as beautiful 20 years later as the Paso is. We are acheiving "vintage" status!

Unless you really need to get rid of it, don't. These are unique, wonderful bikes that will continue to age gracefully (and I think will increase in value over time)
DuC-MaN
year: 1992

Re: Misc ramblings of a 907 owner

Post by DuC-MaN »

DesmoDog wrote: Right? :confused:
Wrong!

I read the story on your site about not having a job and buying your Ducati 907... that's the way to do it! :thumbup: I think you will be sorry when you sell your bike. It's your first new Ducati ever. You are the one who made the first scratches in the bodywork. You even lived together in the same room. It is a part of you, it made you the man you are today... :D

I wish I was the first owner of my 750Paso or 907... I did some inquiring on my '88 Pearl Paso. From 1994 on, I am the fourth owner. How many people were the owner between 1988 and 1994 couldn't be tracked down... I know just one thing, I will never sell my Paso. It is now dismantled to be rebuilt bit by bit, and then enjoy riding it only on special occasions (and why not?!) I had a '94 750 SSN beside it as a regular ride, I treaded in for a black :lick: '92 907, and yes the 907 is heavier, less easy to corner than the SSn, and off course the 907 is no match for a Monster S4 when they rocket away by a slight twist of the wrist... But.... what the Paso 907 has, is character! (no need to explain I hope) :cool:
| '92 907 I.E. | '88 750 Paso under construction |
Duck01

Post by Duck01 »

Nicely put guys!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
steele

Post by steele »

Dont sell it my friend remember a PASO is for life not just christmas :thumbup:
jomo

Post by jomo »

If anyone would like to buy this bike....The price has just doubled :cool:
Apex

Post by Apex »

Well, I still love looking at my 907, and it sure stops a lot of people in their tracks in front of the local coffee house (not Starbucks!!). Is it fast? Not really--although with high comp pistons and some head work done by Mark Sutton it does ok. And it sure can be a pain at times to find parts for and keep in perfect running order. But they just do not bring that much money and they have pretty much become classics. It's a bike you are now taking for granted but that you'll likely regret selling the next time you see a clean one.

Jeff
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Ok, a little update on the 907 saga.

As I said in another post here, I brought the title with me to VMD in case I sold the bike. But once I got there, and started talking to people about the bike, it kind of renewed my interest in it. Long story short, there were a few people interested in it, but I decided to keep it.

It needs some TLC, but nothing too major so maybe I'll start collecting ideas/parts for it and put some time into it this winter. My 750 GT project should be done by then so I'll need to have some other project to keep me busy anyway! (Yeah, right, like a lack of projects has ever been a problem for me?)

So thanks for all the opinions. Many people at VMD felt the same way and I think I've seen the light. The bike will be staying just where it is for now.

BTW: Before I even had it off the trailer, one woman told me she thought it was the best bike Ducati ever made. Then while I was loading it back on the trailer another woman wanted her picture taken with it. During the week I heard a lot of nice comments too. I was actually a little surprised at the reception it got, mixed in with all the other truly fantastic bikes that were there. Did I mention how much I liked the 900SS/SL that was next to it? Or any number of the old single cylinder racers that were there? Or some of the bevel bikes? Or the 851s, or...
-Craig
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

hey double dee,
you are funny. you remind me of a hillbilly i know with o.c.d.(obsessive,complusive disorder).
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done, I don't think you will be unhappy with your decision. I went to the GP at Phillip Island (Australia) and had the same type of interest in my 907.
Rogero
year: 1992

Post by Rogero »

The 907IE despite it's age still turns heads and stands out from the crowd. Mine is going to the British Moto GP on Sunday, it won't be the quickest but with it's race cans on it'll be one of the loudest on the motorway!

Has anybody got any idea for touch up paint for the red beauties, a couple of stone chips on the fairing are beginning to spread....
redpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by redpaso »

I use Ford "Monza Red" & it is as close to a perfect match as I have ever seen. Mine is a 906 which tends to be just that bit more orange than the 907 red but it is worth checking out :thumbup:
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by fasterdammit »

Not sure if it's available to everyone, but I found the best option is to bring the bike, or at least a piece of fairing closest to the one you want to paint (if you can't bring the piece itself) - to a local paint shop that has the ability to read the exact color from fairing. Then they can mix you up a pint or whatever of an exact color match - and that will take into account fading, time, sun damage, etc.

I did this after my 750 take a nose dive off the stand and split open a mirror pod. I used JB Weld to piece it back together again, then alternated wet sanding/priming until it was smooth (priming will bring out any tiny air bubbles in the weld material - these will naturally turn up ater you paint it). Before I got into that, though, I brought the piece into the shop and they 'light gunned' it to get the exact color of the piece. I had them mix me up a half pint, and voila - you can't even tell it's been repaired. Especially since it's been painted to match any wear and fade that's occurred over the years.

I did the same thing with my old Audi, which was Tornado Red - it's the closest thing to a guarantee that you'll get a color match on the paint.
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750